Tony Vs Dennis Chit Chat Thread

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
Gc:
yes i noticed that too and mentioned in the chat. DO is certainly a top player no doubt but when Jay and others in the booth saying how he a top drawer sportsman thats the tilting point.

He has had numerous upon numerous demonstrations where he has sharked opponents quit games, not shook hands slow played etc etc

And the fact he and KO pulled the wool over everyones eyes with that BS money match where they cashed in the stream money was shady and wanting to do it again with SVB

i for one hope tony stomps him this final day

Way out of line here! This match has been played with nothing but good sportsmanship by both players. I've never seen Dennis attempt to shark an opponent in any way, shape or form. Yes his handshake may seem light handed but Filipinos are not as comfortable with this custom. Tony has not said boo about Dennis' pace of play. They are each taking numerous breaks whenever they want. Neither Dennis or Ko were privy to the money shenanigans perpetuated by John French. They both thought the 20K bet was real and were just as unhappy to find out they got duped. Shame on you for this comment!

Last edited:

fjk

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I've said it before and I'll repeat it again. I believe that Dennis is kind-of naive and goofy. If Tony would make a ball in Dennis' pocket during his run, Dennis would right away and go grab that one ball and put it on his side. He obviously is doing this to make sure that Tony doesn't mistakenly take is ball when Tony's run is over.

However, I really don't play much one-pocket, so I'm not sure about the established etiquette with this. But I assume that Dennis should stay away from the table and to just verbally remind Tony of the ball made in his pocket after Tony's inning has ended. I don't think Dennis was intentionally sharking, but Dennis quick grabbing his ball to me is just a naive thing, as rude as it appears. I really think that Dennis doesn't realize many of the accepted rules of etiquette.

Immediately grabbing the pocketed ball that needs to be spotted is an old school thing to do. I learned to do it and it's a good habit to start. I frequently see players forget to spot that ball.

sixpack

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Dennis is playing his own pace, taking the time he needs to get comfortable with the shot selection and execution. And it is exactly what he needed to do to get back into this match.

Last edited:

BeiberLvr

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
IMO, that seems a little low. They get 30/60-seconds in 9-ball. AND - the entire decision is made for you (i.e., you can only shoot at one ball during your turn).

In any event, shot clocks (in all sports) were intended to speed up play and increase scoring. Tournaments also have time restrictions. TC and DO are playing a 4-day event, so it kinda has a shot clock, well - a shot calendar. If they need MORE time, they should've made it 5 days.

Not low. 9 ball shot clock should be 25 seconds

fjk

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
He doesn't have as much experience with the game to SEE THE BEST SHOT quickly. That's what I meant. If he takes his time and studies every shot for a few minutes, like he's been doing, obviously he then has the skills to execute the best shot. I didn't think that I had to explain my comment to this level of detail, but here you go.

Here's my take: I think Dennis plays smart one pocket and because he plays so well overall, it just takes him longer to decide the "best" shot. For example, when I'm playing I decide my shot pretty quickly because I can easily see the shots that are low probability for my skill level. But when you're one of the best pool players in the world, it's probably much harder to decide the best shot when your skills offers you soooo many options.

Along the same token, I notice some folks criticizing Dennis for going for balls. While I agree those shots are dumb (low probability) shots for most, it's all relative to your speed. He back cut a few balls last night that I didn't think were possible.

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Good words. Hard for us to second guess anything about the mans game. Arguement could be made that he is the best pool player in the world at the moment.
Here's my take: I think Dennis plays smart one pocket and because he plays so well overall, it just takes him longer to decide the "best" shot. For example, when I'm playing I decide my shot pretty quickly because I can easily see the shots that are low probability for my skill level. But when you're one of the best pool players in the world, it's probably much harder to decide the best shot when your skills offers you soooo many options.

Along the same token, I notice some folks criticizing Dennis for going for balls. While I agree those shots are dumb (low probability) shots for most, it's all relative to your speed. He back cut a few balls last night that I didn't think were possible.

POVPOOL

POV Pool
Silver Member
FINAL DAY of 'THE BIG ONE'!!!
You don't want to be left out of the poolroom talk...watch it & know what you're talking about tomorrow!
www.POVPOOL.com

thebigonesquare.jpg

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
These guys are playing a match for 100K and their backers have put up real money! This match is no joke! I say they are the ones who should make the rules of play, not you and not me based on our personal preferences. I'm surprised so many people don't respect that fact. If you don't like the pace of play, then turn it off or change the channel and watch an amateur 9-Ball tournament.

As far as Dennis picking up a ball from the ball box, he does it quickly and between shots so as not to bother Tony. Neither player has had any problem with this. Dennis does not want to sleep a ball (he has made this mistake in the past) and it's actually a smart thing for him to do.

HawaiianEye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'd say strong B

I just hate slow players.

I don't hate slow players...I don't play them if I know they are S L O W.

I hate players who are capable of playing at quicker paces, but intentionally become S L O W to change the flow of the game and try to win by stalling every shot.

HawaiianEye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
These guys are playing a match for 100K and their backers have put up real money! This match is no joke! I say they are the ones who should make the rules of play, not you and not me based on our personal preferences. I'm surprised so many people don't respect that fact. If you don't like the pace of play, then turn it off or change the channel and watch an amateur 9-Ball tournament.

As far as Dennis picking up a ball from the ball box, he does it quickly and between shots so as not to bother Tony. Neither player has had any problem with this. Dennis does not want to sleep a ball (he has made this mistake in the past) and it's actually a smart thing for him to do.

He could ask Tony to move the ball for him. That reminds both players that a ball was made in the opponent's hole as it happens. It also allows the opponent to remain away from the table when it isn't their turn at play.

sixpack

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

In fact Jay, they slept a ball last night. Tony should have spotted it and Dennis didn't do it for him. So you're exactly right.

BeiberLvr

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I don't hate slow players...I don't play them if I know they are S L O W.

I hate players who are capable of playing at quicker paces, but intentionally become S L O W to change the flow of the game and try to win by stalling every shot.

We can agree on that

corpse

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Exactly right!! If it was my 50k, I would spend as ,much time as it took to be comfortable. This isn't a tournament, they aren't holding a up a bracket. This is 2 guys gambling. If you don't like it, there are other things to watch. I have enjoyed it. Thanks Daniel!

POVPOOL

POV Pool
Silver Member
Gc:

Way out of line here! This match has been played with nothing but good sportsmanship by both players. I've never seen Dennis attempt to shark an opponent in any way, shape or form. Yes his handshake may seem light handed but Filipinos are not as comfortable with this custom. Tony has not said boo about Dennis' pace of play. They are each taking numerous breaks whenever they want. Neither Dennis or Ko were privy to the money shenanigans perpetuated by John French. They both thought the 20K bet was real and were just as unhappy to find out they got duped. Shame on you for this comment!

Comment approved!

POV Pool does not rig or setup fake news or matches. We work very hard to arrange legitimate events. In fact, as I write this reply, I am currently watching Dennis and Tony fight about getting neutral racker for the last day. It's getting tense in here.

overlord

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

S L O W play is tedious. If there are no rules regarding how fast folks shoot; in theory the match could go on for infinity.

Are you a member of Slow Shooters anonymous?

BeiberLvr

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

It's really simple. Do you want more people to be interested in this game and pool in general or not?

mikeyfrost

Socially Aware
Silver Member
Comment approved!

POV Pool does not rig or setup fake news or matches. We work very hard to arrange legitimate events. In fact, as I write this reply, I am currently watching Dennis and Tony fight about getting neutral racker for the last day. It's getting tense in here.

That's going to be major!!! Tony can't rack the balls to save his life. It cost him at least 2 games yesterday.