Trans debate arrives into Pro woman’s Billiards

fjk

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
On a related note, I work with a guy from the Philippines. His parents know Efren. One day we got talking about pool (he doesn't play) and I asked him why he thinks there are so many strong players from such a small place. He said it was because they have a culture of gambling. He said most there are very poor buy everyone gambles. The example he gave me is when he used to play basketball there as a little kid. He said they would play for whatever small change they had...but never just for fun. He said when you're gambling, you tend to improve faster than playing for fun.

David in FL

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
On a related note, I work with a guy from the Philippines. His parents know Efren. One day we got talking about pool (he doesn't play) and I asked him why he thinks there are so many strong players from such a small place. He said it was because they have a culture of gambling. He said most there are very poor buy everyone gambles. The example he gave me is when he used to play basketball there as a little kid. He said they would play for whatever small change they had...but never just for fun. He said when you're gambling, you tend to improve faster than playing for fun.

Lee Trevino famously said about playing golf and growing up poor…

“Pressure isn’t a 3 foot putt for $50,000. Pressure is a 3 foot putt for $5 when you only have $2 in your pocket!”

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Someone forwarded this to me today. I guess those who normally wrangle over culture war topics in NPR can now go at it full throttle in the main forum…

Given the unusual aspect that men traditionally & mysteriously are generally dominant in our somewhat non physical sport, it does perhaps offer a new lens for the debate. I just skim read, but found some of the perspectives in the article’s comment section to be interesting and fairly civil.

How about simply gay women who also dominate in sports? It's not the same as a male making himself a female, but the differences are clear in any sport. For females, the only real "fair" way to compete with like vs like is to not even include gay women in the fields since many of them have elevated levels of chemicals that make males stronger and more aggressive and competitive. It's almost like a legal form of doping, one section of the field does not have that advantage, the other does. And yes that is a bit extreme, but from a pure biology and facts point of view, there it is.

It's not hard to figure out the lines between humans, nature does it for us and everyone past the age of like 4 knows the differences.

lastdimetaker

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I feel like no one would have a problem with any transgender playing in an open event but because people have issues with transgender people playing in the women's event they attack them with claiming they have issues with transgender people.
I have no problem with transgender players and have no problem with them playing in open pool tournaments. I do have a problem with anyone other than women playing in women's tournaments.
If your transgender and play pool you should play open tournaments and nobody will even care that your trans, if you play good you will get respect if you win you will gain admiration. You will receive equal rewards and validation.
I am always telling everyone it's not about the money it's about respect. To go play in women's tournaments you get no respect from me.
Has nothing to do with your sexual identity or anything else other than at your core you are no pool player your a fake a fraud.
True competition comes from the need to Know...
I play up ...
I grind...
I hustle...
I always seek out games where I am the underdog..
The women I admire most is Karen Corr. She has my respect she is a true champion she plays up... I believe every pool player that knows who she is respects her as much as they do any male pool player.
Real recognizes Real...
Good Luck

SBC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If the WPBA paid better I could image the guys that would show up to take it down.

MitchAlsup

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
How about simply gay women who also dominate in sports? It's not the same as a male making himself a female, but the differences are clear in any sport. For females, the only real "fair" way to compete with like vs like is to not even include gay women in the fields since many of them have elevated levels of chemicals that make males stronger and more aggressive and competitive. It's almost like a legal form of doping, one section of the field does not have that advantage, the other does. And yes that is a bit extreme, but from a pure biology and facts point of view, there it is.
How about asking a simple question:: " Do you like dicks inserted into your body " ??

This would get rid of the gay women as well as the males-impersonating-females.

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
How about asking a simple question:: " Do you like dicks inserted into your body " ??

This would get rid of the gay women as well as the males-impersonating-females.

"Does Dodge making the V8 cars electric make you angry" is also one they can ask hehe.

buckshotshoey

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I feel like no one would have a problem with any transgender playing in an open event but because people have issues with transgender people playing in the women's event they attack them with claiming they have issues with transgender people.
I have no problem with transgender players and have no problem with them playing in open pool tournaments. I do have a problem with anyone other than women playing in women's tournaments.
If your transgender and play pool you should play open tournaments and nobody will even care that your trans, if you play good you will get respect if you win you will gain admiration. You will receive equal rewards and validation.
I am always telling everyone it's not about the money it's about respect. To go play in women's tournaments you get no respect from me.
Has nothing to do with your sexual identity or anything else other than at your core you are no pool player your a fake a fraud.
True competition comes from the need to Know...
I play up ...
I grind...
I hustle...
I always seek out games where I am the underdog..
The women I admire most is Karen Corr. She has my respect she is a true champion she plays up... I believe every pool player that knows who she is respects her as much as they do any male pool player.
Real recognizes Real...
Good Luck
Jeannette Lee.... a true fighter.

ShootingArts

Smorg is giving St Peter the 7!
Gold Member
Silver Member
So far trans in sports hasn't been as huge a problem as it could be because the athletes had been second string or worse before transitioning.

What happens when another Bruce Jenner comes along and transitions at eighteen or twenty? Bruce could have destroyed women's track and field, many other women's sports.

To be fair to all these people need their own events. That is a long way from happening. Hopefully we will never have enough of these people who are neither male or female to have their own sports tours.

I don't have any practical solution other than make people compete where birth sex and hormone levels put them. If either one makes them male, they are male. Wasn't it the east german "women" who were having to shave twice a day that tore through the olympics way back when to introduce the unfairness of steroid and hormone doping? Working from memory so perhaps the country is wrong. I don't think so but it doesn't matter what country it was, they brought women to the olympics that were more men than women.

Hu

tim913

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Years ago, at the last exclusive meeting of the Boy Scouts of America’s troop 666, little Tommy stood up in the back row and said,
“I have a plan!”

xX-Wizard-Xx

They just bann that shit unless you have a legit reason then this debate wouldn't even be a thing and society would be better for it...

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
Your friend would have a different view if he lived in Germany, where one's pedigree tends to be established from organized league play and not from gambling.

The German way has already produced four WPA World Champions in 9-ball in Ortmann, Souquet, Hohmann and Filler. Two of them, Ortmann and Hohmann, have also won a WPA World championship in 14.1. Two of them, Souquet and Filler, have won the US Open 9-ball, too.

I'm not buying that gambling is fundamental to development in pool., though I'm not denying that it can help one get used to the pressure that goes with playing pool at a high level.

buckshotshoey

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Your friend would have a different view if he lived in Germany, where one's pedigree tends to be established from organized league play and not from gambling.

The German way has already produced four WPA World Champions in 9-ball in Ortmann, Souquet, Hohmann and Filler. Two of them, Ortmann and Hohmann, have also won a WPA World championship in 14.1. Two of them, Souquet and Filler, have won the US Open 9-ball, too.

I'm not buying that gambling is fundamental to development in pool., though I'm not denying that it can help one get used to the pressure that goes with playing pool at a high level.
Bravo!

Brookeland Bill

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Okay it’s time for me to relay an anecdote from my law school days In the early early 70’s. It was damages class made up mostly of men.

One of my professors opened the class that day when he told the story of the gal that went to court to prove that she now was a man to be able to play on the PGA Tour. When the plaintiff took the stand she/he was asked about the surgery to create a penis. The plaintiff looked at the jury and explained it in detail and the name of the procedure was an Add-A-Dick-To-Me. The professor went on to say that at the conclusion of the hearing the case was thrown out because the evidence would not stand up in court.

If you told that joke today you would loose your tenure and you job.

Mark V

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Take the current top 10 male players in pool today vs the top 10 female players to have ever played the game. All games can even be represented.

You are forced to lay every penny to your name on one side, with your angry wife and hungry kids staring at you. Who do you choose?

People can speculate on the why all day longer, but the answer is that it just is, and it’s really not even a debate.

In 10/25/100 years, the outcome will still be the same.

Last edited:

Mark V

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
without going too far in to the weeds on this, though I probably will, I’ll disclose that I’m all about you do you, I have no problem and don’t care either way. I love all and hold no hate in my heart for anyone. The one who determines my ultimate destination told me that is a big no no.

As of now, participation is pretty sporadic, but look down the road… 20-30 years.

The quantity of boys/men who make the transition will be more widely involved in girls/women sports, especially when transitioned at younger ages.

Think all sports. Soccer, track and field, basketball, etc. Do the biological girls on the girls swim team in progressive cities even still compete since they haven’t been able to finish higher than 3rd place since 8th grade? What if it were your daughter that you just had to give the ‘maybe next time’ talk to after she got dunked on all game and lost by 30. How did it make you feel to watch that game?

Winners are who get college scholarships, especially at top schools. What will Olympic outcomes and record books look like?

Completely crazy? Schizophrenic ranting? Could any of this actually, really happen?
Never underestimate the power of progress. The barrel gets pointed at everybody, eventually.

Last edited: