US Open 9 Ball prize fund--explained for simpletons

stevelomako

Cash. I uses cash beech.
Silver Member
I'm so tired of people that can't read and understand how it's working.

To make it simple: Barry is adding 60,000 and paying 15,000 in entries for 15 former winners.

That is a total of 75,000 out of his pocket which the WPA is basing the tournament level on.

If some of the players Barry is paying for don't show up, then that money is going to be added to the 60,000 and there will be an additional 1,000 entry fee collected from the alternate player and added to the total which would make it more than the 188,000 that it stands at right now.

If you can't understand this, then God help us all and we would have to hope you aren't in a position of authority.

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
What you said is clear.

What Barry has said 10 different ways is not clear. People are not stupid. Barry does not know how to communicate.

Jesters

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

To make it simple: Barry is adding 60,000 and paying 15,000 in entries for 15 former winners.

That is a total of 75,000 out of his pocket which the WPA is basing the tournament level on.

If some of the players Barry is paying for don't show up, then that money is going to be added to the 60,000 and there will be an additional 1,000 entry fee collected from the alternate player and added to the total which would make it more than the 188,000 that it stands at right now.

If you can't understand this, then God help us all and we would have to hope you aren't in a position of authority.

I am guessing that your "Simpleton" remark was aimed at me from the other thread. I think I may be confused as to why player entries are not in the player entry pot aside from the added money. Also if the players that are going to take spots and pay does that mean the BB takes a thousand back from the added money since that's money for past Champions? So the prize fund would not go up. I may just be a simpleton but I think there are some questions. Maybe you can clarify the points I made since you seem to see this as simple.

watchez

What time is it?
Silver Member
The $75k according to Pat Fleming is already added and in escrow. So any of the 'free' entries that decide not to show and replaced by paid entrees will be added to the prize pool. There is nothing more for Barry to add or not.

stevelomako

Cash. I uses cash beech.
Silver Member
I am guessing that your "Simpleton" remark was aimed at me from the other thread. I think I may be confused as to why player entries are not in the player entry pot aside from the added money. Also if the players that are going to take spots and pay does that mean the BB takes a thousand back from the added money since that's money for past Champions? So the prize fund would not go up. I may just be a simpleton but I think there are some questions. Maybe you can clarify the points I made since you seem to see this as simple.

The $75k according to Pat Fleming is already added and in escrow. So any of the 'free' entries that decide not to show and replaced by paid entrees will be added to the prize pool. There is nothing more for Barry to add or not.

My comment was not to anyone specifictly. Barry has thrown 75,000 total into the pot.

His paid 15 entries and 113 more is 128,000 dollars and with his 60,000 added money makes a total of a 188,000 dollar prize fund.

If any of his paid players don't show he is not taking his money back, he is going to leave it in the prize fund and any alternates that get in will pay their $1,000 and that will go into the prize fund.

Efren is not showing up so the prize fund will be 189,000 now because the first alternate is in. Should be a few more.

Regarding Barry: good or bad, late or not, drunk or sober, he has put a lot of his own money and time in this through the years.

He's gone above and beyond what most every other promoter has done.

He's tried to make the players and spectators feel special and have a first class special event, it's not always worked out but he's tried and hasn't quit.

The easiest thing in life to do is quit.

Tennesseejoe

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Great post Steve....two kinds of people, doers and complainers.

Regarding Barry: good or bad, late or not, drunk or sober, he has put a lot of his own money and time in this through the years.

He's tried to make the players and spectators feel special and have a first class special event, it's not always worked out but he's tried and hasn't quit.

BRussell

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
For something so simple, you got it wrong stevelomako.

1. Barry is not paying this, Simonis and several other sponsors are, according to Barry.

2. WPA requires $75000 added for this to be a tier 2 event. Not $60000 (+ additional entries sponsored by the promoter). Not $60000 (+ free hotel and drinks). Not $60000 (+ free handjob coupons).

Mr. Bond

Orbis Non Sufficit
Gold Member
Silver Member

That is a total of 75,000 out of his pocket which the WPA is basing the tournament level on..

I could be mistaken but I think the main question being raised is whether or not entry fee money can be counted as " added money". ( per wpa rules )
If not, then the 15 paid entries shant be used toward the 75k....
Right?
Please correct me if I'm wrong.

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I could be mistaken but I think the main question being raised is whether or not entry fee money can be counted as " added money". ( per wpa rules )
Right?

Yes, this is the root question.

Apparently, the WPA is ok with it, because they granted the US Open Tier X status (I'm not sure which tier, but it has the WPA's support)

stevelomako

Cash. I uses cash beech.
Silver Member

1. Barry is not paying this, Simonis and several other sponsors are, according to Barry.

2. WPA requires $75000 added for this to be a tier 2 event. Not $60000 (+ additional entries sponsored by the promoter). Not $60000 (+ free hotel and drinks). Not $60000 (+ free handjob coupons).

Right?

Well...the WPA is accepting it like he added $75,000.

I could be be wrong...but I'm not. :rolleyes: lol

BRussell

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
$75000 has been added. Pat Fleming has said it, and people trust him.

But when asked about it, Barry can't give a straight answer, it's gonna be a great event this year, let me be perfectly crystal clear about this, and then says it's $60000 plus $15000 in free entries. But they're not because that's a separate category, and even if those 15 players don't all come it will still all stay. I'm sorry but then those are not free entries.

Who knows why he's presenting it differently from the truth. Does he just not really understand? Is he planning some funny business later? Does he just BS out of habit? I don't know, but accounting categories matter. Try telling the IRS that you don't have $75000 in taxable income, it's really $60000 + some extra in a different category.

Jesters

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
$75000 has been added. Pat Fleming has said it, and people trust him.

But when asked about it, Barry can't give a straight answer, it's gonna be a great event this year, let me be perfectly crystal clear about this, and then says it's $60000 plus $15000 in free entries. But they're not because that's a separate category, and even if those 15 players don't all come it will still all stay. I'm sorry but then those are not free entries.

Who knows why he's presenting it differently from the truth. Does he just not really understand? Is he planning some funny business later? Does he just BS out of habit? I don't know, but accounting categories matter. Try telling the IRS that you don't have $75000 in taxable income, it's really $60000 + some extra in a different category.

That's where it gets misty to me also. If you can add the entry fees to the added money why not just say its $188k added event?

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Technically the way the "added money" and the "free entry for past champions" is designated, this event is a Category 3 event, not a Category 2 event. We will see how the WPA designates it when all the dust settles. This is clear reading the requirements below.

From the WPA website http://www.wpa-pool.com/web/tournament_sanctioning_catalogue

Category C.

Ranking events have three categories, 1, 2 & 3.

Category 1 – World Championships, minimum 32 players and minimum added prize money is $100,000

Category 2 – Events with a minimum of 32 players and offering $75,000 or more in added prize money

Category 3 – Events with a minimum of 32 players and offering between $50,000 and $75,000 of added prize money

Last edited:

chelseagrinder

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Added monies

When I read $75,000 is added I in no way considered fifteen thousand being taken out to pay for past winners. Therefore this is a $60,000 added tournament PERIOD.

In the past Barry has stated his personal commitment to this practice of paying out of his pocket, those past winners.

post of the day!!:thumbup:

My comment was not to anyone specifictly. Barry has thrown 75,000 total into the pot.

His paid 15 entries and 113 more is 128,000 dollars and with his 60,000 added money makes a total of a 188,000 dollar prize fund.

If any of his paid players don't show he is not taking his money back, he is going to leave it in the prize fund and any alternates that get in will pay their $1,000 and that will go into the prize fund.

Efren is not showing up so the prize fund will be 189,000 now because the first alternate is in. Should be a few more.

to be a barry nuthugger is a little sad.....not paying players is never going to be accepted in the eyes of the pool world :angry:

Johnnyt

Burn all jump cues
Silver Member
It seems to me all the WPA rules go out the window if you pay what they ask. Half (at least) of those rules can be just crossed out at any time. Start with the tables. No refs, and on and on. Johnnyt

stevelomako

Cash. I uses cash beech.
Silver Member
to be a barry nuthugger is a little sad.....not paying players is never going to be accepted in the eyes of the pool world :angry:

Lol. Find anything on here that I ever posted before this that would ever ever give you that conclusion. Lol

I guess this is why all those books "--------- for dummy's" are such good sellers.

So helpless to explain to the hopeless.

The money is all there...there might be even more money in the prize fund...the WPA is making concessions to have this still be a world event...there are plenty of class individuals involved with Barry...the players have responded tremendously..........

Steve shakes his head and goes on with his life :cool:

pro9dg

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think that this is still not set for a fairy tale ending yet. We can presume that 113 of the 128 players will pay their thousand dollars each and with a waiting list it seems plausible that this figure could easily rise to 120 paid players.
This would create a revenue of $120,000 and we have no reason to doubt that this will end up in the account that PF has relating to US Open entry money.
Now, in order to be classified and confirmed as a (non World title) second tier event there must be a sum of $75,000 which must be added to the provisional $120,000 calculated. This means that the gross prize fund that is available is now $195,000.

But according to the original publicity on the event they are only committed to pay out $188,000. But the whereabouts of the $75,000 still is not crystal clear It may have been raised but is it actually completely under the control of Pat. The cost of administrating the event is substantial . WHERE DO THE FUNDS FOR THAT COME FROM? The big financial picture is still fuzzy. I am concerned because I have funded entry fees into this event. Yet I don't feel confident that all is well. Some of this derives from the fact that if there is surplus entry money due to ex winners not taking up their free spot and someone from the waiting list gets in. We have now been told that this surplus will be added to the prize fund. I would be more at ease if it went in to the event cost fund making it a business decision. But the die is cast now and we must wait and hope that my concerns are groundless. But......

Jaden

"no buds chill"
Silver Member
No it would still qualify as tier 2...

Technically the way the "added money" and the "free entry for past champions" is designated, this event is a Category 3 event, not a Category 2 event. We will see how the WPA designates it when all the dust settles. This is clear reading the requirements below.

From the WPA website http://www.wpa-pool.com/web/tournament_sanctioning_catalogue

Category C.

Ranking events have three categories, 1, 2 & 3.

Category 1 – World Championships, minimum 32 players and minimum added prize money is $100,000

Category 2 – Events with a minimum of 32 players and offering $75,000 or more in added prize money

Category 3 – Events with a minimum of 32 players and offering between $50,000 and $75,000 of added prize money

It would be 75k added with at least 32 paid entrants and however many unpaid entrants... so it would still qualify as tier 2 whether or not the additional monies for the free entrants go in or not..

It's kinda like the moron who cops find a dime bag on and he doesn't want them to think he smokes dope so instead of saying "it's for personal use" he says "it's not for personal use, I plan on selling it" and he gets busted for possession with intent instead of a misdemeanor possession for personal use.

Jaden