TV Cue Ball vs Regular Cue ball

3kushn

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Red Circle and Pro Cup Cue ball.

If both balls are the same size and weigh the same, it must be the construction and materials used.

The Pro Cup ball (as read from back of the package details) is constructed using the same process as carom balls.

Unless you have brand new balls and brand new cue balls, measuring weight and diameter will almost always be different.

It has been my experience that most comparisons have been made with old red circle cue balls that are lighter and smaller than the new Pro Cup cue ball.

If you take the striped balls of a set that is 5 playing years old and compare with the same playing age red circle cue ball.. the cue ball will be smaller than the stripped balls. Reason being (IMO) is that the stripes don't get played with as often as the solids (again, IMO, 9 ball being more popular in a pool room than 8 ball)

Exactly Right and the CB will be the smallest since it is hit on every shot unless you're playing English Billiards.

Aramith or better said Saluc is a PRECISION BALL MANUFACTURER. They make balls for critical industrial applications not just pool and billiards. They are THE PREMIER manufacturer for our sports. They would not be there if they couldn't or wouldn't hold size tolerances on all their products.

Chalk is abrasive. Playing on dirty tables is like playing on sand paper. At least as far as the balls are is concerned.

DennisG

Registered
The measle ball is definitely larger and heavier. I just got one last week. For size, we put it between two object balls on the rail and took the rack and the rack rocks back and forth on the top of the measle.

We weighed both cue balls and the red dot was like 5.57 oz and the measle was like 5.9 oz.

I still enjoy playing with it but I wish it was the same size and weight.

Dennis

randyg

www.randygpool.com
Silver Member
The red circle is lighter than the object balls,

so therefore it tends to move around faster because you can draw the crap out of with less stroke and it bounces off other balls with much more energy. The measles ball is the same size and weight as the other balls so the collisions are more "real" and its not acting like a pinball machine. Its a little harder to draw if you have less stroke, but over all a much better ball and it will give you a more constant feel and consistent play.

What object balls are you weighing it against? Red Circles weigh the same as most object balls.
randyg

randyg

www.randygpool.com
Silver Member
To my knowledge there was an early set of Measle Balls produced that where slightly larger than 21/4. I have one in Pool School. Later on most Measle Balls made by another company where perfect size.
randyg

3andstop

Focus
Silver Member
Maybe aramith will come out with something like Levy jeans ... that prewashed jean they have, maybe they can do that with the CBs. :shrug:

randyg

www.randygpool.com
Silver Member
Red Circle and Pro Cup Cue ball.

If both balls are the same size and weigh the same, it must be the construction and materials used.

The Pro Cup ball (as read from back of the package details) is constructed using the same process as carom balls.

Unless you have brand new balls and brand new cue balls, measuring weight and diameter will almost always be different.

It has been my experience that most comparisons have been made with old red circle cue balls that are lighter and smaller than the new Pro Cup cue ball.

If you take the striped balls of a set that is 5 playing years old and compare with the same playing age red circle cue ball.. the cue ball will be smaller than the stripped balls. Reason being (IMO) is that the stripes don't get played with as often as the solids (again, IMO, 9 ball being more popular in a pool room than 8 ball)

I agree. Also Friction & Atmosphere has a lot to do with the reduction in size. After all the balls are made from petroleum products and they lose their size over time...randyg

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
To my knowledge there was an early set of Measle Balls produced that where slightly larger than 21/4. I have one in Pool School. Later on most Measle Balls made by another company where perfect size.
randyg

I have two measles balls but can't remember which is the "real" one. Does anyone know if the real one is more a pure white, or more of a red circle yellow?

Lou Figueroa

Maniac

2manyQ's
Silver Member
Not to refute anybody's post which gave us information/data (mosconiac for one), but in my experiences I have always felt that the red circle cue ball plays a SLIGHT bit lighter than most object balls while the measles ball (not a "knock-off") I own and use at home plays a SLIGHT bit heavier than the cueball that came with my Aramith set (although it is the same size).

Maniac

KMRUNOUT

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If you take the measles ball next to an object ball and put them against a rail side by side you will see the measeles ball is bigger.

No you won't. You will see an optical illusion that you and some others apparently fell for. Get out your calipers and measure it. It is exactly the same size.

KMRUNOUT

KMRUNOUT

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Another way to test, is if you have say, a delta 13 rack that is a perfect triangle, put the cue ball in the rack with 14 other balls. Hold the balls in tight and move the rack, if any of the balls are moving they are undersized.

All these tests are relying on the correct size of the other balls. No one has a pair of calipers and can just measure them? The "rack test" at least will accurately tell you if the cue ball is smaller than the balls you compare it to (assuming you do it on a hard surface), but won't tell you anything about what size it *is*.

KMRUNOUT

KMRUNOUT

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The measle ball is definitely larger and heavier. I just got one last week. For size, we put it between two object balls on the rail and took the rack and the rack rocks back and forth on the top of the measle.

We weighed both cue balls and the red dot was like 5.57 oz and the measle was like 5.9 oz.

Dennis

You are comparing a new ball to an old ball. The measle ball is *supposed* to weight 5.95 oz. The red circle I thought was supposed to weigh 5.85 new. Both are exactly 2.25" in diameter new.

Roadking

sweet william
Silver Member
I can assure you that size & weigh differences are in your head. Here is some data I compiled that will show you what I mean.

You may have a point about a different surface texture/polish. You should realize that there are "measles" knock-offs out there that SU@K! A genuine measles is my favorite CB.

http://forums.azbilliards.com/showthread.php?p=1296719#post1296719

This post say's it all. I just mic'd my measles cue ball at exactlly 2 1/4. And if you can feel the weight differance of .01 oz you should be working at NASA.

TheBook

Ret Professional Goof Off
Silver Member
Decided to play at my local pool hall with the regular red dot cue ball instead of the TV ball.Seems like a world of difference.The red dot is the same size as the rest of the balls and much easier to play then the TV Ball.
Also seems like the regular arimith cue ball doesn't show alot of chalk wear.
So the question UI have is why they didn't keep the cue ball the same size and just add a few more dots.It also seems that the TV ball is heavier and rolls out more.
Any thoughts?

People will look about 10lbs heavier on TV so the actors have to be thinner so they don't look as heavy. So it is probably a optical illusion that the ball looks bigger and heavier.:shrug::scratchhead::rotflmao:

dogassokie

dogassokie
measle ball

the measle ball is both heavier and bigger than a regular red dot or blue dot. i practice with the measle because of the level of difficulty. think bar table cue ball. measles aren't that big but still provide a much greater challenge and will eventually do great things with a poor stroke.

randyg

www.randygpool.com
Silver Member
Not to refute anybody's post which gave us information/data (mosconiac for one), but in my experiences I have always felt that the red circle cue ball plays a SLIGHT bit lighter than most object balls while the measles ball (not a "knock-off") I own and use at home plays a SLIGHT bit heavier than the cueball that came with my Aramith set (although it is the same size).

Maniac

You are correct. The Aramith set is slightly heavier.
randyg

hunger strike

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
optical illusion?

Ok guys, here is a way to test for optical illusion of a measles ball. Take two red circle cueballs; use one as a control and with the other get a red magic marker and make measles just like a factory measles ball. Then compare the two red circle balls, and I believe the marked ball will look larger. I put magic marker measles on my red circle cueball when measles balls came out ~ this was to decide if i wanted to spend $25-30 on one. The magic marker measles come off after playing a while due to cloth polishing them off.

ctyhntr

RIP Kelly
Silver Member
Sounds like they're a mismatched set. FWIW, one of the poolhalls around here keeps two set types, one for bangers and Brunswick Centennials for people who asked. The staff calls the later the heavy set. A while back, I weigh some centennials, and they came in around 5.9 ounces.

Dennis

cigardave

Who's got a light?
Silver Member
I have two measles balls but can't remember which is the "real" one. Does anyone know if the real one is more a pure white, or more of a red circle yellow?

Lou Figueroa
Lou - The real one has a higher coefficient of restitution (CoR). I have a counterfeit one so I know. The higher the CoR, the more efficient the collision. Read more here about CoR

Do this test.

From eye-level, simultaneously drop both balls onto a smooth concrete floor. The real one will bounce ~8" higher than the counterfeit one.

Post your results.

And even if two cue balls weigh the same and both have the same diameter, they will play differently if they have different CoRs.

cd