Wasted chalk?

Maniac

2manyQ's
Silver Member
Is there anything that can be done with the chalk after being used to this point (see pic). Seems like there is at least 1/3 of the block left and seems wasted.

View attachment 608102
I'm done with my chalk wa-a-a-a-a-ay before that. When it wears down about halfway I toss it in a ziplock bag. When the bag gets full I take it down to my home bar and put the chalk in the bowl with all the other used chalk.

jjspelman

Chalk from the edges of the chalk instead of the middle. Use the high points of the chalk as they develop. You'll get chalk on the tip more consistently.

Tear the paper back slowly as the chalk is used up.
That's what I try to do, but always end up with that cavern in the middle. lol

jjspelman

The paper on that chalk should have been trimmed a long time ago. I sometimes wrap some tape around it to keep the wrapper on and to mark the chalk as mine.

If the paper is exposed, it takes chalk off your tip.
I end up with chalk all over my left hand as well. Messy stuff.

Bavafongoul

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It’s all of you grinders that cause the felt to get so dirty and cheap chalk brands flake a lot.
Even if you don’t apply chalk with the shaft over the table, grinding creates a thick layer on
the tip. It comes off on the first stroke and thereafter making the cloth needlessly more dirty.

It is the incorrect way to apply chalk. Dr. Dave Alciatore has already expounded the subject of
chalk that includes comparing different brands & most of all, proper application to your cue tip.
Guess what? Grinding, twisting, coring the chalk is not the correct way to apply chalk. Go read.

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm done with my chalk wa-a-a-a-a-ay before that. When it wears down about halfway I toss it in a ziplock bag. When the bag gets full I take it down to my home bar and put the chalk in the bowl with all the other used chalk.
Honestly, you can add 1 part pineapple juice to 10 parts water. Seal the jar up and put it outside in the shade for like a hundred days. Then shake it and let it sit for 24 hours.
That was Efren's favorite drink when he was sleeping under pool tables

boogieman

It don't mean a thing if it ain't got that ping.
Grinding, twisting, coring the chalk is not the correct way to apply chalk. Go read.
I've read. I brushed for years. I then noticed the people who were destroying me at the table gave the chalk little attention. They applied it from their palm every shot with a half rocking, half grinding motion without ever looking at the chalk/tip. Yes, it creates a mess. I clean my table, my buddy cleans his table, the place I play $5 tournaments cleans their table. The thing is, the mess is minute compared to the the effects of losing concentration even for an instant while playing. I'll happily half rock grind (not over the table, I'm not a barbarian) rather than risk a tiny bit of distraction and loss of visual focus. Bonus points if my chalking causes my opponent to lose concentration. If he/she gets a little blue on their hand and can't handle it, maybe they should get their own table and dwell in the basement only. I learned long ago to not worry about how my opponent chalks, strokes, stands, etc. Much better to focus on the table layout than be distracted by something that has no effect on your personal performance. Unless you're super human or on the spectrum you only have a finite amount of focus, best to keep it reserved for things you can actually control.

In all seriousness I get what your saying and I get why you brush instead of grind but I'm not going to mentally sabotage myself worrying about how I apply chalk in a match, as long as it gets applied every shot.

Watch SVB, a dude who none of us here can match. He grinds in game, not like he's starting a fire, but a chalk in the palm, half twist rocking motion. This is how I do it. The act of chalking shouldn't interfere with your visuals. The only way you're getting an even coat with brushing is to look at the tip. If you know how to properly "grind," more of a rocking motion, you don't have to take your eyes off the good stuff. Ask yourself why all these pros are so dumb to not even know how to properly chalk? Maybe the whole "correct" way to chalk isn't as important to your game as we've been led to believe. I remember reading it in old pool books, I remember fats telling us he can spot someone he can beat by watching them chalk. I'd take SVB over fats in an even match any day.

I'm generally frugal in life but I'm not risking an "L" over a 25 cent cube of chalk.

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
I remember playing in poolrooms/bowling alleys where they had cut off the top half of old pieces of chalk, so now you had a good cutdown version of the original. They were still good for days and weeks more!

Lawnboy77

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
01ced10d271c827868a483f348262d42.jpg

Ok, I’m a grinder as well. Decided to take couple out of the scrap bin and trim back paper and save a few pennies. I’ll work on brushing instead of grinding.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
At one of my regular poolrooms there was a customer/fetishist who took the whole box of half-used chalk cubes off the counter, out to the sidewalk in front, and rubbed all of them down on the concrete until they were "like new" again (but half as tall). The owner didn't mind hosing down the sidewalk afterwards...

pj
chgo

Lawnboy77

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
At one of my regular poolrooms there was a customer/fetishist who took the whole box of half-used chalk cubes off the counter, out to the sidewalk in front, and rubbed all of them down on the concrete until they were "like new" again (but half as tall). The owner didn't mind hosing down the sidewalk afterwards...

pj
chgo
Reminds me of the neighborhood kids. I noticed they have chalk pencils now and they are doing artwork on the sidewalks and driveways with them. It’s pretty cool with all the colors and of course it washes off easily.

tim913

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Very simple. Just pretend that you accidentally knock it off the table and you’ll never see it again

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
Reminds me of the neighborhood kids. I noticed they have chalk pencils now and they are doing artwork on the sidewalks and driveways with them. It’s pretty cool with all the colors and of course it washes off easily.
In my neighborhood we have some kids (maybe parents?) writing "Repent!" on all the sidewalks. I have a feeling they're talking to me... and I might take their advice if I could remember half the sins I committed today.

pj
chgo

bbb

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
The person I play OnePocket with on a regular basis loves that kind of chalk
I tell him
he really likes blue cardboard 😂😂