The ref for the Shaw vs Ko Match should never be allowed to ref a match ever again

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The point everybody is missing is that it's a template rack and a rerack shouldn't be needed. Every event they use the accu rack there are issues with it.
Get one that works and eliminate this problem. Does the magic rack have this issue?
Jason

I have a couple different templates and it Is certainly possible to NOT get a perfect rack...ymmv, ya knlw?

Kid Dynomite

Dennis (Michael) Wilson
Silver Member
Ko is one of the best and an all around classy pro that from the sounds of this thread, did not get equal treatment by the referee.

I hope Shaw comes out with a strong statement on the referee, as I believe it would be a real character and respect builder for him that would boost his image. An image as a top tier professional player in all respects.

I hope the 2 of them have a 9 or 10 Ball challenge match in the near future with multiple sets or one long set. Winner breaks, a real shoot out and some one like Jay H. refereeing and racking for them.

The winning opponent should always protest unfair treatment of the opponent he defeated if it took place. Pool needs that and that caliber of pro players.

The win at all costs attitude never promotes the growth of any sport and stops a sport from having champions that fans look up to.

You must have missed this thread!

http://forums.azbilliards.com/showthread.php?t=445642

KD

Quesports

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm curious. Do racking issues come up in overseas events? To me it's becoming a real distraction one I never see in the events of the 80's and 90's.

poolscholar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm curious. Do racking issues come up in overseas events? To me it's becoming a real distraction one I never see in the events of the 80's and 90's.

Ah the good old days...knowledge about racking and breaking has advanced a TON in the last 10 years. The only way players will be happy is if is its rack your own. The break is the most important shot, says pool lore...how did Shane dominate the US Open for so many years?

Lots of myths and misinformation as well, ie "templates give a perfect rack every time".

one stroke

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Well the fact of the matter is Shaw can be a intimidating factor nothing new there , Ko simply does not have that personality he will just take it in stride keep his mouth shut during the match and bring in up later had Jason been playing Bergman I can assure you that little Boston terrier would have never let that go by ,, that's why he smoked him in a long race ,, Ko needs to get a little bite in his game to come over here and be successful

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member

The EuroTour adopted the 3-point rule and 9 on the spot some time ago so in some sense it is not an issue there. They have also been using tight racks for a while. Americans have been slower to adopt tight racks.

As has been pointed out, before about 2000, racking was not understood very well.

The Renfro

Outsville.com
Silver Member
The point everybody is missing is that it's a template rack and a rerack shouldn't be needed. Every event they use the accu rack there are issues with it.
Get one that works and eliminate this problem. Does the magic rack have this issue?
Jason

Yeah buddy... Go watch 2011 Mosconi Cup... They tossed the magic rack out after day 1. 2012 8ball Invitational they threw the magic rack after day 1..

Last nights issue was with the ref... They have someone taller tonight who can make sure they are frozen. Kenny is not overly tall and has had no issues.

Last year we had Chang trying to balance the 2 on the template and not drop it into the slot... That was fixed this year by moving the back node 1mm... There have been no complaints on the outer tables from the actual US Open players where they are racking for themselves. Next major pro event will be Bigfoot 10ball at DCC...

jasonlaus

Rep for Smorg
Silver Member
Yeah buddy... Go watch 2011 Mosconi Cup... They tossed the magic rack out after day 1. 2012 8ball Invitational they threw the magic rack after day 1..

Last nights issue was with the ref... They have someone taller tonight who can make sure they are frozen. Kenny is not overly tall and has had no issues.

Last year we had Chang trying to balance the 2 on the template and not drop it into the slot... That was fixed this year by moving the back node 1mm... There have been no complaints on the outer tables from the actual US Open players where they are racking for themselves. Next major pro event will be Bigfoot 10ball at DCC...

This isn't the first time its been discussed, so don't act like there hasn't been issues. If you fixed them, them good on you.
Funny you bring up stuff from 5 or 6 years ago lol.
Jason

PoolBum

Ace in the side.
Silver Member

Last nights issue was with the ref... They have someone taller tonight who can make sure they are frozen.

Another issue with the ref tonight. In game 12 against Biado Billy Thorpe jumped over the 6 ball and pocketed the 2, but fouled because he hit the 6. Biado saw it, Mark Wilson in the booth saw it, but guess who didn't see it? The ref. And since the ref didn't see it Thorpe just kept shooting and ran out that game.

jasonlaus

Rep for Smorg
Silver Member
Another issue with the ref tonight. In game 12 against Biado Billy Thorpe jumped over the 6 ball and pocketed the 2, but fouled because he hit the 6. Biado saw it, Mark Wilson in the booth saw it, but guess who didn't see it? The ref. And since the ref didn't see it Thorpe just kept shooting and ran out that game.

We shall see if Karma is a B or not
Jason

spartan

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Ok I have have get this out of the way. How short is this ref since there were many comments that he is short. Any chance that SVB or Alcano can take over as ref when either is eliminated in their match?:D

tableroll

Rolling Thunder
Silver Member
Regardless of my bet or anything else it is completely unfair that the ref re-racked the balls for Shaw and not when Ko asked for it. It should be even rules for both players, either re-rack for both or not at all.

Come f*cking on man. This is supposed to be a pro event. Get someone that doesn't look like one of Charlies Oompa lumpa's to ref fairly. Not fair and I'm sad to see things like that happen is a sport that can clear make the game fair.

Agreed. Very incompetent.

ctyhntr

RIP Kelly
Silver Member
Ed Liddawi posted on facebook that he made a bad call last night. Mistakes can happen and this man earns my continued respect. Hopefully others will emulate.

https://www.facebook.com/EdLiddawi

Good morning pool fans. After later review on video playback of the match between Carlo Biado and Billy Thorpe from a different angle, there was a bad call made on my part during a jump shot on a 2 ball over the 6. The shot WAS indeed a foul as the cue ball grazed the 6 on its way over still making the 2 ball. Billy Thorpe and Carlo Biado are known to be honest players and no ill intent was intended. The Cue ball totally eclipsed the 6 on its way over perfectly straight at the 2 ball and although the 6 ball, Cue ball and 2 ball were all being monitored, the movement on the six was not seen from that angle. I just want to take ownership of that mistake and sincerely apologize to Mr. Biado for a bad call. Unfortunately, errors are made as we are all human beings. In football, baseball and also basketball, refs occasionally make bad calls and pool is no different. Again, my deepest sincere apologies go out to Carlo Biado/ Carlo -"the black tiger"- Biado/ Carlo Biado (whichever is his REAL profile) and the billiard community as a whole.