US Open 9-ball updates thread..

JusticeNJ

Four Points/Steel Joints
Silver Member
Ruiz is a top notch player though. He doesn't have to fold, ever.
Totally agreed. Shane came with a 5 pack and then couldn’t get back in the game, and he had chances. Not a knock on FSR at all. Very impressive and he’s improvement over the years is among the highest among many.

skip100

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Pretty sorry showing from the US contingent, especially considering the Ko family and Wu didn't show up.

Jaden

"no buds chill"
Silver Member
I've been making the point for years that America now sucks at pool. Every time I say it I get dumped on and with every world class tournament I'm proven right again. We've got SVB and nobody. I would have only been worse if Taiwan and China were here.
That would be because you're WRONG maybe???? Americans include most of the best Euros... Most of the best Euros and some flips live here and play here the MAJORITY of the time Shaw, Appleton, etc...

The nationality of the player does not mean that they are playing FROM that country. Many of the players were originally listed as Americans because they live here and it had to be corrected. Hell, players that have lived most, if not all of their lives here often list a different nationality when competing over seas.

Jaden

skip100

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I enjoyed watching Judd Trump play, he did pretty well and his break was decent.
Some theory crafting, what are your thoughts on where his FargoRate will end up after these matches?
My estimate: 720.
Theron 10-11: Implied rating ~710 given Theron's rating of 741
Shaw 1-11: Implied rating ~375 given Shaw's 800+ rating
Patel 9-2: Not in FargoRate. Patel lost to a 732 player 9-0.
Magee 9-0: Also not in FargoRate but lost to a 696-rated player 9-2.

Unless there is more data out there, the Shaw games represent a large chunk of his performance and will hurt his rating a lot. The other three matches would probably peg him in the low 700s as you suggest.

Swighey

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I enjoyed watching Judd Trump play, he did pretty well and his break was decent.
Some theory crafting, what are your thoughts on where his FargoRate will end up after these matches?
My estimate: 720.
I don't know if he has played enough to have a FargoRate - I guess there is a minimum number of matches/racks to be played. I think 720-740 is a reasonable guess. If he does learn from this, plays more often and shakes off the lack of composure when way behind in a winner breaks format, then he could creep up above 750. Hypothetically, if he gave up snooker and dedicated himself to pool then maybe 780-790 but beyond that the proof could only be in the pudding.

Swighey

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Theron 10-11: Implied rating ~710 given Theron's rating of 741
Shaw 1-11: Implied rating ~375 given Shaw's 800+ rating
Patel 9-2: Not in FargoRate. Patel lost to a 732 player 9-0.
Magee 9-0: Also not in FargoRate but lost to a 696-rated player 9-2.

Unless there is more data out there, the Shaw games represent a large chunk of his performance and will hurt his rating a lot. The other three matches would probably peg him in the low 700s as you suggest.
He also beat a 733 player 11-5 in his third match.

Jaden

"no buds chill"
Silver Member
I don't know if he has played enough to have a FargoRate - I guess there is a minimum number of matches/racks to be played. I think 720-740 is a reasonable guess. If he does learn from this, plays more often and shakes off the lack of composure when way behind in a winner breaks format, then he could creep up above 750. Hypothetically, if he gave up snooker and dedicated himself to pool then maybe 780-790 but beyond that the proof could only be in the pudding.
You need 200 games to be considered robust, but you can have a rating after just a few games.

Jaden

telinoz

Registered
You need 200 games to be considered robust, but you can have a rating after just a few games.

Jaden
Yep, they can set FargoRate based on other data and have done in the past.
They only revert to Starter ratings if there is zero data on games played vs anyone.

I had to do this myself in Sydney, for some players I was adding to a new pool series.
Pulled data from various pool events, their rankings and handicaps along with Snooker data.
Ended up creating a calculated FargoRate as I could also compare established Robust players against their rankings / stats in these other events in pool and Snooker.
Submitted to FargoRate, got 150 players setup with decent ratings that have turned out to be accurate.

realkingcobra

Silver Member
If he gave up snooker, he'd better have a wife or GF with a job and a place to live so she can support him while he practices and learns to gamble until he can finally make a 5 figure income!

westcoast

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
And again, all Americans out, SVB in final 16, almost the same year after year. I guess that American belief that gambling makes you a better player don't really compare much to PRACTICE like you WANT to be a PROFESSIONAL POOL PLAYER!
It is true that there aren't very many American players who are competitive against the world's best, but one guy who can bring it sometimes against the best is notably absent from this year's tournament: Bergman