Turning Stone

cuedoctor

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
People who are there just to pull Earl's chain should be removed.
That's the truth! Seen it many times at the US open 9ball. I especially liked the guy with the potato chip bag everytime Earl would get down to shoot. Yes Earl has issues....but the rail bird who have money on these matches have ALOT to gain from getting Earl to go off.

couldnthinkof01

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
That's the truth! Seen it many times at the US open 9ball. I especially liked the guy with the potato chip bag everytime Earl would get down to shoot. Yes Earl has issues....but the rail bird who have money on these matches have ALOT to gain from getting Earl to go off.
Refs and Tds allow fans to get away with that. Kick fans out, tell players not to engage with fans?
Allow fan and player interactions, nobody complains?
Earls gonna Earl.

Positively Ralf

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Why would SVB say "blame the railbirds" when Earl clearly got called out by Bucky on a rule that has been known in this tournament for years and acted the way he did?

As for the Turning Stone, I'm in agreement with the person who said it before, but I'm tired of watching some of these pros come into this tournament and basically rob the thing. I have no idea how entry works at TS, but I'm hoping they are getting charged triple the amount that a regular on the tour gets charged.

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
While Shane did forfeit a match before it even began, I haven't commented on it and won't. That's between him and Mike Zuglan, although the multitude of circumstances surrounding his forfeit were no secret to many of us who were there.

As for railbirds figuring in Earl's forfeit, I didn't see or hear it, although it's quite possible that a few made negative comments once Earl committed the infraction that qualified as unsportsmanlike conduct under the rules and that may have contributed to his outburst and ultimate forfeit. I just wasn't close enough to say.

To suggest that he was being harassed at Turning Stone by the railbirds as the event was in progress doesn't jive with my observation. In fact, as a regular attendee, I'd give the Turning Stone railbirds, most of them locals and New Englanders, high marks over the years for being among the most respectful of the pro players and I think it's one of many reasons that the players enjoy coming to the event so much.

Shane being an apologist for Earl has happened many, many times over the years, and the facts, which in this case he doesn't even know because he wasn't there, are never significant to him. You don't have to walk a mile in their shoes to understand what kind of conduct is and isn't acceptable in pro pool. The sob story that they play on their own dime and, therefore, have a right to make any decisions they like, even forfeiting, shows just how little they are committed to their sport, to event producers and all those who figure in generating the money that fills the prize funds. This is the selfishness that too often demeans our sport and obstructs its growth. Thankfully, the Europeans and Asians who presently dominate pro pool nearly never conduct themselves this way.

buckshotshoey

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Why would SVB say "blame the railbirds" when Earl clearly got called out by Bucky on a rule that has been known in this tournament for years and acted the way he did?

As for the Turning Stone, I'm in agreement with the person who said it before, but I'm tired of watching some of these pros come into this tournament and basically rob the thing. I have no idea how entry works at TS, but I'm hoping they are getting charged triple the amount that a regular on the tour gets charged.
It an "Open" tournament. And these guys are earning what they make.... not robbing it. They paid their dues.

Jaden

"no buds chill"
Silver Member
I agree about the racking nonsense. I enjoy watching Shaw play, but rerack after rerack is terrible for the fans, some type of rule needs to be put in place- no checking the rack or use a template. Otherwise it is farcical- the turning stone racking championship
Me and my friend were just talking about this. They need to use a template rack and rack your own.

Jaden

MattPoland

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Earl is not a competing professional. Though still highly skilled, he does not qualify, as he has opted to sit out nearly the entire array of major pool events for the second straight year. Add that to his highly unprofessional behavior, found in every single one of his matches at Turning Stone, and case closed. Yes, he was selected for Mosconi a year ago in what was an insult to every American fan and to every American pro fully committed to a career in pro pool. He's got one very big fan in Barry Hearn, however, so a repeat of this insult can't be ruled out for 2022, despite Matchroom's announced commitment to becoming a meritocracy in which invitations are earned through frequent participation and superior play.

Let it be noted that there was a triple clash in play here. The Texas Open, the Ten Ball Teams in Austria and Turning Stone were all tightly bunched on the pool calendar. A little unlucky here for Turning Stone, but I look for this event to have the kind of fields to which it has become accustomed in the future. Turning Stone remains one of the jewels in the crown that is American pool, the climax of the Joss Northeast Tour, America's oldest surviving tour that goes back some twenty-five years. Everyone loves the Joss tour, and Mike Zuglan has got running a pool event down to a science. Attending fans are always aplenty at this event, too, as entry is free.

This event fills up almost as quickly as the Matchroom events and could probably get another fifty entries if Mike wanted.

I can see why you're expressing some concern here, but I do not agree that the prestige of Turning Stone has fallen. Still, this field was a disappointment. FYI, the next Turning Stone event is, based on past experience, in early January, and there are generally no scheduling clashes in play at that time.
Good point with Earl. I know there’s debate on both Earl and Shane’s choice to forfeit. Shane’s stands out to me because he was advertised on the flyer. Given the event had been the Shane / Shaw show for over a decade, Shane’s forfeit is a reflection on the event’s prestige as a professional event. It didn’t matter enough to the poster boy to stick around. That wouldn’t happen at the US Open. It just means TS is now the class of event where that has happened. As an amateur event, it may be thriving but as a pro event, as you acknowledged, there is cause for concern.

JAM

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Shane.JPG

Island Drive

Otto/Dads College Roommate/Cleveland Browns
Silver Member
All this opinionated verbal drool from some posters who ''know it all ''....makes me realize, many were not raised in life tp respect another for their views, mistakes, opinions and accomplishments and what's right/wrong, and talk and help one another.
I'm glad I'm gonna not going to be alive another 50 years.
If I was I'd move to Exuma Bahamas and live it out on my lot by ocean on the lee side of the island 1/2 mile from the ocean.

Last edited:

westcoast

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Me and my friend were just talking about this. They need to use a template rack and rack your own.

Jaden
Doesn't even have to be rack your own- not that I'm opposed to it, but a template would have sped up the racking greatly

fjk

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
While Shane did forfeit a match before it even began, I haven't commented on it and won't. That's between him and Mike Zuglan, although the multitude of circumstances surrounding his forfeit were no secret to many of us who were there.

As for railbirds figuring in Earl's forfeit, I didn't see or hear it, although it's quite possible that a few made negative comments once Earl committed the infraction that qualified as unsportsmanlike conduct under the rules and that may have contributed to his outburst and ultimate forfeit. I just wasn't close enough to say.

To suggest that he was being harassed at Turning Stone by the railbirds as the event was in progress doesn't jive with my observation. In fact, as a regular attendee, I'd give the Turning Stone railbirds, most of them locals and New Englanders, high marks over the years for being among the most respectful of the pro players and I think it's one of many reasons that the players enjoy coming to the event so much.

Shane being an apologist for Earl has happened many, many times over the years, and the facts, which in this case he doesn't even know because he wasn't there, are never significant to him. You don't have to walk a mile in their shoes to understand what kind of conduct is and isn't acceptable in pro pool. The sob story that they play on their own dime and, therefore, have a right to make any decisions they like, even forfeiting, shows just how little they are committed to their sport, to event producers and all those who figure in generating the money that fills the prize funds. This is the selfishness that too often demeans our sport and obstructs its growth. Thankfully, the Europeans and Asians who presently dominate pro pool nearly never conduct themselves this way.
You have a point regarding a pro should have a different level of commitment to the game / tournament that the casual player. If I chose to forfeit, that would be more OK, but some folks might have went there with the hopes of watching Shane and Earl play. Considering that, and to help support and grow their sport, they should have hung around for the fans.