US Open 9-ball updates thread..

skogstokig

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Biado a lock hall of famer even if he died tomorrow
3 World Championship appearances 2 WINS
SVB one World Championship appearance 0 WINS

So if SVB is a lock and he never even won a world title how does Biado not make it with 2 already in his young career?

biado has one world championship title

gambler67

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
biado has one world championship title
So the 2021 US Open isn't considered sanctioned by the BCA? I know he won 13-10 in 2017 in Doha
His best year came in 2017 as he topped the World Games in Wroclaw, Poland and WPA World Nine-Ball Championship in Doha, Qatar.
He also made the final of another major tourney and lost but that one escapes my old mind ;)
I will put his career up against SVB any day of the week with the quality of his wins, the wins SVB has gotten have mostly been watered down wins with fields missing most of the worlds best players.

skogstokig

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
So the 2021 US Open isn't considered sanctioned by the BCA? I know he won 13-10 in 2017 in Doha
His best year came in 2017 as he topped the World Games in Wroclaw, Poland and WPA World Nine-Ball Championship in Doha, Qatar.
He also made the final of another major tourney and lost but that one escapes my old mind ;)
I will put his career up against SVB any day of the week with the quality of his wins, the wins SVB has gotten have mostly been watered down wins with fields missing most of the worlds best players.

US open is not the world championship

buckshotshoey

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You seem to forget pool is an INTERNATIONAL sport, played in over 150 countries worldwide, NOT just in the United States.
No... I haven't forgotten. You've only said it 5000 times... just on THIS thread. But for the time being, I dont give two shits about pool anywhere other the here in the US. We will never be an equil on the international stage until we fix our problems from the ground up.

L.S. Dennis

Biado a lock hall of famer even if he died tomorrow
3 World Championship appearances 2 WINS
SVB one World Championship appearance 0 WINS

So if SVB is a lock and he never even won a world title how does Biado not make it with 2 already in his young career?
The answer is that probably neither one should be in without a few more wins. I think Sigel had more than 100 tournament wins, not that’s what gets you in!

realkingcobra

Silver Member
The answer is that probably neither one should be in without a few more wins. I think Sigel had more than 100 tournament wins, not that’s what gets you in!
And yet ALL THOSE world champions for the most part, have played in the US Open 9B event, most failing to win it, and those who have, will NEVER match SVB record of winning the event 4 out of 5 years, with 3 of those wins coming consecutively, 2012, 2013, 2014 AND 2016, with a previous win as well in 2007.

realkingcobra

Silver Member
I guarantee you, winning ANY world championship title is no where near the accomplishment as winning the US Open 9B event 4 out of 5 years, with those very same WORLD CHAMPIONS playing in the event as well. WHICH world champion today can match Shane's winning record, let alone surpass it???

gambler67

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
And yet ALL THOSE world champions for the most part, have played in the US Open 9B event, most failing to win it, and those who have, will NEVER match SVB record of winning the event 4 out of 5 years, with 3 of those wins coming consecutively, 2012, 2013, 2014 AND 2016, with a previous win as well in 2007.
only in the last few years have some of the best came over from asia and only some of the best europeans have made the trip, the field is stacked now when shane won it was a much easier field go back and look at the entries if you need to

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
only in the last few years have some of the best came over from asia and only some of the best europeans have made the trip, the field is stacked now when shane won it was a much easier field go back and look at the entries if you need to
I guess all the great Filipino players don't count. Efren, Orcollo, Parica, Luat, Alex, Bustamante, Manolo, Kiamco, Andam, Lining and a few others have all been playing in the Open in the first two decades of this century. I was at many (if not all) of those Opens won by Shane and he played nothing but champions the last 2-3 days!

Last edited:

JusticeNJ

Four Points/Steel Joints
Silver Member
I guess all the great Filipino players don't count. Efren, Parica, Luat, Alex, Bustamante, Manolo, Kiamco, Andam, Lining and a few others have all been playing in the Open in the first two decades of this century. I was at many (if not all) of those Opens won by Shane and he played nothing but champions the last 2-3 days!
Not to mention all of his wins were against Asians. Alcano, Dennis twice, Lee Van, and Chang lol!

realkingcobra

Silver Member
So Dennis Orcollo is easy? He took 2nd to 2 of Shane's wins!

AtLarge

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
[from a 2016 post]

Here, in one place, are Shane Van Boening's paths to victory for each of his U.S. Open 9-Ball titles:

1. Sylver Ochoa 11-5
2. Chad Pike 11-1
3. Sparky Ferrell 11-8
4. Marcus Chamat 11-3
5. Ronnie Wiseman 11-8
6. Corey Deuel 11-8
7. Ronnie Alcano 11-4
8. Tomoko Mekari 11-9
9. Ronnie Alcano 13-10

2007 total -- 101-56 (winning percentage 64%)

1. Bye
2. Adam Smith 11-1
3. Tom Karabatsos 11-2
4. Nick Van Den Berg 11-4
5. Chris Melling 11-4
6. Ronnie Alcano 11-10
7. Jose Parica 11-5
8. Alex Pagulayan 11-5
9. Dennis Orcollo 13-7

2012 total -- 90-38 (70%)

1. Bye
2. Ronny Oldervik 11-6
3. Omar Al Shaheen 11-5
4. Fabio Petroni 11-3
5. Danny Mastermaker 11-5
6. Jeremy Sossei 11-7
7. Chris Melling 11-6
8. Jayson Shaw 11-5
9. Lee Vann Corteza 13-10

2013 total -- 90-47 (66%)

1. Bye
2. Robb Saez 11-10
3. Earl Strickland 11-7
4. Do Hoang Quan 11-10
5. Karl Boyes 11-6
6. Dennis Orcollo 11-5
7. Nick Ekonomopoulos 11-4
8. Dennis Orcollo 13-10

2014 total -- 79-52 (60%)

1. Bye
2. Frankie Hernandez 11-7
3. John Morra 11-10
4. Chang, Jung-Lin 4-11
5. Thorsten Hohmann 11-6
6. Corey Deuel 11-4
7. Daryl Peach 11-7
8. Mike Dechaine 11-6
9. Brandon Shuff 11-4
10. Alex Pagulayan 11-9
11. Jeremy Jones 11-5
12. Dennis Orcollo 11-5
13. Jayson Shaw 11-9
14. Chang, Jung-Lin 13-9

2016 total -- 138-92 (60%)

Total for 5 winning years -- 498-285 (64%)

SlateMan

Registered
In order to understand that, you'd first need to understand who the advertisers are. Exposure is their ROI, the more the exposure the more they're willing to spend on advertising. Think Geico Insurance would be interested in spending 2 and a 1/2 minutes worth of advertising dollars on major pool tournaments if they got a YEAR of advertising included for their ROI.??
I know the answer to that question, as I've spoke to their head of advertising!

Based on the methodology used in 2019 — which doubles the reported statutory expense to reflect a 50% quota share reinsurance agreement established in 2014 between GEICO and National Indemnity Co., another Berkshire subsidiary — GEICO spent an estimated $2.26 billion on advertising in 2020, making it a top spender.Jun 24, 2021

According to a Palm Beach Post report, those 30 seconds cost GEICO a whopping $4.5 million – or $150,000 per second. In general, insurance companies spend so much, they outstrip every other American industry by nearly 8%.Jun 23, 2015

Okay. Great. You have market statistics about how much they spend. However, your first paragraph is worded weird. ROI is not a measure of how many minutes of commercials they get for their money. Instead it is a measure of the current cash outflows less the present value of the future cash inflows. So they then use the ROI to determine where the BEST place to spend money for advertising. They can advertise on pool videos watched by hundreds of thousands or they can spend the same money to advertise on a kids Youtube channel opening Disney toys and they are guaranteed a single spot that will hit 17 million viewers.

I wish you well. I really do. The sport needs something.

realkingcobra

Silver Member
Okay. Great. You have market statistics about how much they spend. However, your first paragraph is worded weird. ROI is not a measure of how many minutes of commercials they get for their money. Instead it is a measure of the current cash outflows less the present value of the future cash inflows. So they then use the ROI to determine where the BEST place to spend money for advertising. They can advertise on pool videos watched by hundreds of thousands or they can spend the same money to advertise on a kids Youtube channel opening Disney toys and they are guaranteed a single spot that will hit 17 million viewers.

Now when you say "they", who exactly are you referring to, since you seem to know so much about advertising???

realkingcobra

Silver Member

Thats the key you're missing, "who" the advertiser's are makes a huge difference! Not all advertiser's fit, got it?

realkingcobra

Silver Member

Are you as good at telling me what I CAN do, as you are at telling me what I CAN'T do?

stevelomako

Love you all!
Silver Member
😂 quoting the guy 3 times in a row and getting more agitated each reply 😂🤣🤣

I think you should end each reply with…Bitch!

20 people in the world might…repeat…might…make money playing tournaments.

There’s hundreds of guys making a “living” gambling at pool…hundreds of guys.

Spend a little bit for odds on your money and get a tin cup or a funky wooden plaque.

Or bet real cash and really make something.

JazzyJeff87

AzB Plutonium Member
Silver Member
Top down and bottom up both are important. On oil sheik may have the funds to revitalize both in America but if you could magically fix just one part of the equation it should definitely be the top. Money to pro players.

That is needed before you try building up the new generation otherwise there’s no incentive. If you had guys making big casish hitting balls with a stick the rest would likely work itself out organically.