The Jointed Cue Pool Hall Re-Opened After 4 Years in Sacramento

Poolplaya9

Tellin' it like it is...
Silver Member
I've played a number of tournaments here, glad to hear it is back open. Very old school room. Make a point to eat here as well if you can. The burgers are real good, better than most if nothing has changed. Breakfast is good too.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Here is a report of the January 1979 tournament from the March, 1979 National Billiard News. I don't remember playing, but it was the 70s. ;)

Scan20211110_0001.jpg

Cuebuddy

Mini cues
Silver Member
I hate to hear this. Pool is supposed to be dying in this country. We have a couple new rooms in Denver too. WT-eff?

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
500bux for first. Chicken feed even then. ...
It was probably $20 to get in. Here is the larger tournament mentioned in the article. It's not at the Jointed Cue, but it does bring back memories of Terry and the regulars there. Terry was a huge positive for pool in California. I remember when he brought Lassiter to Sacramento State for an exhibition in the late 70s or early 80s.

(I wonder who this McReaty guy was. ;) )

Scan20211110_0003.jpg

Scan20211110_0004.jpg

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
It was probably $20 to get in. Here is the larger tournament mentioned in the article. It's not at the Jointed Cue, but it does bring back memories of Terry and the regulars there. Terry was a huge positive for pool in California. I remember when he brought Lassiter to Sacramento State for an exhibition in the late 70s or early 80s.

(I wonder who this McReaty guy was. ;) )

View attachment 615994

View attachment 615995
A lot of very good players in this event! Current Montana cuemaker Jack Madden who posts on here showed his pool chops by coming in third. They paid down to 16th place and I missed the money by one match, getting knocked out by my buddy Ronnie A. I did bet on Keith during his late night money match with Louie and again when he played Hubbart in the finals. Lost money on the first set and won that back plus extra on set two. It looked like Keith was dead and then he woke up and played perfect pool from there on. The entry fee in this one was $150 and they added 2,500. 13-16th paid $250, lol.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Here is a report on the 1979 Father's Day Tournament. That was a tournament you planned your schedule around. Sax and Evelyn Dal Porto, "Billy Ray" Suden, Bucktooth Cook, Hawaiian Brian, Tony Annigoni, Tom Ryan, Roy Futternick, Al "The Plumber", Gene Ahola ... hard to believe it was 42 years ago.

The tournament room at the Jointed Cue had about 300 theater seats raised well up to see the action.

Scan20211112_0004.jpg

Scan20211112_0005.jpg

SBC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

CocoboloCowboy

Cowboys are my hero's
Silver Member
I read on him before...doesn't seem bitter at all.

The legal system allowing him to do this is the real crime.

Had a similar thing going on with handicapped parking spots, local avocation was busy measuring signs, size of parking spots, etc. If they did not confirm with A.R.S. Statutes he flood the civil courts with civil cases seeking damages💵💵💵💵💵.

Dead Money

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Had a similar thing going on with handicapped parking spots, local avocation was busy measuring signs, size of parking spots, etc. If they did not confirm with A.R.S. Statutes he flood the civil courts with civil cases seeking damages💵💵💵💵💵.
There are groups of "public interest" lawyers across the country running this game. One of them tried to do something related to this when I was in the self-serve car wash business.

Happy to see this great old place back open.

L.S. Dennis

Here is a report on the 1979 Father's Day Tournament. That was a tournament you planned your schedule around. Sax and Evelyn Dal Porto, "Billy Ray" Suden, Bucktooth Cook, Hawaiian Brian, Tony Annigoni, Tom Ryan, Roy Futternick, Al "The Plumber", Gene Ahola ... hard to believe it was 42 years ago.

The tournament room at the Jointed Cue had about 300 theater seats raised well up to see the action.

View attachment 616261
View attachment 616262
Glad to see the picture of Sax and Evelyn in his day Sax was hard to beat, I’m talking mid 60’s.
I remember probably his biggest accomplishment is when he placed 7th at the Star Dust open against all the heavyweights of the time. He was so proud of that, that he has a cartoon character of himself painted on the plate glass window of his pool room in Redwood City saying “ Home of world’s top 7th champ”.

If I’m not mistaken he was under the employ of Brunswick for a period of time in which he did the ‘Masked Marvel’ circuit thing for a while.

Jack Madden

John Madden Cues
Silver Member
A lot of very good players in this event! Current Montana cuemaker Jack Madden who posts on here showed his pool chops by coming in third. They paid down to 16th place and I missed the money by one match, getting knocked out by my buddy Ronnie A. I did bet on Keith during his late night money match with Louie and again when he played Hubbart in the finals. Lost money on the first set and won that back plus extra on set two. It looked like Keith was dead and then he woke up and played perfect pool from there on. The entry fee in this one was $150 and they added 2,500. 13-16th paid $250, lol.
Hey, thanks Jay. Living the pool dream of playing with the best of the best. Good memories, and get to build cues for some of them over the years.

Jack Madden

Jerry OC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
That was a great match, also enjoyed watching Louie Roberts play.