US Open 9-ball updates thread..

geoff_182

It's like looking at the Zapruder film, but SVB's mouth doesn't move when he looks back. Regardless they should give the players the benefit of the doubt in these situations.
I agree that you can't really see his mouth move, but with the way he talks, he doesn't emphasize his words and talks quietly, his mouth wouldn't move much anyway.

In the replay, about half way through the shot clock, as he's walking around the table he looks back at the shot clock. Later on, with about 5 seconds left on the clock, he kinda half-looks back, just before he gets down to shoot. That is where he says it, why else would he look back like that in that situation.

Also, the shot clock operator must have saw this, because they put up the extension on the screen. It's just that the ref didn't hear it. Does that mean he didn't call it? Maybe. Maybe a foul was the right call, but it is pretty obvious where he says it.

(btw, I'm not American, and not a Shane lover, so I'm not biased in that way. I just want to see a fair match)

PoolBum

Ace in the side.
Silver Member
Shane's cueball gets kicked into the corner pocket on the break. Yapp runs out to go up 9-3. I'm afraid the end is nigh for Shane.

Tooler

AhSheetMaDruars
Silver Member
I agree that you can't really see his mouth move, but with the way he talks, he doesn't emphasize his words and talks quietly, his mouth wouldn't move much anyway.

In the replay, about half way through the shot clock, as he's walking around the table he looks back at the shot clock. Later on, with about 5 seconds left on the clock, he kinda half-looks back, just before he gets down to shoot. That is where he says it, why else would he look back like that in that situation.

Also, the shot clock operator must have saw this, because they put up the extension on the screen. It's just that the ref didn't hear it. Does that mean he didn't call it? Maybe. Maybe a foul was the right call, but it is pretty obvious where he says it.

(btw, I'm not American, and not a Shane lover, so I'm not biased in that way. I just want to see a fair match)
It's a stupid rule to begin with. If there is no called time-out, it should be automatic, assuming he still has one.

something_pool

Registered
It's a stupid rule to begin with. If there is no called time-out, it should be automatic, assuming he still has one.
Agreed. Nobody wants to see someone lose a match in a major tournament like this over some nonsense rule technicality. I think we all want to see someone win or lose on their playing.

PoolBum

Ace in the side.
Silver Member

I played it back with the volume on full several times, and I didn't hear an audible extension call from Shane.

JusticeNJ

Four Points/Steel Joints
Silver Member
Lechner into the Quarters
Grabe up 8-6 over Geronimo
Orcullo up 9-6 over He,

Last edited:

geoff_182

?? I didn’t think the extension was put up on screen. If it was that would be definitive.
It was, I remember being slightly confused that I didn't hear the ref say "extension please", but the extension came up on the screen.

The question is, does it matter that the shot clock operation saw/heard him say extension if the ref didn't? Does it matter that he says extension if the ref doesn't hear it?

If a tree falls in the forest, and no one hears it, does it make a sound?