The Working Pro Player

Williebetmore

Member, .25% Club
Silver Member
chefjeff said:
Having been a free man (no job) for 20 years, this month, I can add a little insight into how working full-time affects one's goals and behaviors...

One might think that having little to do all day would be a benefit to one's pool game. But...there's always a "but," isn't there?---but, if one doesn't control one's time, then freedom can actually be a negative as drifting becomes normal.

It is sooooo easy to piss away time when there aren't any "forced" deadlines or jobs to do. When one is working at a job, one's life is consistently on schedule, and this predetermined schedule can actually "force" one into practicing more effectively.

I say this from experience....e.g., here I am on AZ instead of out staining the fence before the sun shines on it. Is this good or bad and am I managing my time most effectively for pool playing?

Jeff Livingston

Chef-man,
So...are you seriously recommending a thread to identify "the worst player without a full time job"?????

chefjeff

If not now...
Silver Member
Williebetmore said:
Chef-man,
So...are you seriously recommending a thread to identify "the worst player without a full time job"?????

lol...I'm finally at the top of some players' list here on AZ.:eek:

Jeff Livingston

uwate

daydreaming about pool
Silver Member
huckster said:
He played the bar box ghost race to 20 without ball in hand spotting the ghost 10 games and won 20 to 13!!!!. He kicked in 3 balls after the break during the set.

WOW. Part of me wished I had been there to see that, the other part of me knows had I been there, I would have emptied out betting the other way. To break and run 20 out of 23 racks is just unreal.

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
vagabond said:
Does working in pool hall ( Hemmah) and on pool tables ( Ernesto) count?

I think frankie Hernandez works on garbage collection truck for City of New york?

Glad you mentioned that. I played pool all day, every day, until I bought my first poolroom at age 27 (The Cue Ball in Bakersfield, CA).

Funniest thing happened, I no longer had any time to play pool. For the first few months, every guy that came thru and wanted a game, beat me. I was trying to play and work at the same time. Bad move!

Finally I wised up. When someone came in looking for a game, I told them to come back when I was closing at 2 AM and we could play then. Now I had peace and quiet, no phone ringing, no one asking for a coke, etc. and i could get into the game. That's when I started to win again.

So working in a poolroom does not necessarily mean someone is playing a lot of pool. In fact the opposite is probably true.

One other thing. It has always amazed me that Mike Zuglan can run his tournaments (the Northwest Joss Tour) and play in them and do so well.
I tried to play in a couple of tournaments I was running years ago and just couldn't do it. In fact once I started directing tourneys in the 80's, my playing dropped off to almost zero. Now I'm less than zero and have a nice table at home.

Please someone, come by and make me play. Only Tang does once in a while.

vagabond

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
jay helfert said:
Please someone, come by and make me play. Only Tang does once in a while.

If it is for big bucks I will tell my buddie (a Roadie ) to consider dropping by your place.He may need some weight.Are u in East LA?

JoeyA

Efren's Mini-Tourn BACKER
Silver Member
Leil gay said:
You get usedto getting by on a lot less sleep,working moms have it lot harder!

Leil, you're going to get laid by one of those working mom's if you keep this up.

Jamie Farelle of New Orleans, is a hard-working man and plays at the professional level. He really knows how to make the dough. Although Dough Boy would be a suitable moniker for him in more ways than one, he goes by, The Red Rifle.

EDITED......................
Ooops, I didn't read all of the posts. Sorry Hump, didn't mean to tread on your thread.

:)
JoeyA

Last edited:

Jimmy M.

Insomniac
Silver Member
Voodoo Daddy said:
You mean John "The Bull", "Tony Tide", "Mr PotatoHead" DiToro? He was my mentor as a youngster and I firmly believe he was one the best ever with a full time gig!!!

If we're talking about "best ever" players with a full time job, unless I'm mistaken, didn't Joe Balsis have a full time job?

Mick56

Go Pack!!!!!
Silver Member
I believe Babe Cranfield worked for the Muzak Corp. And didn't Irving Crane sell Cadillacs?

emptypockets

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Babe Cranfield would definitely have to be near the top of the list. Only player to ever win the U. S. Junior, U.S. Amateur, and World Professional Championship.

JJLING

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
workers

being from the south i have watched tommy sanders play on several occasions and plenty more good players i would say he has got to be close to the top works 60+ hours a week and beat reed pierce two sets (cheap) but still i think both 12 aheads a short time after he won the open pretty impressive!

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
vagabond said:
bump to get response from `Toupe` Jay

Okay I'll bite. Who's your roadie? If I have a few days notice, so I can get halfway in stroke, he may get to play some 100 a game banks (short rack) or One Hole, as long as he's not some champion. You wouldn't do that would you Vag, try to sneak some hustler in on an unsuspecting old has been?

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
ghost ball said:
Speaking of Tang, does he qualify? Pro Pool Player with a full time job....Poker

You aint wrong there. He does put in the hours, probably 50-60 a week.
I suspect he earns more than almost any pro pool player though. Just a guess. Remember Tang has no travel expense (except some gas), no lodging and best of all, no taxes on his winnings. SHHHH!

He may play pool about once a week for a few hours, and is still a feared money player.

Jerry OC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
jay helfert said:
LA. Hey I might get some action after all.
Now if I can just find my cue. I'll have to clean out the closet.
Jay,
I'll give you some action, what days and times are best for you?
I work in LA off at 3:30.

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
Steve Mizerak was a full time seventh grade English teacher in Perth Amboy, New Jersey while he was winning four straight US Open 14.1 titles from 1970-1973.

Tom Jennings was a full time professor of mathematics at Middlesex County College in Middlesex, New Jersey while he won the 1976 ad 1977 US Open 14.1 events.

Irving Crane had his car dealership in Rochester, New York during his prime.

There have been many great ones over the years that won big at pool despite working full time.