There Are Still Treasures to Find Out There... Fancy Balabushka!

Dan White

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Agree. Here is the vintage of where these tips came from in those days.

All the best,
WW

I always wondered where those tips came from! I still have mine but don't use the fiber pad any more. My ferrules are made from phenolic (cue ball material).

Hunter

The King of Memes
Silver Member
Just a suggestion - my cue was also kept on the shelf for a long time and was in original condition, wrap and all. I use it as my daily player but am very careful with it. I have a home table. My suggestion is not to stand the cue on the floor when chalking it or whatever. Rest the cue on top of your shoe if you need to inspect the tip. I found that my bumper, which was perfect when I started using the cue, now has some reddish abrasions from wear. When I noticed that starting to happen I just learned a few tricks to keep the bumper in good condition.

Also, are your ferrules ivory or are they phenolic? I knew mine were not ivory but I didn't know what they were. Pete T. said they were made from cue balls, or at least they are the same phenolic material that the balls are made of.

Thanks for the tip Dan! My ferrules are all ivory.

WildWing

Super Gun Mod
Silver Member
I always wondered where those tips came from! I still have mine but don't use the fiber pad any more. My ferrules are made from phenolic (cue ball material).

The old French Champion tips always came with the red fiber base. The best time periods were the 60s and 70s, when the French gentleman made them. The originals are always in the gray or white box with the red label. Others are fakes, and the later ones made by Chandivert that called them Champions were not the same at all, no good, compared to the original.

Here's a bit of trivia for the tip buffs. The French man who made the Champion tips, reportedly buried them in his backyard after cutting them, as part of the tanning process. Tell that to today's tip makers, and you'll probably get a blank stare. Yet, this is how he did it.

To keep this relevant, I think most if not all of George's cues were made with the original Champion tips, as the time period, 60s to 70s, is about right. These went on probably most of Gus's cues as well, though as his career went later, I suspect he used others as well, probably good LePros of the day, and maybe Triangles.

Then, there are the old Crown tips. That's for another day.

All the best,
WW

Last edited:

deanoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
hunter
you are a lucky stiff finding a cue like this

there was a really nice one like it or close on here not long ago

call me when you decide to sell
Dean

Ken_4fun

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks for sharing.

Really nice find. Glad it is out of the closet and being appreciated.

Congrats.

Ken

jazznpool

Superior Cues--Unchalked!
Gold Member
Silver Member
Outstanding! The only one I've seen like that. The customer must have asked for the tip top model of the day.

Fast Lenny

Faster Than You...
Silver Member
I recently stumbled across a fancy Balabushka in original condition (except for the wrap, which Pete added) that hasn't been seen by the public for many years. You hear about these garage finds and someone who has his grandpa's cue tucked away, but you usually never get to see one.

This cue is straight, sound and in excellent condition, according to Pete Tascarella. The cue was played for a couple of years and then properly stored for over thirty five years!

The owner had a pretty good idea of what he had, and we haggled like Tijuana tamale vendors, but I finally hit the right number. I put up a post about fancy Balabushkas on the Main Forum, and immediately got trolls (mainly one guy). I'm not trying to have anyone critique George's work. These pictures are not the best, but I'm sure some of you would like to see a fancy Bushka that virtually has no nicks or dings with four matched shafts (which are slick as a whistle with no dings). Here goes...

Nice cue bud. Maybe one day when you are out and about I can see it and give it a test drive. Amazing cue and find. Hope you are well. :smile:

mdavis228

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
That really is a piece from the motherlode, just incredible to see!!!
Thanks so much for giving us a peek.
The butt sleeve is more than special. Wow!

Kimmo H.

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Absolutely stunning find.
Owning a cue like that must be a priceless feeling! Such an outstanding piece of cue history, it makes me speechless :smile:

Dan White

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks for the tip Dan! My ferrules are all ivory.

Hunter, if you are still reading this, I had one other suggestion you may or may not know. My cue is original and hasn't been refinished. Sounds like your's also has the original finish.

The suggestion is not to hold the cue just below the joint at the top of the forearm. The oils, etc. from your hand will dissolve the lacquer finish slowly. My cue has a lighter color at that spot where some of the finish wore off. I thought it was due to the cue case I had at the time but Pete Tascarella said it was from holding the cue there. I applied butcher's wax and hold it on the wrap or above the joint only now.