US Open 9-Ball -- info on early events?

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
My guesses are filled in below...

But Pat Fleming likely has the original list.
I can add to this list. Edgar "Shake and Bake" Whte, Jose Garcia, Gilles Darr (from Canada), Dave Ascolese, Allen Kiehle, Mike Nicoloro, Bob "Robert" Hunt, William "Bill" Stephen is correct.

skip100

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks for the info!

Those 1980s accustats magazines are amazing. Talk about a lot of hard work scoring thousands of games, collecting the data, and presenting it in print.

Poolplaya9

Tellin' it like it is...
Silver Member
Thanks for the info!

Those 1980s accustats magazines are amazing. Talk about a lot of hard work scoring thousands of games, collecting the data, and presenting it in print.
Agreed. Our own AtLarge also collects tons of statistics on tons of events and then takes the time to provide it all it in writing for free for all of us right here on AzBilliards. His latest compilation is at the link below for those that feel his efforts deserve a little recognition with some "likes".

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Thanks for the info!

Only one of the reasons Pat Fleming is in the Hall of Fame. Of course there weren't enough pool players who also read to keep the magazine in business, but in the end we got Accu-Stats videos from it.

skip100

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Only one of the reasons Pat Fleming is in the Hall of Fame. Of course there weren't enough pool players who also read to keep the magazine in business, but in the end we got Accu-Stats videos from it.
Are there more on top of what you uploaded to sfbilliards.com or is that the lot?

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
The website for the US Open while it was the Behrmans' is still available through the amazing site archive.org. The last version was from March of 2018. You can also see many previous versions there. The archive.org copies are not perfect and frequently don't capture complicated or interactive content. Here is the website from 2018:

https://web.archive.org/web/20180313234901/http://www.usopen9ballchampionships.com/

Note that the old website has the wrong chronology for the first four events, 1976-1979.

And here is the chart for the first Open as nearly as I can figure from the very incomplete report available:

CropperCapture[814].png

Last edited:

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
My guesses are filled in below...

But Pat Fleming likely has the original list.
Bill McCoy, Edgar White, John Meyer, Jose Garcia, Gilles Darr, Dave Clausen, Jack Nagovsky, Dave Ascolese, Allen Kiehle, Mike Nicoloro, Bob Hunt, Bill Daniels. Bill Stephen is correct.

poolguy4u

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Can any posters help identify any of the following first names from this 1985 Resorts International event in Atlantic City? http://www.sfbilliards.com/accustats/V1_N04.pdf

T. Squadroni
B. McCoy
C. DeValliere
E. White
T. Golly
W. Stephen
C. Savino
R. Durante
M. Sica
J. Meyer
E. DellaFerra
N. Weathers
J. Kozlowski
J. Garcia
D. Daya
G. Darr
P. Wirta
D. Clausen
C. Murphy
D. Gibson
J. Nacovsky
M. Kingsley
E. Costa
D. Ascolese
A. Kiehle
M. Zowner
M. Nicoloro
T. McGonagle
T. Furney
B. McCoy
P. Gavenonis
B. Hunt
R. Coleman
B. Daniels
I remember some. Billy McCoy, Tom Golly, Mike Sica, Jose Garcia, Dave Daya, Cisero Murphy. Alan Hopkins would certainly remember almost all the names. A lot of this players are local east coast guys.

skip100

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks, guys. Now I'm just missing:

C. Savino
R. Durante
E. DellaFerra
N. Weathers
J. Kozlowski
P. Wirta
D. Gibson
M. Kingsley
P. Gavenonis
T. Furney

They don't appear in any of the other Accustats-era events so presumably they are all locals. Most of them lost badly in the first round.

Last edited:

WildWing

Super Gun Mod
Silver Member
I'm pretty sure that's the correct spelling or at least it's not Sigel. Seidel seems to have been a player and promoter at about that time. Maybe from Florida. If Sigel had been there, he would have been mentioned in Behrman's write up and he wasn't.
Actually, the spelling may be correct with Mike Seidel. He was not from Florida. He was from Baltimore. Very good player. Also put on a great nine ball tournament in Baltimore in 1977 with all the greats. Mike Seidel (not Sigel) usually played at Bennie's Billiards, also known as Gentlemen's Cue in Baltimore. Many moons ago.

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I can add to this list. Edgar "Shake and Bake" Whte, Jose Garcia, Gilles Darr (from Canada), Dave Ascolese, Allen Kiehle, Mike Nicoloro, Bob "Robert" Hunt, William "Bill" Stephen is correct.
Giles darr is from VA, about 90min west of DC.

Sometimes he would come down from the hills to tangle with the big city folks.
Screenshot_20231130-083428.jpg
Screenshot_20231130-083412.jpg

Last edited: