The real reason Jeanette Lee should be famous

Williebetmore

Member, .25% Club
Silver Member
I was conflicted about posting this video; but in response to numerous requests; here it is. She has never allowed this information to be disclosed in the past, but permitted me for the very special occasion of her induction into the WPBA Hall of Fame.

It is a story of amazing fortitude in overcoming physical pain and disability - truly more remarkable than any other athlete I have ever heard of....anyone questioning her love of the game, or her courage will most likely change their mind if they choose to view the entirety of the introduction on this video.

For those of you willing to sit through 20 minutes of medical based lecturing; this is the real story of Jeanette Lee's amazing accomplishment - it is a story I was never permitted to tell before: completely unique, tremendously heroic, and one that I shall never forget.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R4MW...274162":"yt-fb-app:favorite"}&action_ref_map=[]

chevybob20

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Wow. She's as tough as she is beautiful. It's hard to believe that a person can achieve the level of success that she has with a back disease that puts most others on disability, causes paralysis or even death. She truly is a special person and an inspiration.

pwd72s

recreational banger
Silver Member
Wow. She's as tough as she is beautiful. It's hard to believe that a person can achieve the level of success that she has with a back disease that puts most others on disability, causes paralysis or even death. She truly is a special person and an inspiration.

^^^^^^^^^^^^this.

Williebetmore

Member, .25% Club
Silver Member
Unfortunately the videographer did not show the slides. You can google "Harrington rods" and "scoliosis" to get examples of what a back looks like that has 2 rods the entire length of the spine. It is horrifying really....before I met Jeanette I had never had a patient with such surgeries that was not totally disabled. To think she became a champion player with such pain and disability is almost unbelievable to a medical professional.

just kick'n

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Black Widow

Wow. What a beautiful induction. I could not have sat there dry-eyed. Yes, getting old I guess. lol. I knew Jeanette had back surgeries and had steel rods in her back, but I never realized the seriousness of her condition, until viewing the video.
What an incredible lady to achieve such success in pool, and life. I have always been a fan of Jeanette, but now much more so.
Thanks for sharing the link on AZ. I sure hope everyone will check it out.

Last edited:

poolandpokerman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Wow. What a beautiful induction. I could not have sat there dry-eyed. Yes, getting old I guess. lol. I knew Jeanette had back surgeries and had steel rods in her back, but I never realized the seriousness of her condition, until viewing the video.
What an incredible lady to achieve such success in pool, and life. I have always been a fan of Jeanette, but now much more so.
Thanks for sharing the link on AZ. I sure hope everyone will check it out.

Don, thanks for sharing, missed talking to you in the AZ Room this year at the Derby. I never knew she had to play through all those issues. She is truly a remarkable story and lady. Tom

leto1776

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I remember first learning about her scoliosis when reading in book.Damn,can't imagine that kind of pain.

Rich R.

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I always knew Jeanette had some severe back problems but I was never aware of the true extent of those problems. Thanks for the video link.

Congrats to Jeanette. Induction into the HOF is truly deserved.

wahcheck

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
wow is right

Like others, I had heard of her having scoliosis and operations, but until this testimony, did not know much about the disease, and the extent or severity of suffering, pain, and debilitation associated with it. Yes, it is truly amazing what she has achieved in the face of such unimaginable adversity. My respect for her has grown not just because of her dedication, skills, and achievements in pool, but especially for her kind, generous, and brave heart.

cardiac kid

Super Senior Member
Silver Member
Don,

A great tribute to a great player. From a great individual I might add. You, Jen and a few others are the reasons I still "lurk" around AZ. Way too much negativity, jealousy and anger around here these days.

Hope you're feeling better than the last time I saw you.

Lyn

JoeyA

Efren's Mini-Tourn BACKER
Silver Member
Yes, Jeanette deserves all of the accolades she has "earned" and more.

Thanks for sharing this video.

She is also lucky to have a friend like you.

JoeyA

"T"

Son of Da Poet
Silver Member
Well done Don. She's been pretty open about battling scoliosis, but this really put it in perspective.

She's taken the phrase, "It takes a lot of work to make things look easy" to quite another level.

Thanks for posting this.

jingle

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I knew she had back issues, but had no idea of the magnitude.....it's amazing what she has overcome. Thanks for posting.

TATE

AzB Gold Mensch
Silver Member
This video is worth watching and is an amazing story (although I don't think most members here will watch it).

To summarize, Jeanette underwent 8 major surgeries to overcome a problem that cripples and even kills most people. She could be the greatest comeback story of any professional athlete.

This is a great story and I hope it stays on page 1 for a week. She can take you off and spot you a full spine doing it.

JB Cases

www.jbcases.com
Silver Member
You know, it's not only the playing. I have been fortunate enough to see Jeanette taking the time to greet the fans and work a booth, standing for an hour and graciously bending over to sign autographs, taking pictures and never once complaining.

I do shows and have to stand up for hours and I have a bulging disk. After a few hours I am in a lot of pain. When my back pain is bad I can barely play pool without feeling sharp pain.

Anyone of us who has chronic back pain knows how bad it can be. And yet what I feel is not even a 1000th of what Jeanette deals with.

And I echo Don's observation of Jeanette's generosity. I have seen her be so gracious and giving and kind. And yet also so very competitive and that can be off-putting. The same intensity that she brings to competition she also brings to the kind and generous side of her.

People would do well to emulate Jeanette's drive and determination and her business acumen. She is one of the few who truly understand that being a professional player isn't just about playing at a world class level.

Thank you for sharing this Don. I knew that it was bad but not this bad. I will vow to never complain about my back pain again and be thankful I haven't had to deal with what Jeanette has.

A huge congratulations to Jeanette Lee.

jazz_jg

Registered
What a miracle!!!!!

Wow, Only Jesus can do these kinda works in a persons life. Amazing!!! Can"t wait to meet her and her husband at the Four Bears Classic tournament in Newtown ND.

Williebetmore

Member, .25% Club
Silver Member
Absolutely amazing. Brought tears to my eyes.

Me too:). There were not many dry eyes in the house...a lot of players left with a new opinion of JL. What she has done is unprecedented in the annals of sport AND the annals of medicine. I've always wondered why Sports Illustrated never picked up on the real story.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2