US Open stream...............

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
From a streaming spectator standpoint this has been probably my favorite tournament ever. I love how they stack the matches up so there's almost no time between matches on the tv table when one finishes. And I'm a big fan of Karl Boyes commentary. Wych's commentary is a bit tired (I feel like I've heard all of his anecdotes and isms 100 times) and I was disappointed when he and his co-commentator kept saying repeatedly how big of an upset it was for Siming to be beating Mitch (like, how do not know who this lady is if you're a pool aficionado). Other than that, pure aces in every aspect. Very exciting format, insane field, I'm having a blast watching this event. And that's even with all my horses going to the losers side!

Boyes' commentary is fine, but I'd not call it outstanding. I'm with you on Wych, of whom I've always been a big fan. His commentary has dropped a bit in quality, not only for its lack of originality, but his extreme overanlaysis of the break can be pretty hard to listen to. Yes, the break is crucial, but how many times do we need to hear "he'll probably break the next one form the other side of the table" or " I wonder if he'll break from somewhere else if this break doesn't work out" or "he's taking some speed off the break, just as Joe Schmo did against John Q Public last night." Once the next shot is being played, it's time to lose the discussion about the break and focus on the rack.

As for unprepared commentators, I've complained about this for years. Siming Chen wins two races to 21 against Donny Mills, but a win over Ellerman would be a big upset. Her Fargo is much higher than Ellerman's, too. The commentators need to either follow the pool scene or talk to people who do so they don't make ignorant comments. I am reminded of when Kevin Trudeau commentated the final of an IPT event in which Sigel played Efren. Listening to Trudeau, you'd have thought that Efren's win was an upset of epic proportion. Ignorance is not always bliss!

Nostroke

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I half felt that the commentators knew the real deal w Ellerman/Chen but were trying to make a 'Newsworthy Event' out of it for the ignorant masses.

JAM

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It would be nice to hear an American commentator. I mean, after all, this is the US Open. :)

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
... Her Fargo is much higher than Ellerman's, too. ...
The guy next to me in the arena watching that match bet on Ellerman with the guy next to him. I got my smarty-phone out and looked up the fair match and told him, "Should be a spot of 2 games on the wire." He looked pleased. "No, she should give him the spot." That's when she was already 3 ahead.

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
Boyes' commentary is fine, but I'd not call it outstanding. I'm with you on Wych, of whom I've always been a big fan. His commentary has dropped a bit in quality, not only for its lack of originality, but his extreme overanlaysis of the break can be pretty hard to listen to. Yes, the break is crucial, but how many times do we need to hear "he'll probably break the next one form the other side of the table" or " I wonder if he'll break from somewhere else if this break doesn't work out" or "he's taking some speed off the break, just as Joe Schmo did against John Q Public last night." Once the next shot is being played, it's time to lose the discussion about the break and focus on the rack.

As for unprepared commentators, I've complained about this for years. Siming Chen wins two races to 21 against Donny Mills, but a win over Ellerman would be a big upset. Her Fargo is much higher than Ellerman's, too. The commentators need to either follow the pool scene or talk to people who do so they don't make ignorant comments. I am reminded of when Kevin Trudeau commentated the final of an IPT event in which Sigel played Efren. Listening to Trudeau, you'd have thought that Efren's win was an upset of epic proportion. Ignorance is not always bliss!

Overall I like the commentary and wish I had been a part of it. I think Karl is a good addition to the team and Ted has enough pool knowledge and background to be a good co-com. Jimmy is Jimmy and makes the show flow imo. My only criticism might be that sometimes there is too much non stop talk when we could use a breather just to watch the match. I always felt like there were times that it was best to remain silent and let the guy shoot a couple of balls. Oftentimes the best commentary is a quick phrase of just a few words. Better to make your point in a few words rather than a long drawn out explanation.

Last edited:

spartan

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Day 3- Last 64

After 2 days, down to last 64 (16 on winners side and 48 on losers side)
Perhaps the biggest fastest massacre in individual sports history - 196 eliminated in just 2 days. 64 of those departing 196 are in the money from $750 to $1000
Remaining last 64 assured of at least $1500 so they at least get their entry fee back
:thumbup:

LIVE
Tyler Styer v Justin Bergman
https://www.facebook.com/usopen9ball/videos/827765777570479/

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
There was a lot of worry about the scheduling with so many players and having to finish in three days. The format went really smoothly. Only six matches started last night after 9PM with the last one starting at 9:28, if I read the times on CueScore correctly. I believe the original schedule said the last start would be at 9:30 PM.

They could have pulled the schedule up a little since they usually had 5 or 6 tables idle at any one time. That would have required the players to show up a little earlier and maybe wait a little more, but it wasn't really necessary. The extra tables were insurance. The tournament desk was in the players' waiting room with coffee and water available. The players showed up at about the announced time and when a pair was ready, they started, or at least that's how the procedure looked to me. There was no, "Fred Jones, you're on the clock!" announcement.

BTW, "coffee and water available" at the hotel probably costs Barry a few thousand dollars. At Mandalay Bay, a catered continental breakfast is about $70/person. I figure coffee/water for 12 hours per day for 250 people for three days would be a major expense item at most tournaments.

Last edited:

Nostroke

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
There was a lot of worry about the scheduling with so many players and having to finish in three days. The format went really smoothly. Only six matches started last night after 9PM with the last one starting at 9:28, if I read the times on CueScore correctly. I believe the original schedule said the last start would be at 9:30 PM.

They could have pulled the schedule up a little since they usually had 5 or 6 tables idle at any one time. That would have required the players to show up a little earlier and maybe wait a little more, but it wasn't really necessary. The extra tables were insurance. The tournament desk was in the players' waiting room with coffee and water available. The players showed up at about the announced time and when a pair was ready, they started, or at least that's how the procedure looked to me. There was no, "Fred Jones, you're on the clock!" announcement.

Trust me, Fred is always late! The only reason you didn't hear that was he didn't enter this year!

Cornerman

Cue Author...Sometimes
Gold Member
Silver Member
Overall I like the commentary and wish I had been a part of it..

Me, too.

And I also agree that during the Siming/Mitch match, the commentators were playing it up for the non-AZB crow. There's always the mute button for those that already know the score.

Freddie <~~~ didn't have to mute

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The guy next to me in the arena watching that match bet on Ellerman with the guy next to him. I got my smarty-phone out and looked up the fair match and told him, "Should be a spot of 2 games on the wire." He looked pleased. "No, she should give him the spot." That's when she was already 3 ahead.
In ME's defense he is now a part-timer. He works as electrician. AFAIK all Siming does is play pool. Taken in that light Mitch's play is really good.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
In ME's defense he is now a part-timer. He works as electrician. AFAIK all Siming does is play pool. Taken in that light Mitch's play is really good.
He played really well to beat David Alcaide (also on the TV table).

BRussell

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
After 2 days, down to last 64 (16 on winners side and 48 on losers side)
Perhaps the biggest fastest massacre in individual sports history - 196 eliminated in just 2 days. 64 of those departing 196 are in the money from $750 to $1000
Remaining last 64 assured of at least $1500 so they at least get their entry fee back
:thumbup:

LIVE
Tyler Styer v Justin Bergman
https://www.facebook.com/usopen9ball/videos/827765777570479/

I can't believe SVB plays Dennis Hatch on the winner's side to get to the final 16.

jasonlaus

Rep for Smorg
Silver Member
Congrats to Corey Deuel for taking that beating and sitting in his chair like a PROFESSIONAL instead of being all slumped over like many americans.
Jason

Tin Man

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I find it odd so many players are so slow to come around on Siming. Mitch Ellerman is a great player, but she is in a totally different class. Her FargoRate is about the same as Skyler's, Alcaide's, or Appleton's. I doubt anyone would consider Mitch in the same league as those players.

In addition, I think her game is on the upswing. Most of her experience is in tournaments, so the money matches with Donnie were a challenge for her and she still won. She has won so much on the WPBA that she has supreme confidence in her ability to get the job done in the clutch, and she doesn't seem to be intimidated by her opposition. She was breaking very effectively yesterday, ran a lot of racks off her break. She isn't at the level of Shane or Shaw, and she's still a pip below Feijen and Kaci, but she fits in nicely with the 30 or so players from Immonen to Melling to Grabe to Deuel to Woodward. Fargorate is no joke.

For some reason many still think of her as a player in the range of Justin Hall, like she plays a pretty game but when a tough gambler with a power game like Ruslan puts heat on her she'll break down. Well, I keep betting on Siming and so far I haven't booked a loser, so let's see how long I can keep getting it in with the best of it. I guess people still argue that the world is flat so i shouldn't be surprised.