Thing of beaty from Accustats and GOAT!

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
Thanks for sharing. I only started going to the Derby City Classic in 2009, so this match wasn't on my radar at all. Watching Efren playing pool in his prime is like watching Rembrandt paint. You may never see anything like it again, but you're glad you had a chance to check it out.

arnaldo

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Poolmanis:
As a favor to me please, please do not under any circumstances change the title's typo-ed word "beaty" to the intended "beauty"!

You have accidentally created a marvelously colorful and exquisitely perfect coinage (for the subject) that would be the envy of any professional sports writer or commentator -- and could be applied to a skillful trouncing in boxing, tennis, soccer, billiards . . . even chess. Whatever. Leave it as it is and it will unquestionably be picked up and reappear ad infinitum elsewhere to the delight of sports fans everywhere, from now on.

Your new coinage is a rare thing of beauty to any writer's eye all by itself.

Arnaldo ~ Serendipity at its best, IMO

Positively Ralf

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have not seen this yet but I did see the Brumback/Spaeth banks game. I've only heard of Gary Spaeth from some of the regulars here but watching him bank was a thing of beauty.

Poolmanis

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Imagine if Efren had tuned break back then like SVB and Orcollo today... He probably wanted to keep it interesting and did not put effort for it :D
There would not be competition vs him if he dialed breaks like nowadays pros.
You can see it from this match when break favors him, snowball have better chances in hell than his opponents.. :D

Poolmanis

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Poolmanis:
As a favor to me please, please do not under any circumstances change the title's typo-ed word "beaty" to the intended "beauty"!

You have accidentally created a marvelously colorful and exquisitely perfect coinage (for the subject) that would be the envy of any professional sports writer or commentator -- and could be applied to a skillful trouncing in boxing, tennis, soccer, billiards . . . even chess. Whatever. Leave it as it is and it will unquestionably be picked up and reappear ad infinitum elsewhere to the delight of sports fans everywhere, from now on.

Your new coinage is a rare thing of beauty to any writer's eye all by itself.

Arnaldo ~ Serendipity at its best, IMO
Actually I knew it was typo but i did not care because i learned that word from 9 years old Aussie girl. She plays carom and other games in Shooter´s Pool. Btw i know she now played couple times real table too. She played carom online 2 years before hit shot on real table. She have high run of 7 on real table already lol...

When she see cool shot on 3cushion she says "beaty" :)

Edit: added short shot replay from our match when she used that word... (replay is little bugged. it says race to 10 but it was to 21. I had run of 6 on that match ;))

Last edited:

Fatboy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks for sharing. I only started going to the Derby City Classic in 2009, so this match wasn't on my radar at all. Watching Efren playing pool in his prime is like watching Rembrandt paint. You may never see anything like it again, but you're glad you had a chance to check it out.
First time I saw Efren was in Reno in 86 or 87, I knew the first tim me I saw him-something special was going on.

arnaldo

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Was that Efren or Ceasar Morales at that time??
Efren found a sponsor in 1979 and made his first trip abroad to Japan, where he won $3,000 hustling and playing in tournaments. Six years later he made his first trip to America. Playing under the pseudonym "Cesar Morales" he played in, and won the 1985 Red 9-Ball Open in Houston, Texas, which netted him a few thousand dollars. Then over the next three weeks, and in five different states, playing big money against all comers, Efren won $81,000. But he never saw his promised 50% share. His financier stole the money.

In 1986, he returned to America at the invitation of another financier, a Filipino from Chicago. This man also cheated Efren. In 1987, he had another financier, but they did not get along. In 1988, Efren was financed by an American named Archibald Mitchell. This time Efren finally made money. It was about this time that Efren teamed up with long-time friend -- and very capable interpreter -- Rolando Vicente, his manager of many years..

Arnaldo ~ Reyesophile, Mosconiophile & longtime Arnaldophile

pwd72s

recreational banger
Silver Member
Efren found a sponsor in 1979 and made his first trip abroad to Japan, where he won $3,000 hustling and playing in tournaments. Six years later he made his first trip to America. Playing under the pseudonym "Cesar Morales" he played in, and won the 1985 Red 9-Ball Open in Houston, Texas, which netted him a few thousand dollars. Then over the next three weeks, and in five different states, playing big money against all comers, Efren won $81,000. But he never saw his promised 50% share. His financier stole the money.

In 1986, he returned to America at the invitation of another financier, a Filipino from Chicago. This man also cheated Efren. In 1987, he had another financier, but they did not get along. In 1988, Efren was financed by an American named Archibald Mitchell. This time Efren finally made money. It was about this time that Efren teamed up with long-time friend -- and very capable interpreter -- Rolando Vicente, his manager of many years..

Arnaldo ~ Reyesophile, Mosconiophile & longtime Arnaldophile
Showing the sad side of pool...:(

Thanks for the match post. Always a delight to watch Efren in his prime.

arnaldo

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Showing the sad side of pool...:(
Sad side of the innocent, humble early years of geniuses (like Efren) in any endeavor throughout history.

Many like Efren -- post-predator encounters became wizened, subtly vigilant, and impossible to victimize further.

But few if any, after protectively evolving, remained so essentially humble and almost boyishly charming as Efren . . . always readily smiling as if genuinely embarrassed by the gifts he was born with.

Arnaldo

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Looks like it, with a young Landon Shuffett.

Yep and also yep. Made me wonder what happened to Landon when I watched this, I am guessing he got a real job LOL
Also would love to see Bert in a tournament or some match somewhere, only seen him in the crowd outside of his lesson videos.