Video: Cowboy Jimmy Moore aiming system?

BC21

https://www.playpoolbetter.com
Gold Member
Silver Member
Discussion starts at 24:10. Enjoy!

https://youtu.be/u8KsVm9ePlk

That's a great discussion on aiming. I do, however, disagree with John Schmidt when he says aiming systems are no good, only good for people that are trying to sell DVDs or books. For some systems I certainly agree. But overall he is just wrong about the usefulness and effectiveness of some systems. I know for a fact that the fractional system in Poolology is helping many players develop a feel for pocketing balls that would otherwise take hundreds of hours of old school trial and error, the HAMB method John Schmidt refers to.

Of course stroke delivery is most important. But let's say you take a beginning player and teach nothing but the stroke and stance until it is very solid and consistent. Do this with straight in shots only, absolutely no cut shots, until a good stroke is developed. Now have the player shoot various cut shots using an estimated ghostball or contact point method. He won't be magically pocketing balls, regardless of a good developed stroke. He will have to hit a lot of cut shots, hours upon hours upon days before his brain develops a good eye or feel for pocketing cut shots. You already know he can send the cb to exactly where he intends to send it, as this was incorporated in his stroke development. Now he must develop a good sense of cb-ob relationships. That is where John Schmidt and many other old school thinkers mistakenly believe that there's only one road to accomplish this, the good ol "Hit a Million Balls" until you're good at it approach. For most aiming methods/systems this is true. But if the player is provided with an aim line, as straightforward as saying "here, aim at this spot" on every shot, he'll develop great skill in far less time than the traditional trial and error HAMB method.

Last edited:

justcueit

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
That's a great discussion on aiming. I do, however, disagree with John Schmidt when he says aiming systems are no good, only good for people that are trying to sell DVDs or books. For some systems I certainly agree. But overall he is just wrong about the usefulness and effectiveness of some systems. I know for a fact that the fractional system in Poolology is helping many players develop a feel for pocketing balls that would otherwise take hundreds of hours of old school trial and error, the HAMB method John Schmidt refers to.

Of course stroke delivery is most important. But let's say you take a beginning player and teach nothing but the stroke and stance until it is very solid and consistent. Do this with straight in shots only, absolutely no cut shots, until a good stroke is developed. Now have the player shoot various cut shots using an estimated ghostball or contact point method. He won't be magically pocketing balls, regardless of a good developed stroke. He will have to hit a lot of cut shots, hours upon hours upon days before his brain develops a good eye or feel for pocketing cut shots. You already know he can send the cb to exactly where he intends to send it, as this was incorporated in his stroke development. Now he must develop a good sense of cb-ob relationships. That is where John Schmidt and many other old school thinkers mistakenly believe that there's only one road to accomplish this, the good ol "Hit a Million Balls" until you're good at it approach. For most aiming methods/systems this is true. But if the player is provided with an aim line, as straightforward as saying "here, aim at this spot" on every shot, he'll develop great skill in far less time than the traditional trial and error HAMB method.

Just for the record, John Schmidt has had a change of mind about aiming systems, particularly with Stan’s CTE PRO ONE.
John made an open apology to Stan on Facebook concerning his negative comments about CTE PRO ONE. A friend of John’s, Brian W., clued John in about CTE.
Since then, John has experimented with CTE and communicated with Stan that it indeed works.
John is thirsty for more details and has communicated to Stan that he wants further (personal) instruction.
I am happy to report that John does have a very open mind.

Yes, Stan directed me with the content in this post.

Connie Shuffett

BC21

Gold Member
Silver Member
Just for the record, John Schmidt has had a change of mind about aiming systems, particularly with Stan’s CTE PRO ONE.
John made an open apology to Stan on Facebook concerning his negative comments about CTE PRO ONE. A friend of John’s, Brian W., clued John in about CTE.
Since then, John has experimented with CTE and communicated with Stan that it indeed works.
John is thirsty for more details and has communicated to Stan that he wants further (personal) instruction.

Connie Shuffett

That's good to hear. My primary point was the fact that many great players who became consistent shot makers by way of the old "hit a million balls" method, well...they tend to believe that's the only way to become a great player/shot maker. And that simply isn't true. There are more effective and efficient ways to develop a great feel/skill for pocketing balls, for just recognizing shots and automatically knowing where the cb needs to be. This doesn't apply to Pro1, I realize that, because it's not that type of a system. But glad to hear John has evolved some since 2012 when this video was posted on YouTube.

Dan White

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Connie Shuffett

John changes his mind about CTE and then sets a new high run record of 626...coincidence? :smile:

Somebody had to say it.

justcueit

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
John changes his mind about CTE and then sets a new high run record of 626...coincidence? :smile:

Somebody had to say it.

No one has stated that in any kind of way. John has been communicating with Stan about learning CTE. Some limited instruction has occurred, but Stan told John on more than one occasion to break the 526 first.

John has said that he believes that he uses CTE naturally.

Concerning a record. John has recently made several attempts over a number of days to break a Johan shot making world record. Skylar W. has the record. Although John did not break the record, he got extremely close to breaking it using CTE. Stan has communication to show this.

At Stan’s direction,
Connie Shuffett

BC21

Gold Member
Silver Member

Somebody had to say it.

The time frame is too ambiguous to conclude anything other than the fact that at some point within the last 7.5 years John Schmidt retracted the comments he made in this 2012 video. And sometime within this same 7+ year span of time he has "experimented" with pro1, as most of us have. And he has also "communicated" with Stan.

It's another great example of pro1 hype surrounding an already fabulous player. My point is, John Schmidt could start pivoting and sweeping on every shot from here on out and there would be no way of determining whether or not his ball pocketing skills improve, not even in the slightest measure. The man sets a world record and then decides he needs an aiming system, when he was so adamantly opposed to aiming systems prior to setting the record...well, it makes no sense.

Last edited:

Dan White

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
No one has stated that in any kind of way. John has been communicating with Stan about learning CTE. Some limited instruction has occurred, but Stan told John on more than one occasion to break the 526 first.

John has said that he believes that he uses CTE naturally.

Concerning a record. John has recently made several attempts over a number of days to break a Johan shot making world record. Skylar W. has the record. Although John did not break the record, he got extremely close to breaking it using CTE. Stan has communication to show this.

At Stan’s direction,
Connie Shuffett

"Connie" would you do us a favor and ask "Stan" why all the cloak and dagger secrecy surrounding his book? People have been saying for nearly 2 years that the publisher has it and it is in the final stages. Just crossing t's and dotting i's and the like. Clearly, this can not be true. Maybe you can ask Stan if he would clear up why the book hasn't been published.

My understanding is that he only shares this info with the inner circle. I know that he doesn't want to share this information with the haters (aka physicists and engineers and other "logical thinkers") but Stan has many supporters on AZ who really would like to know the truth about the truth series and book.

Regards,

cookie man

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Somebody had to say it.

"Connie" would you do us a favor and ask "Stan" why all the cloak and dagger secrecy surrounding his book? People have been saying for nearly 2 years that the publisher has it and it is in the final stages. Just crossing t's and dotting i's and the like. Clearly, this can not be true. Maybe you can ask Stan if he would clear up why the book hasn't been published.

My understanding is that he only shares this info with the inner circle. I know that he doesn't want to share this information with the haters (aka physicists and engineers and other "logical thinkers") but Stan has many supporters on AZ who really would like to know the truth about the truth series and book.

Regards,

Makes a di** comment then wants answers.
We all know why you are interested in the book, to go through it line by line to find a comma out of place so you can make a video about it that no one will care about. Then you will just continue to whine on Az like a little baby.

cookie man

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
That's good to hear. My primary point was the fact that many great players who became consistent shot makers by way of the old "hit a million balls" method, well...they tend to believe that's the only way to become a great player/shot maker. And that simply isn't true. There are more effective and efficient ways to develop a great feel/skill for pocketing balls, for just recognizing shots and automatically knowing where the cb needs to be. This doesn't apply to Pro1, I realize that, because it's not that type of a system. But glad to hear John has evolved some since 2012 when this video was posted on YouTube.

Are you trying to say Pro1 players can't recognize shots and automatically know where the cb needs to be?

Dan White

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Are you trying to say Pro1 players can't recognize shots and automatically know where the cb needs to be?

Maybe he is saying that Pro1 teaches that you don't need to develop a feel for the cb/ob/pocket relationship. You don't need to know anything about the pocket for Pro1. Isn't that the point of the curtain demonstrations?

cookie man

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Maybe he is saying that Pro1 teaches that you don't need to develop a feel for the cb/ob/pocket relationship. You don't need to know anything about the pocket for Pro1. Isn't that the point of the curtain demonstrations?

Wasn't asking you. My question was directed to a sensible poster.

justcueit

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Regards,

Stan said, “Dan White and the “logical thinkers” can jam it.

Those who really do want to know and get involved can see it on FB or just wait and it’ll be coming out when Stan is damn good and ready.

Your first paragraph was nice and then you decided to be a dick in your second paragraph.

Connie Shuffett

Dan White

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Stan said, “Dan White and the “logical thinkers” can jam it.

Those who really do want to know and get involved can see it on FB or just wait and it’ll be coming out when Stan is damn good and ready.

Your first paragraph was nice and then you decided to be a dick in your second paragraph.

Connie Shuffett

Connie, maybe you aren't privy to the years of back and forth, but I haven't said anything that Stan hasn't said himself. I've always said if the book really shows how CTE can work the way Stan describes it then I'll buy 100 copies and give them out. Also, why can't Stan simply post his own messages?

Last edited:

Dan White

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Wasn't asking you. My question was directed to a sensible poster.

You mean Brian? The guy you just said this to:

"Might not make any sense to you, but to others the quest for pool knowledge is never ending."

So you just accused Brian of not being sensible and then called him sensible when accusing me of not being sensible? lol

I can't keep up!

cookie man

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You mean Brian? The guy you just said this to:

"Might not make any sense to you, but to others the quest for pool knowledge is never ending."

So you just accused Brian of not being sensible and then called him sensible when accusing me of not being sensible? lol

I can't keep up!

You never could keep up, no surprise there.

cookie man

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Connie, maybe you aren't privy to the years of back and forth, but I haven't said anything that Stan hasn't said himself. I've always said if the book really shows how CTE can work the way Stan describes it then I'll buy 100 copies and give them out. Also, why can't Stan simply post his own messages?

I'll bet right now that the book will show CTE the way Stan describes it, but you will never understand it or even admit it.