Toby Sweet

Delaware Lar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
He was the only road player to win money from Benny's Cue Club (Gentleman's Cue), near Baltimore, without being armed. All them rich Jewish guys loved him.

I got to meet Toby when he was playing Russell Parsons in Delaware. I noticed that his shaft was as smooth as glass. I asked him how he got it that way. He gladly showed me how he would take one little piece of 1500 grade sand paper, and he would keep going over the shaft with the same piece of sandpaper many times. Eventually both the sand paper and the shaft were as smooth as glass.

He's very personable.

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
Hey Jay,
Toby just spent the whole summer here in NY. He was at my poolroom everyday, mostly just hanging around with all of us. Every once in a while Toby and I would just bang them around. As a kid I used to go to Toby's room in New York which was right up the road from where my room is today. I would watch my father play, and many times Toby would be in action. I ended up years later working there, and playing there for about 15 years. I've heard almost every road story from Toby, and have been on a few. He could write an amazing book. Back in the late 60's,70's,and into the 80's No one had to like it, and played almost everyone.
Jay,
I did tell him you said hello.. He remembers you well.
Best,
Ken

Thanks Ken. I wish I could hang out with you guys. I know you have a cool room. Who knows, I may show up some day. PM me the info on your room please.

richiebalto

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
He was the only road player to win money from Benny's Cue Club (Gentleman's Cue), near Baltimore, without being armed. All them rich Jewish guys loved him.

I got to meet Toby when he was playing Russell Parsons in Delaware. I noticed that his shaft was as smooth as glass. I asked him how he got it that way. He gladly showed me how he would take one little piece of 1500 grade sand paper, and he would keep going over the shaft with the same piece of sandpaper many times. Eventually both the sand paper and the shaft were as smooth as glass.

He's very personable.

Cigar Vanover made money in that room also and he never carried either!

Also Cigar was from well just down the street.

Cigar played a lot of the great players, i dont think he played Toby, i will find out today if he did or not.

SCCues

< Searing Twins
Silver Member
I used to be in the Accu-stats video of the month club and one month they sent me a VHS tape of Toby Sweet vs Steve Mizerak with Billy and Grady as the announcers. I thought the match wouldn't be that good since I'd never heard of Toby at that time and was I ever wrong. Toby played flawless against Steve the whole match and had the 7, 8, & 9 left to win the match against Steve, but the shot on the 7 was the only mistake he made in the match which he under cut it just enough to miss the ball down the rail. They interviewed Steve after the match and he said he couldn't believe he got back to the table when Toby was on the 7, 8, 9 to win the match. After watching Toby's soft smooth position play I knew from then on who he was in the pool world. The man can play at the highest level! Grady and Billy had some great stories about Toby and both of them had the utmost respect for Toby in their comments. His position play was flawless and like Jay said there was nothing fancy, but just enough to get the job done. I wonder if he still plays with a tooth pick in his mouth! Grady made a comment about Toby and his tooth pick and Nick Varner with his chewing gum! The commentary was priceless during the match. This match was on the Seniors Tour at Terry Romines room in Milwaukee.

James

Chip Roberson

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
There's also a vid with Toby playing Wade (Billy Johnson Crane--never got to meet with Toby--but has to be the real deal when word of mouth says that he's that good. Gave Buddy Hall the 8 did he....well bout says it all right there

fasteddief

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Cigar Vanover made money in that room also and he never carried either!

Also Cigar was from well just down the street.

Cigar played a lot of the great players, i dont think he played Toby, i will find out today if he did or not.

Cigar Tom played Toby to a draw for 10 dollars a game. Toby said Tom was tough to beat. He played in Gentlemans Cue for about 2 weeks, his cue ball had a string on it. perfect position player and maybe the best push out player in his time. A great money player. Gave up big spots and overcame it. Had Weenie Beenie stuck 4000 and started to spot him the 8 ball and lost it all back. told me he should have won all the money but just started playing bad. A great Guy and easy to talk to. He traveled in a big Sleeper Truck. Smart as they come. He wouldn't play one pocket .

Nostroke

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Toby was probably one of the first to go to Germany and grab some cash. In the early 80's? iirc.

He paints-real colorful stuff. A pair of bell bottoms in his size still aren't safe either.

Last edited:

jrhendy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Toby/Hard Times, Bellflower

Toby HATED Texas Express rules 9 ball.

He came into Hard Times in Bellflower around 1990 with Cuban Joe, and I played him a set for $500 and beat him. I was running pretty good in the liability games on the 6 x 12 and was playing well and would take a shot with just about anybody I did not know. I knew he could play because Joe put him on me but played anyway.

I did get lucky a couple times and he said he would play another set if we played shootout. I figured I was getting a free shot now, so I agreed and we played another set with the old rules.

Toby tortured me and I pulled up. I knew I was lucky to win the first set. I found out later that he was a favorite over almost anyone playing the old shoot out rules.

HighEndCues

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I used to be in the Accu-stats video of the month club and one month they sent me a VHS tape of Toby Sweet vs Steve Mizerak with Billy and Grady as the announcers. I thought the match wouldn't be that good since I'd never heard of Toby at that time and was I ever wrong. Toby played flawless against Steve the whole match and had the 7, 8, & 9 left to win the match against Steve, but the shot on the 7 was the only mistake he made in the match which he under cut it just enough to miss the ball down the rail. They interviewed Steve after the match and he said he couldn't believe he got back to the table when Toby was on the 7, 8, 9 to win the match. After watching Toby's soft smooth position play I knew from then on who he was in the pool world. The man can play at the highest level! Grady and Billy had some great stories about Toby and both of them had the utmost respect for Toby in their comments. His position play was flawless and like Jay said there was nothing fancy, but just enough to get the job done. I wonder if he still plays with a tooth pick in his mouth! Grady made a comment about Toby and his tooth pick and Nick Varner with his chewing gum! The commentary was priceless during the match. This match was on the Seniors Tour at Terry Romines room in Milwaukee.

James
:) Nothing has changed. Toby still has a toothpick in his mouth and bellbottoms on everyday.
I still like hearing the stories from everyone. Many I've heard before.
Toby was one of the first people to take Allen Hopkins on the road with him.
Some great stories Allen could tell.
Best,
Ken

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
I wish you people would call him by his right name.......:)
....New York Toby....

I can't think of anything out-standing about his game....
....he just did everything above average...
....and sensible.

His game reminded me of Curtis Strange when he dominated the PGA tour....
....everything worked with no trade-mark shots.

Nostroke

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
....New York Toby....

....and sensible.

lotta New Yorkers here so we are not going to say that -not to mention usually when you have a distinct name like that just the first name will do. If you are talking rotation games, everyone knows who Toby is.

The only other PLAYER named Toby that i know of is the 1P guy (Fleharty) and i havent heard nothing about him in 12+ years

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
lotta New Yorkers here so we are not going to say that -not to mention usually when you have a distinct name like that just the first name will do. If you are talking rotation games, everyone knows who Toby is.

The only other PLAYER named Toby that i know of is the 1P guy (Fleharty) and i havent heard nothing about him in 12+ years

Well, naturally you New Yorkers aren't going to call him New York Toby....
....but that was his name in a lotta States.

Did anyone call him White Plains Toby around the Big Apple?

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
Toby HATED Texas Express rules 9 ball.

He came into Hard Times in Bellflower around 1990 with Cuban Joe, and I played him a set for $500 and beat him. I was running pretty good in the liability games on the 6 x 12 and was playing well and would take a shot with just about anybody I did not know. I knew he could play because Joe put him on me but played anyway.

I did get lucky a couple times and he said he would play another set if we played shootout. I figured I was getting a free shot now, so I agreed and we played another set with the old rules.

Toby tortured me and I pulled up. I knew I was lucky to win the first set. I found out later that he was a favorite over almost anyone playing the old shoot out rules.

Cuban Joe, what a dandy he was! He would pat you on the back, while his other hand was in your pocket :wink:.

He brought Billy Johnson (Wade Crane) with him to my poolroom in Bakersfield in the early 70's. He told me Billy was his backer and had a wad of cash. Billy paid off the money while I played Joe One Pocket for 40 a game. After I won a few games, Joe pulled up and told me to play his "backer" some $50 or $100 9-Ball, that I was stealing. He wanted 20% for the steer. I went for it and $600 later I wised up.

I can tell you a lot more about him, but it will have to wait. :)

P.S. In the pool world back then (the 70's and 80's) if you said "Toby" everybody knew who you meant. He was not exactly flying under the radar. All I ever heard was about him beating somebody. :thumbup2:

Last edited:

macguy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
....New York Toby....

....and sensible.

Actually Toby is his nickname, his real name is Danny.

Nostroke

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Well, naturally you New Yorkers aren't going to call him New York Toby....
....but that was his name in a lotta States.

Did anyone call him White Plains Toby around the Big Apple?

He was from Spring Valley or thereabouts- The other side of the Hudson.

There was a White Plains Charlie. He didnt possess one good quality that i ever saw and i saw him a lot. He had a $250/month room-a $650 pension and gave up the room, lived in shelters, street etc so he could blow the entire $650 on the first of every month at Yonkers Raceway.

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
Actually Toby is his nickname, his real name is Danny.

Ah, the plot thickens....never heard that one.:confused:

On the other hand, I learned a lot of 3-cushion shots from an Armenian
in Detroit......
.....his name was Frenchy!

And Russ Maddox introduced me to a man named Baldy....
....he claimed his real name was Curly.

I love the pool world....:)

fathomblue

Rusty Shackleford
Silver Member
For those wanting to see Toby in action:

Toby Sweet vs. Steve Mizerak: http://www.1vshop.com/Accu-Stats/store.cgi?CMD=011&PROD=000334&PNAME=Wade+Crane+vs.+Toby+Sweet+(DVD)

Toby Sweet vs. Wade Crane: http://www.1vshop.com/Accu-Stats/st...333&PNAME=Steve+Mizerak+vs.+Toby+Sweet*+(DVD)

Both available thru Accu-Stats. The match with Miz was mentioned earlier in this thread and garnered an Accu-Stats " *star* ", so it's supposed to be a good match.

I think I'll order both of these next month, as I actually just placed my normal monthly order a couple of days ago.