Titleist Conversion

cab9379

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I am looking at having a cue maker make me a titlist conversion. My question is where and how do I acquire an old titlist cue.And last what cue maker would you recommend. Thank you.

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
I am looking at having a cue maker make me a titlist conversion. My question is where and how do I acquire an old titlist cue.And last what cue maker would you recommend. Thank you.

Give MANWON a try.He may even have the parts.
He knows a lot about cues and he contributes a lot
to this forum.

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member

Chuck Starkey has made a few too. I've got a nice one he made for me.

Blue Hog ridr

World Famous Fisherman.
Silver Member
Lots of cue makers do beautiful conversions.
Lee Pepper - LP Customs Cues because I have experience with Lee's conversions and can vouch for his workmanship.

troi

more lucky than good...
Silver Member
Give Dave A Call...

Dave Whitsel, a cue maker here in San Diego, has some old Titlists that he is converting.

He's got a real nice Titlist Conversion for sale right now.

Better grab it before I do!

Contact him for pics and details.

(619) 258-4292

Thanks
Troi

classiccues

Don't hashtag your broke friends
Silver Member
Tascarella, james White, Steve Klein, Rubino.. gotta go traditional..

JV

Gmanpoke

Banned
You should add Andy Gilbert to the list. He did a conversion for me. But, if you have not acquired a cue to convert yet, I suggest you look at some of the conversions that are for sale. You can actually find some very good deals. A local here in OKC was selling a Jerry -R- Ruenzahn conversion a couple of months ago for $350.00 and the cue was like new. Now, you probably will not find a deal like this but there appears to be quite a few for sale right now and looks like the prices are less than acquiring the donor and paying someone to convert it.

Steven

gh8st

Registered
Agree with Gmanpoke, there are currently a number of titlist conversions for sale by reputable cuemakers in the for sale section that can be delivered immediately. If I had the coin and didnt have so many cues on order the wrapless gilbert is a steal and would be mine!

Good luck with your search, when you figure out how to only buy one let me know.;)

cab9379

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Ok so my question is what specs make a titlist hit so good, and thank you for the suggestions on cue-makers to build it. What should I expect to pay for one? Thanks again for all your help.

cab9379

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Ok I don't know anything about what to tell a cue maker on how to make the conversion, so I got a Brunswick Willie Hoppe and I want to turn it into a conversion. So what should I tell the cue maker what I want done to make it the best hitting cue it can possibly be. I don't care about looks.

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You should add Andy Gilbert to the list. He did a conversion for me. But, if you have not acquired a cue to convert yet, I suggest you look at some of the conversions that are for sale. You can actually find some very good deals. A local here in OKC was selling a Jerry -R- Ruenzahn conversion a couple of months ago for $350.00 and the cue was like new. Now, you probably will not find a deal like this but there appears to be quite a few for sale right now and looks like the prices are less than acquiring the donor and paying someone to convert it.

Steven

I stopped reading after bold, but I agree with Steven. It is of immeasureable benefit to be able to hit with the cue before you throw a bunch of $ at it.

CocoboloCowboy

Cowboys are my hero's
Silver Member

Member Carter is a Cuemaker that has some Rosewood Titlist for Conversion.

Member MANWON has about 200 Titlist Blanks he might sell one to you!

pulzcul

"Chasinrainbows"
Silver Member
I might suggest going into the gallery and doing a search. There are a lot of details to consider and looking over other conversions will give you some idea's.

Mr Hoppe

Sawdust maker
Silver Member
Ok I don't know anything about what to tell a cue maker on how to make the conversion, so I got a Brunswick Willie Hoppe and I want to turn it into a conversion. So what should I tell the cue maker what I want done to make it the best hitting cue it can possibly be. I don't care about looks.

You don't tell him how to make the cue hit well, that's what he'll do for you. What you can do is tell him some of the options that you want on the cue if you have any preferences. For example, wrap or wrapless, color of wrap, Hoppe ring or no, color of phenolic, fancy ringwork or plain and simple, joint type (stainless steel, ivory, phenolic, etc), pin type, etc. Pricing will be between $600 and $1500 depending on who does the work and exactly what you want done.

I would advise you to first call some of your candidate cue makers and talk to them about the options, get a price quote and an eta for completion. Your choice will then become clear. Good luck, and enjoy the ride. :)

cab9379

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Ok this might sound stupid, but I am new to this, so I know I want wrapless and Ivory joint, but I don't know the rest can someone please post a pic and show me what all them things are thanks again Mr Hoppe.

Mr Hoppe

Sawdust maker
Silver Member
Ok this might sound stupid, but I am new to this, so I know I want wrapless and Ivory joint, but I don't know the rest can someone please post a pic and show me what all them things are thanks again Mr Hoppe.

Lots of pics here in the Gallery, and here in the Wanted/For Sale sections. Do a search for Titlist in those forums, or just browse all of the pics. A Hoppe ring is a traditional design element in the form of an ivory ring about 1/4" thick, just above the butt cap.

cab9379

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Mr Hoppe I know you have hit with a lot of Titlist conversions, out of what you've' hit with what one had the best hit in your opinion? Thanks again.

Mr Hoppe

Sawdust maker
Silver Member
Most of the hit is in the tip, ferrule, and shaft, and since I currently use a Predator 314-2, they all hit the same for me. :eek: Don't assume that what you are currently used to is what you like. IMO you need to hit with several different ferrule types and tips to start to get a feel for what you really like. Your cue maker may also have a couple of different tapers to choose from. See if he has a couple of different test shafts to try out.