The True Record Hi Run

billinboston

Registered
Can someone tell me why Mosconi's record is talked about so much ?
A great run ... Sure .... But HELLO ?? It was on a 4 x 8 ?!?!?
Isn't the regulation table a 4 1/2 x 9 ? Shouldn't the true record hi run be acknowledged as the person with the highest run ( with several witnesses ), on a 4 1/2 x 9 table ?
If Mosconi ran .... Say .... 850 on a 3 1/2 x 7 table ... Would that also be recognized as the hi run record ??? And speaking of that.... Is it possible that Mosconi does have the record hi run from the 30's -40's , when the regulation table back then was a 5 x 10 ?
I think he tore off a 365 or something like that, which to me, was way more impressive
Would love to hear some thoughts from you seasoned straight poolers.
Thanks, Bill

Poolplaya9

Tellin' it like it is...
Silver Member
He has the highest run on any size table. You seem to be forgetting that nobody has passed his record even on another 4x8. That is why it is still talked about, because it is still the record. Heck, it hasn't even been passed on a 3.5x7 yet. And I believe the regulation table size used to be 5x10 at one time so that is all relative too. The guys from back in that time would be scoffing at any record done on a 4.5x9.

bdorman

Dead money
Silver Member
Oh no! Bill is going to wake up the Straight Poolers.

A wise old man once said, Let Sleeping Dogs Lie.

Man the ramparts boys!

Cuebuddy

Mini cues
Silver Member
Isn't the regulation table a 4 1/2 x 9 ? Shouldn't the true record hi run be acknowledged as the person with the highest run ( with several witnesses ), on a 4 1/2 x 9 table ?
If Mosconi ran .... Say .... 850 on a 3 1/2 x 7 table ... Would that also be recognized as the hi run record ??? And speaking of that.... Is it possible that Mosconi does have the record hi run from the 30's -40's , when the regulation table back then was a 5 x 10 ?
I think he tore off a 365 or something like that, which to me, was way more impressive
Thanks, Bill

When I bought my last table in 07(Diamond Pro) I would tell others it was a regulation sized competition table. Now I just say a 9 footer, I rarely hear the term "regulation" any more. Tourneys seem to be played as much on Bar boxes as much as the bigger tables so the term regulation means less.....at least to me.

Mosconi's run has been debated and talked about many times here, was it the highest ever...probably not but it was a super human run that had witnesses and to many it makes no diff the size of the table.

JoeyInCali

Maker of Joey Bautista Cues
Silver Member
How is that record going to be broken when nobody plays that game anymore ?
Who do you know tours around shooting straight pool on 8 ft table
with 5" corners and shoots till he misses?

UpMySleeves

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Is it just me or isn't it harder to run balls on a 8x4 since it is smaller, and you have less room to move around? I prefer to play 8-ball on 9ft tables than on small valleys, because you get more clusters on smaller tables. I thought it was the same with 14.1 so saying it is way easier wouuld be stretching it I think.

Poolplaya9

Tellin' it like it is...
Silver Member
How is that record going to be broken when nobody plays that game anymore ?
Who do you know tours around shooting straight pool on 8 ft table
with 5" corners and shoots till he misses?

This is true too. I personally feel that the record would be broken by not just one but several people within a few months if they had an incentive to try to break it.

JoeyInCali

Maker of Joey Bautista Cues
Silver Member
Is it just me or isn't it harder to run balls on a 8x4 since it is smaller, and you have less room to move around? I prefer to play 8-ball on 9ft tables than on small valleys, because you get more clusters on smaller tables. I thought it was the same with 14.1 so saying it is way easier wouuld be stretching it I think.

Then how come Mosconi's run on a 10 footer is a lot less than 516?

measureman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If Mosconi ran a 365 on a 5x10 that is more impressive to me then his 526 on a big pocket 4x8.
Both are impressive but a 5x10 is just so much harder in my opinion.
I've played on both size tables and the 5x10 was torture.
With out looking it up I don't know what Mosconis high run is on a 5x10 but I'm pretty sure both Greenleaf and Crane have high runs over 300 on a 5x10.

Str8PoolPlayer

“1966 500 SuperFast”
Silver Member
Would my high run of 236 on a 5x10 be equal to, say, 400 on a 4x8 .. or 500 on a 3.5x7 ?

Not Hardly ...

Willie was / is THE MAN .... Period !

poolguppy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks, Bill

Fast Eddie once ran 723 on 5x10

Last edited:

Lesh

One Hole Thinkifier
Silver Member
There's an idea.... a series of people taking video of themselves Hunting Mosconi on 4x8 tables with 5" pockets. Any takers? I think I cleared 80+ on an 8 footer when I was 23. Haven't played Straight Pool since those days, and the pockets were 4.5".

Come on boys, step up. Raise the methuselan straight poolers and film those codgers chasing Willie da Wop's ghost on GIMME tables. I guarantee you that SVB, Darren Applebutter, Earl the Squirrel and many others could and should just spend an hour or so and tear this faux legend down. I would love to see Allison Fisher take this on.... it would be great press for the ladies, taking down a greasy man from the mean old days of misogyny.

It could be a thing. We make a trophy in Willie's likeness and whoever has video proof of breaking the record on a comparably equipped table (or harder....erm, normal) gets the trophy until someone else wins it.... then they have to fork it over.

Lesh

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
If Mosconi ran a 365 on a 5x10 that is more impressive to me then his 526 on a big pocket 4x8.
With out looking it up I don't know what Mosconis high run is on a 5x10 but I'm pretty sure both Greenleaf and Crane have high runs over 300 on a 5x10.

Arthur Cranfield broke 400 on a 5x10...with witnesses.
The Babe could play

AtLarge

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member

Here's the opinion, from 2009, of a pretty good 14.1 player.

... for the record i think 14.1 on the bartable is easier than 9ft.

you can reach allbreakballs,combos and shots are a joke etc.

yes its more confined space but with the cueball control ive learned from 14.1 thats the last thing im worried about.

for the record the easiest table to play 14.1 is a 4x8 .ive played on them all and its the easiest no doubt. enough room to play but still easier on shotmaking,reaching,combos than 9ft.

Gerry

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Here's the opinion, from 2009, of a pretty good 14.1 player.

there goes the whole thread right there!....I wanted to argue and stuff, and see people get booted.......you wrecked it by quoting John! :)

G.

smoooothstroke

JerLaw
Silver Member
IMO,generally speaking,the 8 footer is the easiest table to run racks on.

It may be that the record has not been equaled on an 4x8 because that size table is typically only found in bars as a coin op....and when was the last time you seen some1 drop in 50 cents to continue a straight pool run LOL?

I think a 7 foot table would be harded to make a high run in 14;1 on,depending on the player of course.But if you were to get a very strong 8 ball bar-table expert who also plays strong 14;1 on a 9-footer and put him/her on a Diamond 7 footer with ideal conditions you might see a very high run.

One table that is rarely seen but plays very friendly to offence is the true 4x8.The size of the table is between a standard 4.5x9 and a standard 4x8.I used to play on one of these made by Murrey.

one stroke

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

I'm relativity sure he's ran far more than that on a 5x10 ,, I think I read a story somewhere where he quit on a over 600 practice run because he was bored