kling&allen

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
IMG_0222.jpeg

Scott winning the internet at least.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Just curious here: how do the refs get their jobs? Volunteers or MR staff? Any training involved?

SBC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
There's little difference in pocketing balls on a 4 vs 4.5 inch pocket table. Especially at pro level. Most players rooms have a tight pocket table or two and the better players thrive on them.

mista335

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I tried to listen to some of the Karl/Steve matches, but I just couldn't. I had to turn the sound off.
What is that constant sound droning in the background?

Is Harrah's next to a train station?

Funny it's not there on table 2.

Really amateurish sound.

jasonlaus

Rep for Smorg
Silver Member
As the days pass, the cloth wears, dirt accumulates, the cushion nose begins to grab more.
The balls wear/pit slightly with chalk being pounded into the shiny new surfaces.
Now toss in some excessive Humidity, the weekend crowds and its raining outside, it's no longer EXCITING Run Out Shaw Nine ball.

Players need to speak up.
4'' has always been too small.

bm
You said weekend crowds 🤣🤣🤣

jokrswylde

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Bruh. In the mid-90s when we were still riding the wave of pool popularity due to The Color of Money and Earl Strickland was absolutely crushing it, 95% of the league players I associated with, had absolutely no clue who Earl and Efren were. League players generally don't bother to watch professional pool AT ALL.

Again.. We're just making up reasons for pool's fall in America, without considering how hard it is for today's American youth to even FIND a table they are allowed to play on. It gets really tiresome after the hundredth time of people being WAY offbase about the reasons why pool is not doing well in America. Euros have organized clubs, that while they might serve alcohol, don't have the uber-restrictions against minors being in those clubs, while America by and large, does. Euros also have better training programs, because the league systems are set up all over Europe specifically as a farm system for talent, whereas leagues in America are set up to get that $5 per month. THAT'S the issue. And no young players have access to pool in North America unless their parents own a table at home, or their family owns a pool hall (Morra and SVB...) when they are in their teens.

And here's a clue.. Doesn't matter how big the pockets are, if Americans have worse fundamentals than Euros. Sure, it might lead to an American upset over a Euro once in a while, but it won't make much of a difference in who wins the events. If you open up the pockets, American players outside of Skylar and SVB will run a few more racks per set, while the Euros will run A LOT more racks per set.
Brother, I know you THINK you have it all figured out, and it is very tiresome telling all us peons how silly we are for discussing it after you've already figured it out...kudos to you sir for steadfastly bearing that cross.

But here' a clue, it is a multi-faceted problem. Access to quality pool tables and instruction is but ONE of those problems. You could have all of the pool clubs and youth programs you want, but if American kids don't have a Babe Ruth, Michael Jordan, or Tom Brady to look up to and emulate, they likely aren't going to be all in on pool any more than the niche fee it garners now.

If access to pool tables were the solution, consider this: the U.S. has more home tables than any other country. That in itself should produce hundreds of Fedor gorsts if table access were the only issue. It's not.

So, as tiresome as it is, I guess we'll just have to keep discussing it on this here pool discussion board.

Nostroke

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I had a $14 burger at the Bobby Flay place last night. Not worth it at all. Tasted good but not a value in the slightest.

I also used the valet parking $25 for the regular week. Bit more over the weekend.
$14-$18 is standard for GOOD Burgers here in the NYC and Suburbs

Island Drive

Otto/Dads College Roommate/Cleveland Browns
Silver Member
$14-$18 is standard for GOOD Burgers here in the NYC and Suburbs
Here's what I do.
I find meals that are around $20 that are Huge.
Eat 1/2 now and half later.
At the Tropicana, they had No frigs, unless you wanted to pay an extra $20 a day.
What I did.
Got a to go bag from the restaurant.
Put the food in it, went back to my room, turned the a/c on cooooooooool. and hung the bag in front of the a/c outlet. Worked perfect.

Nostroke

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Here's what I do.
I find meals that are around $20 that are Huge.
Eat 1/2 now and half later.
At the Tropicana, they had No frigs, unless you wanted to pay an extra $20 a day.
What I did.
Got a to go bag from the restaurant.
Put the food in it, went back to my room, turned the a/c on cooooooooool. and hung the bag in front of the a/c outlet. Worked perfect.
I pay $11.00 for a Plain Roast Beef Sandwich (Not Boars Head) Home made which is huge on an over sized bun and delicious. I inspect the meat first. I use to be mad about the price but when i learned it easily lasts 2 days, it's really $5.50 and im happy. This is not at the Open.

eastcoast_chris

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I tried to listen to some of the Karl/Steve matches, but I just couldn't. I had to turn the sound off.
Yeah, that Steve guy has no clue. Calls everything wrong and just says different sound bites.

During the beginning of the Lee Vann Corteza vs Roberto Gomez match he was calling them by opposite names. Has no clue at all.

weakfingers

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The ref was pretty clear. She said the player in the chair becomes the ref when an official is not present. If that's the case, the only argument to be made is that Hunter couldn't actually have seen the foul from where he was sitting.
Even more interestingly, Mario He was involved in a hill-hill match in this same tournament when he believed his opponent failed to hit a rail after contact with the object ball. The referee determined that because a ref wasn’t present, the best they could do is ask the shooter what happened. The shooter said that no foul occurred and they resumed play. Mario He ended up winning the match regardless.

Here’s the video of the Mario He interview: https://fb.watch/njP-4zbuSA/?mibextid=onwyNj

Maniac

2manyQ's
Silver Member
Then every non shooting player should just call a shirt foul when their opponent is about to run out. Or here Scott could have called one when Hunter returned to the table.
I've always liked Hunter Lombardo and haven't ever cared much for Scott Frost, but this episode was total bull shit. This could open the door for more bull shit calls in the future. No ref present or called to watch a shot? Should be shooter's call.

Bad on you Hunter Lombardo. Not a classy move at all in my opinion.

8cree

Reverse Engineer
Silver Member
Anyone else know what table was behind Emily in the interview where she said there was a special reveal for the final 16? Looked like nice curvy legs... not just hers lol

The_JV

'AZB_Combat Certified'
Anyone else know what table was behind Emily in the interview where she said there was a special reveal for the final 16? Looked like nice curvy legs... not just hers lol
It's been under wraps the entire time I've been here since Sunday.

Guessing 3" pockets....lol

skogstokig

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Even more interestingly, Mario He was involved in a hill-hill match in this same tournament when he believed his opponent failed to hit a rail after contact with the object ball. The referee determined that because a ref wasn’t present, the best they could do is ask the shooter what happened. The shooter said that no foul occurred and they resumed play. Mario He ended up winning the match regardless.

Here’s the video of the Mario He interview: https://fb.watch/njP-4zbuSA/?mibextid=onwyNj

in both cases the ref should have been alerted beforehand. but also for mario to question a rail after contact makes more sense to me than to claim a shirt touched a ball. no rail after contact greatly effects the outcome and the game. that frosts shirt (maybe) touched a ball, that certainly didn't move noticably, didn't benefit scott in any way. ref should have been alerted in both cases, but one case is nittier than the other

FeelDaShot

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The Scott Frost/Hunter Lombardo issue was certainly bizarre. At first glance, Hunter seems like a piece of crap. However, I started thinking about it more and I'm not so sure anymore. Did the shirt touch? Who knows. But let's put ourselves in Hunter's shoes for a second and give him the benefit of the doubt that he did indeed see Scott's shirt touching the 6 ball.

From Hunter's perspective:
There is a lot on the line. This is the US Open. You've paid a big entry fee. You have major travel expenses. You're in contention for a Mosconi Cup spot. You've already lost one match and it's hill-hill. Stakes are high! So this is no casual match up where you're going to ignore a stupid rule and let the foul slide. All ball fouls apply and you expect everyone to follow the rules or face the consequences.

Scott is running out and you're staying quiet and respectful. Then Scott starts to lean over the 6 ball. You may consider calling a ref but it's not a close hit or anything so it would probably look like a shark move. You're sort of unsure if you should call a ref or not but then Scott stands back up and tucks in his shirt. With the shirt tucked in, you no longer anticipate an issue and also out of consideration for Scott, you sit still and just watch.

Then the shirt clearly touches. For the sake of this post, let's say it's more than just a quick touch, let's say it hangs there for a few seconds draped over the 6 ball. What do you do? You don't want to sound like a nit but the rules are pretty clear and there is a lot on the line.

Hunter didn't jump up to the table and shout "foul". He didn't even stand up or say "foul" at all. He simply said "You're touching the six". Notice that he didn't say "you touched the six", which would have been past tense. He used present tense, as if it's still currently happening as he speaks. This leads me to believe that it was longer than simple touch and go but rather a prolonged shirt touch (not that that matters anyways).

So now the ref comes over and Hunter is not argumentative or standing up trying to take a foul. He simply said what he saw and let the ref deal with it. What else can he do without being ostracized?

If Hunter truly saw the foul then I feel sorry for him. If he lied then I hope he burns in hell.

If this happened to me in a local gambling or tournament match I wouldn't call a foul. But I also don't play pool for a living or rely on good results to feed my family. So the situation is not the same at all. It's also worth noting that Hunter has a great reputation and has been known to call similar fouls on himself in the past.

The ruling from the ref is a different story all together. Typically the player at the table would have the final word regarding a foul or not. However, in this case Scott wasn't in a position to know whether or not his shirt touched. It's kind of a weird situation but I guess the ref made the only call that made sense. The rule is definitely open for abuse in the future.

It sucks to lose or win that way. I'm sure both players feel bad about it. But does Hunter really deserve all the hate? Not sure...

kling&allen

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
I've always liked Hunter Lombardo and haven't ever cared much for Scott Frost, but this episode was total bull shit. This could open the door for more bull shit calls in the future. No ref present or called to watch a shot? Should be shooter's call.

Bad on you Hunter Lombardo. Not a classy move at all in my opinion.

Yes, even in the $20 tournaments I play in you call someone over and watch if there might be a foul.

But Scott acting with virtue through this situation is a good example for us all. True class.