Top picks for the 14.1 Championships??

Williebetmore

Member, .25% Club
Silver Member
On tighter equipment, Danny Barouty (if Steve Lipsky succeeds in getting him back in stroke).

On looser equipment, Mika Immonen or John Schmidt (Thorsten seems in a bit of a slump, though I like his stroke better than Mika's).

TheOne

www.MetroPool.club
Silver Member
Manalo if he plays, really need to see the field list, I'm hoping more of the Europeans take up their invites this year, Niels, Nick, Appleton, etc?

SVB could play, maybe Alex too, be interesting for sure.

If the tables aren't going to be Gabriels, its a completely different tournament. If they're on Diamonds (which I doubt) for example I like Manalo, Alex, and Harriman even more. I'm talking about 2nd of course lol :rolleyes:

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
Who's in the field?

Hohmann is always the one to beat in 14.1, but Schmidt, Engert and, if he's playing, Feijen are all major threats to win. Souquet, Immonen, and Harriman would also seem capable of snapping this off if they play at their highest levels.

The format, assuming it's the same as a year ago, in which all matches involving the last sixteen are races to 200, minimizes the chance of a cinderella story. Just ask Allen Hopkins, whose play was impeccable a year ago, at least until Engert sat him down for well over an hour in the electric chair in the quarterfinals. In a race to 200, the big guns usually get around to a big run.

My pick is Thorsten, though I think it's far less obvious than a year ago.

Bobby Hunter and Allen Hopkins are my dark horses.

I'll cheer hardest for Barouty and Robles, of course, and all my hometown heroes.

Terry Ardeno

I still love my wife
Silver Member
I would love to see Thomas Engert or Oliver Ortmann win.
I think that John Schmidt will win. As someone else has mentioned, Thorsten is in a bit of a slump, but who knows, perhaps he'll regain his form at the right time.

alinco

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'll go with Mika Immonen just because he played so well at our Maryland qualifier over a strong field. His break shots just looks so comfortable and confident.

My dark horse pick (Don't tell him I said he's a dark horse!) is Mike Davis who is quickly figuring straight pool out during the last few months.

Andy

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
I like Thorsten and Engert, with Souquet as my dark horse. Interesting, all from Europe.

gopi-1

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I would like to see how Dennis Orcullo will react to a new game. I heard (read)
he was shooting lights out for 10 straight racks at the Beenie Weenie tournament.

jsp

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
gopi-1 said:
I would like to see how Dennis Orcullo will react to a new game. I heard (read)
he was shooting lights out for 10 straight racks at the Beenie Weenie tournament.
I don't know if you can consider straight pooling being a "new" game to Orcullo, because he did compete in this tournament last year and had a fair showing for his very first straight pool tournament. He made it past the group stages, going 5-2 and beating the likes of Barouty and Varner. But then he went 2 and out in the knockout stages.

I'm expecting that he'll finish higher now that he has some straight pool experience under his belt. Though if Manalo competes, he'd have to be the favorite among the Filipinos.

But I'm predicting that another German will win this event. If not Thorston, then it'll be Engert or Souquet. Harriman will finish the highest among the Americans.

JoeW

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think it will be a great one to see. There are too many excellent players to boil it down to three main contenders. From what I saw it is up for grabs and will depend on who is on. I was most impressed by Mika Immonen's, Thorsten Hohmann's and Steve Lipskey's consistency but think that any of the qualifiers can pull it off.

Last edited:

Williebetmore

Member, .25% Club
Silver Member
JoeW said:
I think it will be a great one to see. There are too many excellent players to boil it down to three main contenders. From what I saw it is up for grabs and will depend on who is on. I was most impressed by Mika Immonen's, Thorsten Hohmann's and Steve Lipskey's consistency but think that any of the qualifiers can pull it off.

JoeW,
I have to agree with your assessment that anyone that could handle me so easily (as Steve Lipsky did in the recent qualifier), is DEFINITELY a favorite in the world tournament. Unfortunately for the fans, I believe Steve now has a work conflict that will not permit him to play. His elegant stroke and impressive game will be missed by knowledgeable spectators.

P.S. - for some reason they have forgotten to contact me about filling in his spot...........

Steve Lipsky

On quest for perfect 14.1
Silver Member
Williebetmore said:
JoeW,
I have to agree with your assessment that anyone that could handle me so easily (as Steve Lipsky did in the recent qualifier), is DEFINITELY a favorite in the world tournament. Unfortunately for the fans, I believe Steve now has a work conflict that will not permit him to play. His elegant stroke and impressive game will be missed by knowledgeable spectators.

P.S. - for some reason they have forgotten to contact me about filling in his spot...........

Willie, they haven't forgotten. I specifically asked them NOT to pick you to fill my spot, as I figured it would not be fair to the rest of the field to put such a ringer in at the last moment.

Hope you're not upset - once you won the tournament, I didn't want to have all those pesky 400-ball runners staring at me, looking for answers.

- Steve

Last edited: