Two things I don't understand about snooker

alstl

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
1 - Why do the not allow chalk on the rail. Chalk in your pocket is nasty. Not only does your pocket get full of chalk which is a problem doing laundry but he runs through the pocket onto your leg. I wash the chalk off my hands when I'm done. Snooker player wash it off the hands and their leg. Why would they make a goofy rule like that?

2 - Why do snooker players drag the butt of the cue around the table on the floor? The butt of the cue picks up whatever anybody brought into the pool hall on the soles of their shoes from outdoors. When they grip the cue it transfers to their hand. Blue chalk on their leg, dog **** on their hand.

BeiberLvr

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
1. Keeps the rails clean. I play with chalk in my pocket on occasion. Never run into any of the issues you mentioned.

2. Snooker matches are long. They need to conserve energy and one way is to drag the butt of the cue and only lift it off the floor when they are ready to shoot.

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
Number one answer....
...UK players buy their own chalk...if you don’t have any, you pay for it at the counter.

...so there’s an ownership angle to why they carry their chalk.

ShortBusRuss

Short Bus Russ - C Player
Silver Member
I think the main reason for these things is to give people ammo to ask pointless question on internet forums....

Short Bus Russ

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Why no bank shots?

Seems with those silly cut pockets that there'd be some crazy 2, 3 or 4 railers...:duck:

franko

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Notice

I notice they never chalk their cue over the table which would make for a cleaner more stable playing surface .
Americans complain about the dirty cloth then grind the chalk onto their tip over the table.

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
I think the main reason for these things is to give people ammo to ask pointless question on internet forums....

Short Bus Russ

I think the subject of why people do things is interesting.
....some of our habits are rooted in the distant past.

one stroke

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Why no bank shots?

Seems with those silly cut pockets that there'd be some crazy 2, 3 or 4 railers...:duck:

three rail side rail head rail side rail side pocket is your best chance at a 3 rail a 2 rail side rail head rail side pocked for 2 rails , one rail bank side rail or head rail to side pocket ,, the easiest one rail banks

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
three rail side rail head rail side rail side pocket is your best chance at a 3 rail a 2 rail side rail head rail side pocked for 2 rails , one rail bank side rail or head rail to side pocket ,, the easiest one rail banks

The “three in the side” is called a “cocked hat double” in Merry Olde....:eek:
....and they invented this language...:rolleyes:

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
1 - Why do the not allow chalk on the rail. ...
It's considered a form of marking the table. They do rest chalk on the table but only when they're in a stretched-out position that would crush the chalk in their chalk pocket.

But a practical reason to carry your chalk is that it is yours and shaped to the shape of your tip. And maybe you don't trust the crap that happens to be on the table. And some people have paid $30 for their chalk.

At carom the player will usually rest the chalk on the rail and of course take it off the table when his inning is over. Sang Lee was careful to put his chalk on a diamond so there would be no question of marking.

one stroke

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It's considered a form of marking the table. They do rest chalk on the table but only when they're in a stretched-out position that would crush the chalk in their chalk pocket.

But a practical reason to carry your chalk is that it is yours and shaped to the shape of your tip. And maybe you don't trust the crap that happens to be on the table. And some people have paid $30 for their chalk.

At carom the player will usually rest the chalk on the rail and of course take it off the table when his inning is over. Sang Lee was careful to put his chalk on a diamond so there would be no question of marking.
there is zero practical reason to leave chalk on the rail for a marker in snooker

gogg

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Now THAT is a nugget of info! Thank you Kindly

PhilosopherKing

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I don't know what spurred the rule, but with the size of the table, the match lengths, and the amount of television coverage, a player is bound to waste a lot of time and energy chasing a cube of chalk around.

Cluttering the rails with multiple pieces would also be problematic for tv and a distraction to the players.

I'd be carrying mine, rule or no rule.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I think the chalk in the pocket is just a habit, not a rule.
I don't think I've seen an actual rule against chalk on the table, but in the referees' handbook by John Street, he says it shouldn't be permitted as it can be considered marking the table.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
there is zero practical reason to leave chalk on the rail for a marker in snooker

Well, if you are playing a slow-roll safety on new cloth and are coming off two cushions, and the foul-and-a-miss rule is in effect, it will help to place chalk as a target on the cushion so that you can adjust it in case you fail to hit the ball on and are required to play the shot again from where the balls were.

KMRUNOUT

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
1 - Why do the not allow chalk on the rail. Chalk in your pocket is nasty. Not only does your pocket get full of chalk which is a problem doing laundry but he runs through the pocket onto your leg. I wash the chalk off my hands when I'm done. Snooker player wash it off the hands and their leg. Why would they make a goofy rule like that?

2 - Why do snooker players drag the butt of the cue around the table on the floor? The butt of the cue picks up whatever anybody brought into the pool hall on the soles of their shoes from outdoors. When they grip the cue it transfers to their hand. Blue chalk on their leg, dog **** on their hand.

The first question seems easy to answer. Not having chalk on the rail is *better* than having it on the rail. It doesn't get the rails dirty, it doesn't need to be moved if it is in your way or a visual distraction. I see those little chalk pouches that many of the snookers players use to hold the chalk by their belt. I honestly can't believe leaving chalk all over the rails is still a thing. I use a chalk holder. I happen to have the Kamui one and it is absolutely awesome. I used to keep chalk in my back pocket, but that didn't work so well for some of the reasons you mentioned, plus the chalk would often wear holes in my back pocket. I can't imagine a serious player not wanting to have their own chalk. I think in some cases nostalgia and stubbornness trump logic and practicality.

The second question...no clue.

KMRUNOUT