Two useful kiss shots by the rail

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Here are two kiss shots that I set up in Virtual Pool, since I'm not permitted near pool tables right now. They look impossible, and they are without an extra little kiss. Each is shown three times in two versions at half speed: first near the cushion where you are more likely to make it and then with the balls farther back so you can see the action more clearly.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GAqj8Q4ikR8
 
Those are sweet shots....never played one.
Alex showed me a similar shot to the first one that actually came up in a 1-hole game.
 
Those are sweet shots....never played one.
Alex showed me a similar shot to the first one that actually came up in a 1-hole game.
I recently played one like the second in a straight pool match. I'm sure I've passed up such shots many times before I knew about them. At one pocket, it is not necessarily a disaster if you hang the ball in the jaws.
 
A guy showed me that 3rd shot years ago, and it came up the very first time I played after that.
 
Oh ye when you learn a new word
You see it in print the next day!

I saw alex make this- or a very similar shot
In a one pocket match on povpool’s youtube channel
I hit the <<<
5 seconds
Button about twenty times
 
thanks bob for the videos
i am sure i have passed over this type shot many times
 
Last edited:
Thanks for the above,,never saw anything to do but play safe from messes like that before,,now I have other options..Thanks again.
 
Great stuff, Bob.

The late Jimmy Fusco used to bet on shots like these as proposition shots, especially shot #1, and I remember just how shocked I was when he made them. Pleased to say I never bet against him but, as he was my friend, I wish I'd asked him to teach them to me.

Thanks for sharing.
 
Very cool stuff. Takes a player to be able to recognize the shot when it pops up. Thanks
 
Here's another that is quite a bit harder to play. You have to get the ball you hit moving towards the cushion or the shot can't go. I have shown it pretty far from the rail -- it's easier close to the cushion but it's impossible to see the action.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n7vVKcsXx2Q
 
Here's another that is quite a bit harder to play. You have to get the ball you hit moving towards the cushion or the shot can't go. I have shown it pretty far from the rail -- it's easier close to the cushion but it's impossible to see the action.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n7vVKcsXx2Q
These are cool to see... which of them would you shoot in a game where you had to make it (no two-way)?

pj
chgo
 
These are cool to see... which of them would you shoot in a game where you had to make it (no two-way)?

pj
chgo
Close to the pocket and sitting like I had practiced it before, pretty likely.

Sitting a little funny or 18 inches from the pocket, not likely.

At one pocket or eight ball (which are sort of two-way situations), all the time if I recognize the shot.
 
I would really like to see an alternative 14.1 safety play in that layout, for those do NOT consider themselves particularly lucky.
 
I would really like to see an alternative 14.1 safety play in that layout, for those do NOT consider themselves particularly lucky.
If you don't practice the shot, of course you shouldn't shoot it. I think it's not a matter of luck.

As far as 14.1 safeties in those positions, I think they are pretty much like the shots but softer. Again, you will have to practice them.
 
Close to the pocket and sitting like I had practiced it before, pretty likely.

Sitting a little funny or 18 inches from the pocket, not likely.

At one pocket or eight ball (which are sort of two-way situations), all the time if I recognize the shot.

All good stuff here Bob. The nice thing about using these shots in One Pocket is that even if you "miss", you leave the object ball real close or hanging in the pocket.
 
Kiss shot along the rail 8 in nearest corner pocket.
 

Attachments

  • 20200706_204322.jpg
    20200706_204322.jpg
    44.8 KB · Views: 154
Here are two kiss shots that I set up in Virtual Pool, since I'm not permitted near pool tables right now. They look impossible, and they are without an extra little kiss. Each is shown three times in two versions at half speed: first near the cushion where you are more likely to make it and then with the balls farther back so you can see the action more clearly.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GAqj8Q4ikR8

Bob,

I had seen (and used) the first shot many years ago......
never saw the second one, thanks! :thumbup:

Will Prout
 
Back
Top