TAR is not dead.

JCIN

TheActionReport.com
Gold Member
There seems to be some confusion or miscommunication or just normal internet noise about the status of The Action Report. Some of that is probably my fault so I want to clear things up. This gonna be long so for the TL;DR crowd: TAR is still around just doing things differently.

For the readers among us:

TAR is not dead. I'm not going into details but the short story is Chad Pollman, Mark Griffin and I were partners in TAR. Chad passed away leaving Mark and I. Mark and I have went our separate ways amicably and no longer work together or are business partners. I own the TAR intellectual property and catalog. As long as I am around TAR will be around in one form or another.

Going forward TAR will be focused on more traditional forms of media production. Projects like Darren Appleton's Perfect Practice Series presented by Predator Cues and other similar projects. Working with Andrew Cleary we have plans for more instructional videos with the worlds best players and a different take on them from traditional videos. Check out the trailer for the new Appleton project here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XIKzO-tEwPw

Another thing I have been working on is getting the TAR catalog available OnDemand for anyone who missed a match or wants to own one. There are currently fourteen titles available on demand for streaming to any device or download to your computer. More are coming soon and the prices average about $1 per hour of content for the old matches. You can see the available titles here: https://vimeo.com/tarondemand/vod_pages

Something I just launched is to make available quality prints of the four photos that were by the table in the TAR Studio. Many people over the years expressed interest in buying them or getting copies. Now they are available. The response has been great. I have always thought there may be a niche for quality original photography and artwork for high end home and commercial rooms. I will be exploring that more in the future. Here are the just released prints: http://theactionreport.com/studio-series-paper-edition/

As for live streaming and matches. I no longer own or have access to the gear to stream at the level TAR was known for so that is one reason you will not be seeing any in the near future from TAR. Honestly though I dont know if I will ever stream again. I feel like I have done everything there is for me to do in that area and it doesnt really excite me anymore.

Same goes for matches. I look back at all TAR did and I am happy that there really is no match I wish we would of done that didnt happen. With one exception: I wish I could of gotten a partners game or ring game done in Nasty's name. If I ever do another match that would be the one to motivate me. Outside of that I think the TAR matches are probably done.

One thing I do want to do with TAR going forward is to produce more documentary style content. Its hard to monetize but telling stories of the game and people around it in a documentary style motivates me. I did some of this type thing focused on cuemakers in the past and we did the barebones of the style with player interviews on the podcasts and I want to take that further.

The TAR podcast is something I am proud to have created and in the future you will probably see it revived. My current thinking is much shorter in length with basically me talking about what is going on with TAR and maybe some opinion mixed in. If I decide to get deep into it I may go the whole Skype route and have guests on which I know would be more interesting. The podcast will come back just not sure how yet.

So thats it. TAR is still around and will be around just going in a new direction. TAR was ahead of the industry with PPV man on man matches, the podcast and a few other things. My goal is to keep innovating and creating interesting content for the people who have supported TAR over the years and people who haven't even entered the game yet. Thirty years from now I want some new player to see an interview with Shane or Efren, a photo on a pool room wall, a documentary or instructional that TAR did and get excited about the game. Going forward that is what TAR will be doing.

In conclusion I want to thank everyone who has supported TAR since the beginning. TAR was born on this forum and would have never survived with out the support of the people who make it up. TAR isn't dead. Not even sick.

Last edited:

wixo3

welp
Silver Member
This is great news! My favorite part of TAR were the podcasts. It gave us a behind the scenes look into pool. It showed us what the players were really like when they could just be themselves, outside of competition. It also showed us some of the strategies, tips, tricks, and systems they use which provided information that wasn't always accessible and "out there". I learned so much from the podcasts, about the game, but also about the players. Some of the stories the players shared as well were pure gold! The filipinos always had me rolling, Efren, Bustamante, Alcano, and Alex were some of my favorite guests because of how silly they were. These podcasts never get old for me and I wanna thank you for making them!

Last edited:

Tooler

AhSheetMaDruars
Silver Member
Never say Never Justin....

In my opinion, TAR was the best thing that ever happened to the pool scene. Thanks for sticking around, and keeping things alive. We all miss Nasty, and I'm sure he's smiling at this.

:grin-angelic:

elvicash

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Some of my most worn shirts were TAR shirts. Will you be returning to the clothing / TShirt biz.

Whatever you do good luck - Dana in Indy

IU Ames Mister

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
This is great news! I like the idea of more documentary style content and would really like to see the TAR podcasts back in some form or another. Those were spectacular!

JCIN

TheActionReport.com
Gold Member
Some of my most worn shirts were TAR shirts. Will you be returning to the clothing / TShirt biz.

Whatever you do good luck - Dana in Indy

I have a master plan for a web store that allows you to mix and match shirt color and print color with sizes from Small to 5X all printed on demand. I have a printer in vegas that does this now for a company I have worked with in the past I just need to finish building the store.

So hopefully sooner rather than later shirts, hats, patches all will be available.

Cardigan Kid

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
This is great news! I like the idea of more documentary style content and would really like to see the TAR podcasts back in some form or another. Those were spectacular!

The TAR podcasts/interviews were virtual gold mines with nuggets of valuable information throughout.
I've watched some multiple times just to look back for a certain aspect of the game which was discussed and the way it was talked about would resonate or stick in my mind better than any book.

As fun as watching the matches are, I felt the learning was enhanced by the podcast. Very high quality content.

SureShot21

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hey Justin, on behalf of myself and most other pool player, I want to thank you for what you, Mark and TAR have done for the sport. The match ups, podcasts, and interviews have been some of the most entertaining, colorful, and informative forms of media regarding pool. I understand the position you are in now and want to gift my support in your future endeavors with TAR. Many know that you have lived the world of pool for a while now and most people who would combat you do not understand the state/market of the sport. I just want to express the significance that your work has had not only on myself but many other pool fanatics. Godspeed.

JCIN

TheActionReport.com
Gold Member
Hey Justin, on behalf of myself and most other pool player, I want to thank you for what you, Mark and TAR have done for the sport. The match ups, podcasts, and interviews have been some of the most entertaining, colorful, and informative forms of media regarding pool. I understand the position you are in now and want to gift my support in your future endeavors with TAR. Many know that you have lived the world of pool for a while now and most people who would combat you do not understand the state/market of the sport. I just want to express the significance that your work has had not only on myself but many other pool fanatics. Godspeed.

Thanks for the kind words I appreciate them.

JCIN

TheActionReport.com
Gold Member
The TAR podcasts/interviews were virtual gold mines with nuggets of valuable information throughout.
I've watched some multiple times just to look back for a certain aspect of the game which was discussed and the way it was talked about would resonate or stick in my mind better than any book.

As fun as watching the matches are, I felt the learning was enhanced by the podcast. Very high quality content.

There is an amazing amount of knowledge in all those interviews and discussions. Its a lot to wade through but there is quality in there. The stuff with Efren in particular is gold to me simply because there are not a lot of in depth interviews with him in english out there.

SureShot21

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
There is an amazing amount of knowledge in all those interviews and discussions. Its a lot to wade through but there is quality in there. The stuff with Efren in particular is gold to me simply because there are not a lot of in depth interviews with him in english out there.

I still don't understand the Phillipino version of rotation TO THIS DATE!

cleary

Honestly, I'm a liar.
Silver Member
The future of TAR

iw4ydXLnN1z0O.gif

NitPicker

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
There seems to be some confusion or miscommunication or just normal internet noise about the status of The Action Report. Some of that is probably my fault so I want to clear things up. This gonna be long so for the TL;DR crowd: TAR is still around just doing things differently.

For the readers among us:

TAR is not dead. I'm not going into details but the short story is Chad Pollman, Mark Griffin and I were partners in TAR. Chad passed away leaving Mark and I. Mark and I have went our separate ways amicably and no longer work together or are business partners. I own the TAR intellectual property and catalog. As long as I am around TAR will be around in one form or another.

Going forward TAR will be focused on more traditional forms of media production. Projects like Darren Appleton's Perfect Practice Series presented by Predator Cues and other similar projects. Working with Andrew Cleary we have plans for more instructional videos with the worlds best players and a different take on them from traditional videos. Check out the trailer for the new Appleton project here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XIKzO-tEwPw

Another thing I have been working on is getting the TAR catalog available OnDemand for anyone who missed a match or wants to own one. There are currently fourteen titles available on demand for streaming to any device or download to your computer. More are coming soon and the prices average about $1 per hour of content for the old matches. You can see the available titles here: https://vimeo.com/tarondemand/vod_pages

Something I just launched is to make available quality prints of the four photos that were by the table in the TAR Studio. Many people over the years expressed interest in buying them or getting copies. Now they are available. The response has been great. I have always thought there may be a niche for quality original photography and artwork for high end home and commercial rooms. I will be exploring that more in the future. Here are the just released prints: http://theactionreport.com/studio-series-paper-edition/

As for live streaming and matches. I no longer own or have access to the gear to stream at the level TAR was known for so that is one reason you will not be seeing any in the near future from TAR. Honestly though I dont know if I will ever stream again. I feel like I have done everything there is for me to do in that area and it doesnt really excite me anymore.

Same goes for matches. I look back at all TAR did and I am happy that there really is no match I wish we would of done that didnt happen. With one exception: I wish I could of gotten a partners game or ring game done in Nasty's name. If I ever do another match that would be the one to motivate me. Outside of that I think the TAR matches are probably done.

One thing I do want to do with TAR going forward is to produce more documentary style content. Its hard to monetize but telling stories of the game and people around it in a documentary style motivates me. I did some of this type thing focused on cuemakers in the past and we did the barebones of the style with player interviews on the podcasts and I want to take that further.

The TAR podcast is something I am proud to have created and in the future you will probably see it revived. My current thinking is much shorter in length with basically me talking about what is going on with TAR and maybe some opinion mixed in. If I decide to get deep into it I may go the whole Skype route and have guests on which I know would be more interesting. The podcast will come back just not sure how yet.

So thats it. TAR is still around and will be around just going in a new direction. TAR was ahead of the industry with PPV man on man matches, the podcast and a few other things. My goal is to keep innovating and creating interesting content for the people who have supported TAR over the years and people who haven't even entered the game yet. Thirty years from now I want some new player to see an interview with Shane or Efren, a photo on a pool room wall, a documentary or instructional that TAR did and get excited about the game. Going forward that is what TAR will be doing.

In conclusion I want to thank everyone who has supported TAR since the beginning. TAR was born on this forum and would have never survived with out the support of the people who make it up. TAR isn't dead. Not even sick.

What you guys did/have done, is pure gold. Just wanted to say thank you and wish you the best in your future endeavors. Looking forward to TAR's evolution.

3RAILKICK

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The future of TAR

iw4ydXLnN1z0O.gif

Imma thinkin....good thing you two live far apart.

Bail money could become stout.

But, if it gets filmed...a little preemptive crowdfunding for bonding out could take off.

Like you two need the encouragement...have fun.

bfdlad

T-Wheels
Silver Member
I didn't think TAR was dead. I had a feeling that it was getting ready to regenerate. Sounds like TAR will be more diverse in the future with a little something for everyone. Best of luck to you and hope to see you make $$$.

JCIN

TheActionReport.com
Gold Member
The future of TAR

iw4ydXLnN1z0O.gif

Just exactly like that. But with more strippers, guns and firetrucks.

Edit to add: I'm cracking up picturing Ken as the talent, Andy on the ladder, Tim and Amy on the camera and me and you on the monitor. Add in Incardona and Bobby Cotton and its the most amazing mental .gif ever.

Last edited: