The Siberian Express is About to Roll

Straightpool_99

I see dead balls
Silver Member
I feel like it really is just a numbers lottery once you’re talking about players who can consistently run 100-150 balls.

I guess there is a determination/focus factor that maybe some don’t have so they have a ceiling of 150 or whatever but being able to run that many (to me) means you can run balls indefinitely. Provided you don’t lose your focus, you get lucky after the break once in a while, you don’t get unlucky during or after the break ever, and the pocket never spits a ball back at you.

The more attempts made, the higher the chance you’ll be running balls when the stars align and 80+ break shots go smoothly.
I disagree.

The fact of the matter is, that with so many balls being run, there will be numerous tricky and unlikely scenarios that will eventually come up. Even someone like me, might be able to run 150 when the stars align, but beyond that, the odds start rapidly stacking against you. It's a little bit like smoking cigarettes. You may smoke 100, 1000 or even 10000 cigarettes and be more or less unharmed, but the more you smoke, the more likely you are to contract various diseases. Eventually the small odds become significant enough to matter. The numbers may be different in smoking and straight pool, but the principle is the same, the reckless players here being similar to heavy smokers. There is an element of luck involved in running big numbers in straight pool, that is undeniable, but the best of the best make their own luck. And you can't luck your way to 500 and beyond, it's just not possible.

Not only will the player have to know how to protect against unlikely, but devastating bad rolls, he must also be able to shoot himself out of traps on occation. He must know how to play every break shot correctly, which takes experience that many modern rotation players lack. Again, even if the player actually run most of the badly broken racks, eventually the chickens will come home to roost on this one, as well. The excellent pattern player who knows how to keep his mood and thinking stable and under control will prevail where more volatile players fail. The player must protect against skids, bad rolls and always conserve as much mental energy as possible.

Last edited:

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
... There is an element of luck involved in running big numbers in straight pool, that is undeniable, but the best of the best make their own luck. And you can't luck your way to 500 and beyond, it's just not possible.
One of the remarkable things about Schmidt's 626 is that he had only one shot that might have been around 50 percent. It was in the upper 500s just after a break shot and he had to play a medium-difficulty carom along the foot rail where a lot of balls were crowded together. Other than that, there was nothing verging on a "circus shot" in the run.

And I agree about playing the break shots correctly. I think Shane's breaks have already changed from the experience of several scratches.

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Ruslan won't run 250 IMO, maybe even won't get to 200 in the 1-2 weeks he's scheduled. He hasn't run past one rack in 30 minutes of trying. Huge difference between him and Shane.

mikemosconi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Ruslan won't run 250 IMO, maybe even won't get to 200 in the 1-2 weeks he's scheduled. He hasn't run past one rack in 30 minutes of trying. Huge difference between him and Shane.
If he has 1 to 2 weeks of attempts then anything can happen at his level of play. I watched him closely in person at the recent American 14.1 and he can run balls when he gets going. Please give him a few days to level out and then we shall see what he can do- it can occur at any time with players of his caliber.

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
Yow. Talk about your bad break results... :oops:

Ruslan breaking the second rack in his second try (from a bad CB position).

pj
chgo

ruslan break position.png
ruslan break 2.png

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
He messed up his position off the key ball, drifted more towards the rail than he wanted, so the control factor off the stack was not there and this is what happens-
He just did the same thing again from the other side... and missed the break ball completely.

So far no good...

pj
chgo

skip100

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Ruslan looks like one of the best in the world when he's on, but his B/C game is not pretty compared to his peers.

skip100

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Is this streaming somewhere other than the Legends of Pocket Billiards Facebook? It's forcing you to log in to view the page.

one stroke

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Zero doubt in my mind ,, he's been playing pretty good lately, working real hard on his game at SLA everyday he's in the area ,

wrldpro

H.RUN 311/Diamond W.R.
Gold Member
Silver Member
He was just warming up today. He just wanted to hit some balls on the table to see how it plays. He was up all night playing and his flight landed 1 hour before he was warming up. His backer just said if you would like to bet big on the 200 and 250 you said he won't run just make an offer. I'm just in the middle relaying a message so don't shoot the messanger.