To Concede Or Not To Concede - That Is The Question

Given the scenario described, would you, or would you not concede the ball?

• I would concede the ball.

Votes: 16 11.3%
  • I would not concede the ball.

Votes: 126 88.7%

• Total voters

Icon of Sin

I can't fold, I need gold. I re-up and reload...
Silver Member
Too many other things come into play to determine if I concede a 9 or not.

How well do I know said player and does he have a history in missing easy shots?

How was he playing during the match?

Did he concede any 9balls for me?

Has he been miscuing?

Whats the score of the match?

nine_ball6970

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
What? you always win because someone misses!!! hahahaha unless you break and run every rack. That makes no sense at all..not even a little bit.

I don't like to concede anything but admittedly I have let my emotions get the best of me and I have.

Maybe you should try reading the original post first, or again, before being a complete tool. It gave a specific scenario.

Rackemep

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I say no concessions...I'm guilty of conceding games in the past but not for the reasons most are listing...I don't do it out of respect for my opponent. I generally do it when I'm parked in my chair and I don't feel like watching this guy shoot another ball in...or I'm frustrated and just want this match to be over...sometimes even when I'm just anxious to get back to the table...I used to justify it by saying things like "there's no way he/she could miss that" or "they made a good out so I gave them the last ball"...the truth is they didn't make a good out because I denied them shooting the last ball...I think conceding is the easy way out....stay and fight until the last ball has dropped....

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I actually have formed a decent rule for myself when I would concede balls.

90% of the time I playing in the same local tournaments against mostly the same players.

If a player I know shot several good shots to get to the end ball, or even second to last, I give them them game. At times I have given the last ball even on a semi-tough shot because he played a very good position shot to get to it or something else impressive. I would rather have them win the game than miss a shot after battling to get to it. I give him/her the respect of playing well.

If a new player is pretty bad, but I mess up and leave him the 9 or 8 hanging or in a decently easy make position, I would likely give them the shot. Sure they may scratch or miss a hanger since they don't play well, but I don't want to see that and I deserve the loss for messing up, plus the new player would just lose confidence missing an easy shot and I'd rather they get better than beat them.

cubswin

Just call me Joe...
Silver Member
apa 5, nope

apa 8 or higher yes

I don't concede balls all the time, and it depends on if I'm getting balls conceded to me or not. Tournament I"m less likely, but gambling I'm usually playing the same people, often every week.

Matt

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I agree with those that consider conceding balls a form of sharking, even if it's not intentional. I would prefer to shoot that last shot in every game and keep my rhythm/confidence going instead of only shooting the ones that my opponent considers hard enough to make me shoot.

onepocketron

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Seen some really weird events in my life with this game. No way I give away the game. I've seen shots missed, miscues, all manner of things you would have thought impossible from good players. No, not me, you beat me when the ball goes into the pocket.

BmoreMoney

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I didn't vote because it totally depends on the exact circumstances at that time. Talking specifically about that match, no I would not. When I do concede it is a little about respect but honestly usually it's more of not letting them pump the money ball in. Often times that can pump people up and may add confidence and I certainly do not want to help them. Some will call that a form of sharking, oh well as long as you are not breaking any rules ( such as tournies that specifically does not allow it ). Couple things : for a match or for the cash I pretty much always make them shoot it. I've seen some real dog come out for the wins or a miscue could happen at any time, I know it sure has for me at some REAL inopportune times lol. Would I want to win that way? Damn right! A win is a win ( if you are doing nothing wrong ). Sure I'd rather win the flip and break and run out the set but that just ain't happening 😊. Also worth noting, as I said never the case ball for the match or cheez but it's different when talking about players of this caliber. These are not the type of players we normally encounter. This is where the respect thing comes in I think. While anything can happen to anyone at any time, much much less likely with these guys than say an apa 5 as referenced.

Matt

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
As I said before, I generally consider conceding a shot a form of sharking, but don't mind as much in cases where it really is a duck and I have to walk around the table to go shoot it.

Two cases where I think it is clearly sharking:
  • Intentionally waiting until your opponent is into their PSR before conceding.
  • Conditionally conceding the shot, as in "it's good unless you want to shoot it". Either concede the shot or don't.

Last edited:

EL'nino

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have no problem with conceding easy shots but the shot that Mika missed was no easy shot in anybody's book. Mika is probably over 90% on that shot & I'm probably only 75% on it. There are shots that even I'm 100% on. I even said before Mika shot the 10 ball "this is no gimmie"

CreeDo

Fargo Rating 597
Silver Member
I don't factor in the opponent's skill level or anything like that.

If I care about the outcome, I don't concede, because I'll take any shot at winning over no shot at winning.

(and btw, you shoulda made it a 99% shot... 5% is too big an edge to give up... that['s like dogging an easy game ball every other set).

If it's casual and I don't care, I concede the 99%ers. Mostly cuz I'm just in a hurry to get back to the table.

BmoreMoney

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
As I said before, I generally consider conceding a shot a form of sharking, but don't mind as much in cases where it really is a duck and I have to walk around the table to go shoot it.

Two cases where I think it is clearly sharking:
  • Intentionally waiting until your opponent is into their PSR before conceding.
  • Conditionally conceding the shot, as in "it's good unless you want to shoot it". Either concede the shot or don't.

I totally
lyrics agree with you on your second point; either you're giving it up or u aint.
As to your first point , if you're giving it up I think you can do so at any point - even as the ball is rolling towards the pocket you could pick it up and tell them " you got this " lol. You're giving theme the game so who cares right???

Matt

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I totally
lyrics agree with you on your second point; either you're giving it up or u aint.
As to your first point , if you're giving it up I think you can do so at any point - even as the ball is rolling towards the pocket you could pick it up and tell them " you got this " lol. You're giving theme the game so who cares right???
The problem with waiting until your opponent is shooting before conceding is that they may be waiting for a similar concession on a later rack instead of focusing on their shot.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

BmoreMoney

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The problem with waiting until your opponent is shooting before conceding is that they may be waiting for a similar concession on a later rack instead of focusing on their shot.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Isn't that the point lol 😆

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
Once upon a time, Hale Irwin missed a 1 inch putt at the British Open and lost the event by one shot .... yet in the World Match Play Golf Championship finals, with 2,000,000 riding on the outcome, short putts are regularly conceded. Short putts are routinely conceded at the Ryder Cup, too.

Conceding short putts in match play is good sportsmanship, and it reflects positively on pro golf. Pool and good sportsmanship don't go together nearly as often, so in pool it makes sense that there are fewer concessions even where allowed. Disallowing concessions, and penalizing those who violate, really makes pool look ridiculous at times.

If a miss is more than a 30/1 shot in either golf or pool, a concession seems reasonable to me. Keeping the match moving and showcasing good sportsmanship are both good for the fans and for the sport.

SilverCue

Sir Raksalot
Silver Member
I don't like ball concessions. I've seen every shot missed at one point or another, including by players who were otherwise playing well. Further, I prefer to shoot the ball since the shots I make the more in stroke I get.
My feelings exactly.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk