True Cost of a Southwest?

jasonlaus

Rep for Smorg
Silver Member
I will say this though, I would give SW another try if I could hit balls with it, but I wouldn't buy one online, etc if I couldnt play it first.

CocoboloCowboy

Cowboys are my hero's
Silver Member
Well it is soon to be 2020, I called SW over weekend. Mochine says we are "currently working order from 2005". I also check my notes, and project notification date on calander in JUNE 2020.

I honeslty have zero idea as to cost of Merry Widow, Two Shafts, Ringd by Bumper & Collar, and cost of Matching JP's.:smile:

measureman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Is that really a thing? Why would a cuemaker honor that? Or any business with a waiting list?

Professional line standers and list sitters can only harm a business' relationship with its real customers.

There is a huge demand for their cues.
I don't think they care about someone selling a spot.
They are cue makers not cue police.
It's the "No soup for you" business model.

Baby Huey

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
My only concern about SW's is that you have to wait too long for refinishes, rewraps and shafts etc. Their control over their production is fine with me but the repair work takes too long. You then have to decide whether to counterfeit the repair work which lessons the value of their cues and your ownership value as well.

01rkclassic

Cell - 937-554-5637
Silver Member
My only concern about SW's is that you have to wait too long for refinishes, rewraps and shafts etc. Their control over their production is fine with me but the repair work takes too long. You then have to decide whether to counterfeit the repair work which lessons the value of their cues and your ownership value as well.

It's simple, don't beat it up. I've been playing for 30yrs and have never had a cue refinished,my oldest cue is 20yrs old and looks almost new,no nicks or dings, shafts are smooth as silk.

jrctherake

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It's simple, don't beat it up. I've been playing for 30yrs and have never had a cue refinished,my oldest cue is 20yrs old and looks almost new,no nicks or dings, shafts are smooth as silk.

You obviously have never played even one game of pool in florence Alabama. Lol.....it's as if people are seeking out a cue to damage.

The nicer the cue, the more out it is to be damaged.

You either keep it at home or play in a room where everyone is a gentleman. The first ine is no fun and the second one is all but impossible to find.

Jeff

skins

Likes to draw
Silver Member
You obviously have never played even one game of pool in florence Alabama. Lol.....it's as if people are seeking out a cue to damage.

The nicer the cue, the more out it is to be damaged.

You either keep it at home or play in a room where everyone is a gentleman. The first ine is no fun and the second one is all but impossible to find.

Jeff

"Seekng out a cue to damage"??? Are you serious? Damage how? Are you saying the opponents or others there are out to damage someones cue that they think are high end?

If that's the case, then it's either a bad choice that you play there, don't care about your cue, condone their behavior, or/and are a glutton for punishment.

If anyone attempted that with one of my cues, anywhere, well lets just say it would become a very bad day for them.

"Seekng out a cue to damage"??? Are you serious? Damage how? Are you saying the opponents or others there are out to damage someones cue that they think are high end?

If that's the case, then it's either a bad choice that you play there, don't care about your cue, condone their behavior, or/and are a glutton for punishment.

If anyone attempted that with one of my cues, anywhere, well lets just say it would become a very bad day for them.

Yeah, I have taken my cues to very crowded college hang out bars, with drunks, and people hanging all around the pool tables, and my cues never got damaged in the least bit.

I can't imagine there are places out there where people see your cue, and want to damage it. I think there are people who are careless with their cues though, and that is why they get damaged.

On the topic of SW, I knew this guy down in FL who brought his SW to this weekly bar tournament every week. He was a super nice guy, and did not seem to be the least bit worried about his SW getting damaged or stolen from him.

It looked like it was in mint condition too. Super nice 6 point SW. He told me that he thought the value was around the $6,000 range for the Jerry Franklin era SW.

franko

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You

So are you a great player, world renowed in Dallas, are you a great cuemaker, is your opinion somehow so much more valuable and meaningful than Jv, since your are asking his qualifications, can we ask yours? Does spending money on cues and selling a week later make someone the definitive source on everything pool?

You obviously don't know who Billy Incardona or Tony C. are plus Dean has been around Pool and the Top players longer then most of us here on AZ. His word is as good as gold.

Snooker Theory

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You obviously don't know who Billy Incardona or Tony C. are plus Dean has been around Pool and the Top players longer then most of us here on AZ. His word is as good as gold.

His word is good as gold? So whatever happened to him disclosing who built the jackpot cues, everyone been telling me it was just a batch of Schmekles, don't know if thats true since he never named the maker after clearly stating he would, I guess our concepts of good as gold are a bit different.

I do know Deano ain't Billy or Tony, does knowing players or cue makers somehow make a person a player or knowledgeable about building cues? I mean you would think someone who has been around the greatest cue makers wouldn't pitch the idea of "magic draw cues" or proceed in mislableing/misrepresenting who built the Jackpots.

Last edited:

Matt_24

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
May will be the one year mark since I paid my deposit to Southwest.

Last November Laurie said that normal production time runs between 9-12 months, but due to a few uncontrollable circumstances they are running behind.

I'm still keeping my fingers crossed that my order is complete by May. I was placed on the list in March of 2005, so I'm now at the 15 year mark. What's a few extra months? :)

Matt_24

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have never owned a Southwest and based upon what time I've banged balls with quite a few of them that my friends own, I would never buy one. Especially, for the amount of money they cost.

They have a cult following, but they aren't my cup of tea.

None of the ones I tried hit any better than my best cues and my cues don't cost anywhere near as much.

If we are going to talk "good-hitting cues" in a "cost-to-hit" comparison, I have an old C-14 McDermott that will run rings around any Southwest I've tried.

I bought the McDermott new when the D-line came out and the C-line was being phased out. I paid $118, shipped, for it and it was listed for $220.

It hits way better than any Southwest I've ever tried. It hits so good that I've turned down over $1000 for it many, many times, even years ago when $1000 was worth way more than now. As a matter of fact, I was offered $1500 for it this year by a guy who hit about 7 or 8 balls with it.

When my $118 production cue can bring in over 10 times what I paid for it means something. None of the people who offered to buy it were cue collectors hoping for a profit later on. They were pool players who knew a "good hitting" cue when they played with it.

I'm excited to get my new Southwest. I've owned one before and liked it. But, my two D-model McDermotts played better to me as well. That's not taking anything away from Southwest as they are amazing. But those D-model McDermotts may very well be the best production cues ever in my opinion. Amazing cues!

JC

Coos Cues
The problem is when people think of them in the same terms as other cues.

They are not a pool cue, they are a cult.

trinacria

in efren we trust
Silver Member
Couldnt stand my SW either and sold it as soon as possible.

It's not like these cues are being bought for 5k and getting flipped for 10k or more. If a grand is a huge profit for these people(enough to sell "the best cue ever made") they must not play that well, because if I found the "best cue ever" it wouldn't get sold.

I've talked to way more people that dont like the hit vs people who do.

You get butthurt everytime somebody says they dont like how a SW plays

don't listen to cue flippers, all cues play great for them. and I agree that SWs play like shit, they feel like a log as someone just used that term, as in dead feeling. you get minimal feedback from them and the design is boring and lame. especially the butt end, they look like a mistake was fixed and they ran out of the same color wood.

bobalouiecda

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Sw

Have never had the opportunity to hit with a SW. I had the good fortune to shoot with many top named cues. Bought and sold quite a few cues, always looking for that cue with the right balance and feedback. I won many tournaments with my Huebler in the 80s. It had that feel. Sold it to a friend and found not all Hueblers play the same. Mike Cochran sold me one of his cues a couple years prior to his passing. It was quite pricey. Shot in 15 balls w/o missing. Was so impressed with the cue, but was afraid to use it. Sold it after he died and have been sorry since. Price is not a measure of playability, but certain cue makers are more consistent.

His word is good as gold? So whatever happened to him disclosing who built the jackpot cues, everyone been telling me it was just a batch of Schmekles, don't know if thats true since he never named the maker after clearly stating he would, I guess our concepts of good as gold are a bit different.

I do know Deano ain't Billy or Tony, does knowing players or cue makers somehow make a person a player or knowledgeable about building cues? I mean you would think someone who has been around the greatest cue makers wouldn't pitch the idea of "magic draw cues" or proceed in mislableing/misrepresenting who built the Jackpots.

I think that I read a thread on here where Deano (or maybe someone else) said that the Jackpot cues are made by Jack Potter of Libra cues.

https://www.proficientbilliards.com/cuerepair/index.php?/category/239