US Open 9-ball updates thread..

buckshotshoey

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'd be fine with that. There's been enough compromise.

Allow league corporations to dominate pool...now a foreign broadcast company and wonder why pool goes nowhere in this country.
There you go folks. You heard too?
SBC wold rather see the complete death of pool then see someone like me enjoy a night of pool league. And I assure you.... that would happen.

benjaminwah

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
A couple of times I thought Carlo gave up, saw him being frustrated with the safeties. What an amazing comeback. That combo he blasted in the corner, 6-8? Damn he hit that hard, incredible.

SBC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
There you go folks. You heard too?
SBC wold rather see the complete death of pool then see someone like me enjoy a night of pool league. And I assure you.... that would happen.
The question is why the US doesn't produce many top players....the reason is grown men playing on Fisher price tables thinking they are players.

Smutzc

If I were a voting member it would de hard to argue. Cheers,
I am eating my words, I said I would bet my life savings on Yapp… I really honestly did not see Oí or Biado coming to even close to beating Yapp. If it was a race to 20 I think Yapp would have won no problem. But to put Biado in the hall of fame, I think he has to stick around for at least 5-8 years and win multiple titles to earn that. I have no doubt Biado will be a competitor for years to come but with the young natural talent coming up it will be hard to stay relevant. Congrats Biado you played like a true champion !

buckshotshoey

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The question is why the US doesn't produce many top players....the reason is grown men playing on Fisher price tables thinking they are players.
9 foot tables will NEVER be the norm again. Get over it. Look, I dont like it any better than you do... I would love to play on 9 foot tables. But wish in one hand... shit in the other. Which one fills first?

Back to subject, Mr Yapp has a new fan. I love watching that kid play. I studied his pre shot routine, his stance, his stroke and delivery. His cue ball control is outstanding. I would also like to meet his teacher.

one stroke

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I never called them dead money but if you think a snooker player will win the UK Pool Open you can bet what you like. I will give you all of them and I will bet on only the poolplayers. You can name the bet!
Of course you are right zero chance, but sub zero chance that a pool player wins a ranked Snooker event , Alex and Corey both tried hard to just qualify for a ranking event and fell flat on their face ,I can't see any reason why a good Snooker player if not paid to play and zero doubt Trump was would play

realkingcobra

Silver Member
We're pretty mercenary. There's just no money in pool in America.
What you really mean is there's no welfare for American pool players, yet we have the highest payout events here. It takes effort to be a top Professional, not just expectation because you're better than those you gamble with.

Poolplaya9

Tellin' it like it is...
Silver Member
9 foot tables will NEVER be the norm again. Get over it. Look, I dont like it any better than you do... I would love to play on 9 foot tables. But wish in one hand... shit in the other. Which one fills first?
Not only that, but we also have to realize that a big part of it is just that that is what we are used to. Ten foot tables apparently used to be the standard table size. I can guarantee that during the transition time all you were hearing was "nine foot tables aren't real tables, those are kiddie toys, real men play on ten foot tables, nine foot tables are going to ruin the game, what a joke those tiny easy nine foot tables are..." until nine foot became the new norm and the ten foot guys died out, and so it will continue. Now here we are with nine foot table guys saying the same about eight foot tables because nine foot was the standard they grew up on and were used to, even though those same nine foot guys were a complete joke to some previous generation.

skogstokig

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Not only that, but we also have to realize that a big part of it is just that that is what we are used to. Ten foot tables apparently used to be the standard table size. I can guarantee that during the transition time all you were hearing was "nine foot tables aren't real tables, those are kiddie toys, real men play on ten foot tables, nine foot tables are going to ruin the game, what a joke those tiny easy nine foot tables are..." until nine foot became the new norm and the ten foot guys died out, and so it will continue. Now here we are with nine foot table guys saying the same about eight foot tables because nine foot was the standard they grew up on and were used to, even though those same nine foot guys were a complete joke to some previous generation.

these guys are way ahead

Attachments

• Carrom.jpg
    Carrom.jpg
    114.8 KB · Views: 100

middleofnowhere

Registered
I never called them dead money but if you think a snooker player will win the UK Pool Open you can bet what you like. I will give you all of them and I will bet on only the poolplayers. You can name the bet!

While your annology does make sense. The smaller tables are usually refered to as "Bar tables". Often tables of poor quality just set up in bars as something to do while drinking.

For the longest time that was the case. I hustled bars and the equipment you would run into was unbelievable. Rarely did they even have a light directly over the tables.

The tables just occupied some dead space in the bar often not even with enough room to play. At some point the bar leagues were developed and the pool tables came out of the dark corners and achieved a place of prominence in the bars.

Players began to care about the game again, buying their own cues and actually practicing. The tables themselves got better. They were no longer just a piece on vending equipment like the jukebox or cigarette machines.

We don't need to go through the entire evolution but here we are today. Without those "Bar tables", I doubt pool would still exist to any degree at all.

I can only speak for from the 60s through today from what I personally experienced. I remember bowling alleys with 30 table pool rooms filled with players. I also remember those same bowling alleys turning those rooms into meeting rooms and banquet rooms practically giving the tables away.

How did that happen? How did pool go from what it was to almost extinction. I honestly don't know. It seemed to happen right before our eyes. I bought one of the oldest pool rooms around for little more then the value of the equipment. I basically saved it and it is still open today. I'm a little proud of that.

There seems to be some underlying theme that the smaller tables breed lesser players. I don't think that is true at all. What it does do is introduces new players to the game. I bet many on here the first time they played pool was on a small home table or bar table.

Pool is fun and it doesn't take much to get the bug. It does however take exposure. An awareness of the game and the opportunity to play it.

An old mans ramblings.

realkingcobra

Silver Member
The 9ft was decided on because in the norther states, the 10ft was the common table size, while in the south the 8ft was the most common size table. It was decided that there should only be one size table to be the regulation size, so the 9ft was the size accepted.