Types of people you see at the Pool Hall

Diamond69

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Pre and Post

I saw The Pointer. But there is the Pre and Post Pointers.

Post Pointers simply want everyone watching to know where their ideal position was supposed to be, but didn't get there because of the dead rails, fast cloth etc. As if they knew exactly where they wanted it, but the cosmic universe plotted against them.

Pre Pointers are the real fun ones. They are the ones that figure out where they want to be, then put the tip of their cue there and walk back to their shot while leaving the tip on the table the entire time until they get back to their shot. Then miss that spot by 18 inches anyway.

Diamond69

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
One more

The Pope - Not to be confused with the Used to be Great guy.

The Pope truly is a class act legend. He won't talk about how great he used to be, because others do it for him. He's the 70+ year old that still is in leagues, napping in his stool waiting for his game, simply because he loves the game. Even at his age, still one of the best shooters in the area. This man has forgotten more about pool than most will ever know. Will still gamble with anyone that dares to challenge him. Never would spout unsolicited advice, but if you were a good kid, he would answer any question, or help you with your game in any way he could.

Maniac

2manyQ's
Silver Member
The AZB'er

The AZB'er

This is the guy at the poolhall that claims he can run a six-pack of 9-ball when in fact he has probably never ran two racks in a row yet. He also claims he has never missed a ball using CTE, beats the 15-ball rotation ghost daily using TOI, and is a certified instructor. He believes that women players are inferior, leagues suck, billiard gloves are for sissies, and he without a doubt knows what's wrong with pool (and how to fix it). He can tell you what cue is the best, what tip to use on your cue, and which chalk works the best. He has cues for sale that are 25% overpriced and he says if your not playing with a high-end custom, then you don't really have a cue. If you should (God forbid) have an opinion, he'll tell you flat-out that you're wrong!!!

Maniac

JoeW

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Tried to rep you for the AZB'er Maniac but I have to spread some rep around first.

That was good for a belly laugh this AM.:D

JoeW

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Haven't seen old Rand McNally mentioned yet.

Any good players need to map out their run. But this guy will get down on each imaginary cue ball for all 5,6,7 shots in his map. Go back to the first shot, sink it and miss the mapped position and do it all over again from his new position. Takes him several minutes for his 3 ball run.

Oh dear, I think I have been identified. Damn, I have that big book in my car too along with a GPS.

Hey sometimes I run four balls.

Matt

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Post Pointers simply want everyone watching to know where their ideal position was supposed to be, but didn't get there because of the dead rails, fast cloth etc. As if they knew exactly where they wanted it, but the cosmic universe plotted against them.
I get a kick out of playing against pointers. You can almost always see it coming, so I use the time while they are walking over to execute "the point" to think of something to say about their leave. Then you just wait for it: is he gonna do it?...I think he is...yep, here comes the point...jackpot! "Wow! That wasn't even close, was it!?" :grin:

The best is when they send the cue ball 3 rails then point to a spot with a half-inch margin of error with a look like they can't imagine what went wrong.

easy-e

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I haven't been keeping up. Is there a name for the guy who watches you practice straight pool and then tells you his high run was somewhere between 90 and 130? The guy also claims that he "probably couldn't run 20 anymore since he quit playing."

BrokeStroke

I need the wild 2.
Silver Member
I saw The Pointer. But there is the Pre and Post Pointers.

Don't forget the other variation of post-pointers.

The guy that misses the shot, cue ball bounces off the rail, hits the side pocket point, smacks another ball and lands perfectly for the next ball.
He then points at the position and looks at you as if to say, "Just like I played it. Except I missed the shot."

Hungarian

C'mon, man!
Silver Member
No Sir, not yet. But now there is...

There's always "THAT" guy

I haven't been keeping up. Is there a name for the guy who watches you practice straight pool and then tells you his high run was somewhere between 90 and 130? The guy also claims that he "probably couldn't run 20 anymore since he quit playing."

okrad1337

Registered
The loud crybaby - everyone in the poolroom must know that he missed a shot, why he missed it..keeps on talking about it even when his oppenent is about to shoot...

extremly negative person, trying to convince other players that they ar as bad as him...misses the same shots every day, has the same obnoxious reaction every day, never learns to behave, never wants to, trying to get an edge (or something going his way) by shouting...

when he's winning he's quiet, when he's losing, you will hear about it..

seems like a long list, but all of this is just one person in my local poolhall

mr ed5484r

Registered
The "Selective memory guy" Remembers where every ball was laying in a big match last month but forgot that he borrowed $20 from you last week.

Charlie Hustle

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The loud crybaby - everyone in the poolroom must know that he missed a shot, why he missed it..keeps on talking about it even when his oppenent is about to shoot...

extremly negative person, trying to convince other players that they ar as bad as him...misses the same shots every day, has the same obnoxious reaction every day, never learns to behave, never wants to, trying to get an edge (or something going his way) by shouting...

Sounds exactly like someone I know...

Diamond69

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Don't forget the other variation of post-pointers.

The guy that misses the shot, cue ball bounces off the rail, hits the side pocket point, smacks another ball and lands perfectly for the next ball.
He then points at the position and looks at you as if to say, "Just like I played it. Except I missed the shot."

Oh yah! Those guys are all over the place!!

jhanso18

Broken Lock
Silver Member

What's even worse than this guy is "The HORRIBLE Winner" If he loses he'll ***** a moan a bunch, but if he's got you stuck $50 he will talk shit for years about how he beat you once. Has no tact, and will brag about rolls that go his way like he meant to play safe. Criticize your shots when you miss and tell you how you can't beat him...

The local jack ass like this hasn't ever been knocked out simply cuz his old man is cool as hell, and smooths most of it out for the kid. It's really too bad cuz the kid plays great too. Just a pompus ass about it.

Banks

Banned
Too many pages to read, so not sure if anybody's covered..

The Inflator

He watched somebody play a rack and suddenly has them clocked at twice their speed. It could have been the person's first run-out, but he'll explain it like the guy was shooting without looking. Each league night, he finds a sandbagger that shoots better than X, has better cue control than Y and can't be beat by anybody he knows. What he doesn't know is that everybody knows the person and everybody's beat them.

alphadog

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The AZB'er

This is the guy at the poolhall that claims he can run a six-pack of 9-ball when in fact he has probably never ran two racks in a row yet. He also claims he has never missed a ball using CTE, beats the 15-ball rotation ghost daily using TOI, and is a certified instructor. He believes that women players are inferior, leagues suck, billiard gloves are for sissies, and he without a doubt knows what's wrong with pool (and how to fix it). He can tell you what cue is the best, what tip to use on your cue, and which chalk works the best. He has cues for sale that are 25% overpriced and he says if your not playing with a high-end custom, then you don't really have a cue. If you should (God forbid) have an opinion, he'll tell you flat-out that you're wrong!!!

Maniac
Sir you are wrong.
cues for sale-lessons-tournament/league advisor
;););););)

Charlie Hustle

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Sir you are wrong.
cues for sale-lessons-tournament/league advisor
;););););)

For the longest time, looking at your avatar I thought it was chicken on white rice. Now looking a lot closer, Im pretty sure its ice cream and strawberries, am I right?

alphadog

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
For the longest time, looking at your avatar I thought it was chicken on white rice. Now looking a lot closer, Im pretty sure its ice cream and strawberries, am I right?

Homemade strawberry shortcake-as one gets older-sexy takes on new meanings:grin-square: