Three 3 Best Cue Makers in the World

Texas Carom Club

9ball did to billiards what hiphop did to america
Silver Member
DD also didn't install joint screws correctly and his cues had glue lines everywhere.

you should have told that to the smithsonian before they got a cue made by him
save the museum from the terrible glue lines before its too late
atleast his wont get lost in a sea of veneered 4 pointers

shooter_Hans

Probably going to have to rename the thread "Top cue makers building out of their garage"..

If we're talking about garage guys then there are lots of them. Flip a coin.

Terry Aeschliman

Terry Aeschliman
Gold Member
Silver Member
Suprising to me is everyone mentioned thus far are from USA. And while all mentioned are worthy, are there no cue makers outside of the States that could make the list??

shooter_Hans

Regardless of Dennis and his talent, he doesn't deliver any work, so can we really call him a cue maker at this point?
Depends on how many he produces a year to be considered one. We're not sure because they make cues for general public and they make cues for their sugar daddies.

I wouldn't even put BB on the list seeing as they don't make for the mass public and a lot of people naming these guys have never played with one or seen one. It is their word against who?

We're all old timers here and to the new generation these guys are just going to be folklore.

$TAKE HOR$E

champagne - campaign
Silver Member
DD also didn't install joint screws correctly and his cues had glue lines everywhere.
Here’s a quick funny story about glue lines. Rewind 20+ years, I was at the DCC when it was still at the EW and showed a late 60s model Joss to a dealer and he gets his jewelers magnifier out and goes over the cue like it’s a crime scene. Rick Howard was with me and the guy says yeah I can’t give you much there’s glue lines in these veneers…Rick says what do you expect that cue is almost 40 years old. The guy says who are you and Rick tells him and the fella immediately changes his tune.

Moral of the story…be careful when putting yourself under a microscope 🤣

measureman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Depends on how many he produces a year to be considered one. We're not sure because they make cues for general public and they make cues for their sugar daddies.

I wouldn't even put BB on the list seeing as they don't make for the mass public and a lot of people naming these guys have never played with one or seen one. It is their word against who?

We're all old timers here and to the new generation these guys are just going to be folklore.
Cheap butt and black shaft and they are good to go.

fjk

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think some folks on this thread are confusing cost or value with execution and construction. While guys like Searing and Barry bring in huge dollars for their cues, there are a lot of guys now that do comparable quality work. The vast majority of Scruggs cues are perfect / flawless. Same thing with Tascarella, Hercek and probably ten others.

shooter_Hans

I think some folks on this thread are confusing cost or value with execution and construction. While guys like Searing and Barry bring in huge dollars for their cues, there are a lot of guys now that do comparable quality work. The vast majority of Scruggs cues are perfect / flawless. Same thing with Tascarella, Hercek and probably ten others.
The people on here are confused. Just name dropping high dollar cues.

Agree with your posts. I've shot with a Hercek and it's actually a friend's cue. Owned a Tasc and shot with many Scruggs. Scruggs is quite common but his monster cues are a thing of beauty. They shoot very inconsistent though. Some shoot great and some are logs.

I like Scruggs' signature butt size though. All cues should be made like his dimensions.

Last edited:

JoeyInCali

Maker of Joey Bautista Cues
Silver Member
Here’s a quick funny story about glue lines. Rewind 20+ years, I was at the DCC when it was still at the EW and showed a late 60s model Joss to a dealer and he gets his jewelers magnifier out and goes over the cue like it’s a crime scene. Rick Howard was with me and the guy says yeah I can’t give you much there’s glue lines in these veneers…Rick says what do you expect that cue is almost 40 years old. The guy says who are you and Rick tells him and the fella immediately changes his tune.

Moral of the story…be careful when putting yourself under a microscope 🤣
Dennis, Brugge and Tonkin laugh at glue lines or gaps.
Their work are just unreal.