Watching mr. 400 trying to break the record

Chip Roberson

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

For me, this whole thing is like a carnival act. John should concentrate on breaking his own record run instead of someone else's.

Running 400 isn't even close to running 500.

John is good but he's no Mosconi.

Kind of reminds me of trying to make five eight on the breaks in a row.

I've done three in a row a few times but never five.

John has already broken his old record. While trying to best the current 526, John ran a 434 a few weeks ago, and had one of the craziest scratches ever to take place. With the balls all busted perfect,,well if a frog had wings moment had arisen , no telling where it could have been,,that run would have gone awhile longer, to say the least.

jason

Unprofessional everything
Silver Member
First, if he tries for mosconi's record then obviously he is ALSO trying to break his own,
and what's wrong with setting your sights high?

John is the first to admit running 100 more balls is "ten times harder" or "a hundred times harder"
...whether you're talking about 100 vs 200, or 400 vs 500. He says this all the time in interviews.

He has NEVER claimed to be better than Mosconi.

I cannot understand why people talk like he's some kind of a**hole for even trying,
like he's arrogant and needs to be taken down a peg.
John has a lot of humility for a guy who plays at his level.

These two records are not even in the same ballpark. You're comparing something
that is basically skill with a dash of luck, vs. something that is basically luck with a dash of skill.

There will always be a "hater" in the crowd. As I've said in one of these threads before, I believe the attempt is an honor to the greatness of Mosconi, not an insult. Keep it up JS, many here are rooting for you.

9andout

Gunnin' for a 3 pack!!
Silver Member
I promise you if Mosconi did it on a 9 foot and john was trying to break it on an 8 foot all of you saying equipment doesn’t matter for the record would be up in arms and refusing to give john credit if he would break it.
Good point.

fan-tum

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
John has already broken his old record. While trying to best the current 526, John ran a 434 a few weeks ago, and had one of the craziest scratches ever to take place. With the balls all busted perfect,,well if a frog had wings moment had arisen , no telling where it could have been,,that run would have gone awhile longer, to say the least.
And that scratch didn't seem to faze him!

jimmyg

Mook! What's a Mook?
Silver Member

For me, this whole thing is like a carnival act. John should concentrate on breaking his own record run instead of someone else's.

Yes, indeed! Wasn't there a weekly TV program a few years ago where people tried to break Guinness world's records live? Breaking records must have been extremely important to those people in order to dedicate that much time and effort and attempt to do the deed on nationwide television, maybe even an obsession, or possibly a personality disorder. if so, well..good luck to them all. Some achieved their goal on the show, most didn't. I imagine some are in their back yards and garages still trying.

So, set up a table to your liking in a comfortable place of your choosing and dedicate hours a day for months, years, or even a lifetime trying to make those five eights on the break...eventually you'll possibly do it. :smile:

PS: I've always thought that in order to actually "break" a record, it must be done under the same circumstances that the original record was made under. But, of course, I could be wrong. :rolleyes:

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yes, indeed! Wasn't there a weekly TV program a few years ago where people tried to break Guinness world's records live?

of course, I could be wrong. :rolleyes:

I am sorry, Jimmy.

Those people don't really live on TV. It is fake, all of it.

Yes, all of it. Even the got-damn news.

jimmyg

Mook! What's a Mook?
Silver Member
Yes, indeed! Wasn't there a weekly TV program a few years ago where people tried to break Guinness world's records live? Breaking records must have been extremely important to those people in order to dedicate that much time and effort and attempt to do the deed on nationwide television, maybe even an obsession, or possibly a personality disorder. if so, well..good luck to them all. Some achieved their goal on the show, most didn't. I imagine some are in their back yards and garages still trying.

So, set up a table to your liking in a comfortable place of your choosing and dedicate hours a day for months, years, or even a lifetime trying to make those five eights on the break...eventually you'll possibly do it.

PS: I've always thought that in order to actually "break" a record, it must be done under the same circumstances that the original record was made under. But, of course, I could be wrong.

I am sorry, Jimmy.

Those people don't really live on TV. It is fake, all of it.

Yes, all of it. Even the got-damn news.

Hmmm, thanks, BB...always thought that they lived "in" the TV...until, of course, the flat screened TVs came out.

$TAKE HOR$E

champagne - campaign
Silver Member
I’m sure this has been said but there’s a very logical solution to the 14.1 record, or any record in any sport for that matter. Take power lifting, you have the RAW record and then those with sleeves, wraps or straps. Take sport shooting, you’ve got the double action, semi auto, single action...etc. Jerry Miculek and Bob Munden have broken lots of the old records with modern and older guns. John should bust Willies record on the exact same equipment and then start a new one on modern day equipment / conditions. He’s doing nothing but padding his lead at this point. It’s not like running 500+ on a loose 8 foot table is something everyone and their brother can do. Simply beating Mosconis record on the same equipment would elevate a lot of the heat on his stroke, knowing that next time he’s already up one set.....

johnnysd

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I watched yesterday and the quality of John's position got noticeably less precise as he went along. In the last 70 balls, he had probably 10 shots or more that even for a top professional was maybe only a 90% proposition. If he faces even one of those shots every rack over 37 racks it becomes almost impossible not not miss one. And that is not even allowing for the fact that he needs some shot after the break 36 times, as hard as he hits his breakouts he is going to face extreme difficulty after the break out many times.

But also there is the record itself. Mosconi set it without any pressure to reach a certain number. He just played until he missed. Maybe Jay and Mr Stroud can comment on this, but my understanding is that Mosconi rarely just played until he missed, when he ran 526 it was one of the very few times he even played past 100 or 150 which makes it even more impressive.

But if John gets to 450 the pressure in those last 5 racks just becomes immense and immense pressure leads to tension which will lead to some likely very bad positional shots both short and long.

I also think he should be doing it on a 4x8 since that is what the record is.

If he does somehow get it, I think the exhiliration might be so great that he gets very loose and maybe goes 100 or more past it, but I think it is exceedingly unlikely.

From a pure maths standpoint his median is around 150 or so with a couple big outliers. It looks like he will need to have a run 7 or 8 standard deviations above normal, which in handicapping is almost impossible.

Good luck to him though. FWIW I once talked to Cisero Murphy about Willie and Cisero was of the impression that Mosconi was even better than his legend. He said that Willie was so good and fast that often you didn't really notice how hard the shot was until after he fired it in. He also thought he would have been dominant in any game against any of the the then top players like Strickland and Mizerak, Hopkins, Hall etc...even in 9 ball.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
...I also think he should be doing it on a 4x8 since that is what the record is....
There are at least two sizes of 4x8. I doubt that there was an actual recorded measurement of the pocket size for Willie's run. I have heard rumors in various directions. Pocket size has a huge influence on run statistics.

I think highest run on any size pool table without additional restrictions or conditions is what Willie holds. I think everyone will agree that a 10-foot is harder. Most feel that 9-foot is harder than 8.

Get_A_Grip

Truth Will Set You Free
Silver Member
I’m sure this has been said but there’s a very logical solution to the 14.1 record, or any record in any sport for that matter. Take power lifting, you have the RAW record and then those with sleeves, wraps or straps. Take sport shooting, you’ve got the double action, semi auto, single action...etc. Jerry Miculek and Bob Munden have broken lots of the old records with modern and older guns. John should bust Willies record on the exact same equipment and then start a new one on modern day equipment / conditions. He’s doing nothing but padding his lead at this point. It’s not like running 500+ on a loose 8 foot table is something everyone and their brother can do. Simply beating Mosconis record on the same equipment would elevate a lot of the heat on his stroke, knowing that next time he’s already up one set.....
I actually don't agree with this. Seriously, John is going to put slow, napped cloth on a table, just to try to replicate Willie's run exactly? No way. If John beats 526, then his modern conditions will be the new record and conditions to break. The bottom line is that Willie never really tried to set up a table to try for a month to put up big numbers. So that's just too bad when it comes to a high run record.

I really don't see a problem if after someone runs more than 526 with modern day conditions, for people to still be able to say that Willie ran his balls under tougher conditions. A record should list the conditions. If anyone thinks that John really didn't break Willie's record for real, then fine. It's John's new record under "HIS" conditions. No problem. It's still very impressive and others are then welcome to try to beat JOHN'S record, instead of trying to set up a table with slow cloth.

EDIT: Thinking about it -- why stop with cloth. Dang it! John MUST use a wooden shaft too to consider him really beating Willie's record. The conditions argument will never end.

Last edited:

johnnysd

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
There are at least two sizes of 4x8. I doubt that there was an actual recorded measurement of the pocket size for Willie's run. I have heard rumors in various directions. Pocket size has a huge influence on run statistics.

I think highest run on any size pool table without additional restrictions or conditions is what Willie holds. I think everyone will agree that a 10-foot is harder. Most feel that 9-foot is harder than 8.

I was thinking I guess more in the lines of using the same table, but you make a great point.

I think the quest for the record could be turned into an interesting event. Scrounge up 4-8 of the same table as Mosconi, partner with a charity and then over say a 3 or 4 day span let pros pay per attempt, with 50% of entry feerevenues going to the person that breaks the record and 50% to charity. Something like that.

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I was thinking I guess more in the lines of using the same table, but you make a great point.

I think the quest for the record could be turned into an interesting event. Scrounge up 4-8 of the same table as Mosconi, partner with a charity and then over say a 3 or 4 day span let pros pay per attempt, with 50% of entry feerevenues going to the person that breaks the record and 50% to charity. Something like that.
Fantasy land.

1 why would they?
B why would they?

trob

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It was a different era.

And a lot of great players took their secrets to the grave, having never shared anything. You just didn't share deep knowledge back then.

Lou Figueroa

Very true. We had to learn the hard way for sure.

trob

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
So people work hard to break every sports record there is ... but in pool we shouldn’t do that? Non sense. Go back to the old folks home... it’s time for your cooked carrots.

trob

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Over thirty years I’ve learned pool players in general our assholes. Lol they hate any new ideas and hate anyone successfull in the industry. Why do you think no pro players come on this forum anymore. They treated like shit for their advice and they leave.

First, if he tries for mosconi's record then obviously he is ALSO trying to break his own,
and what's wrong with setting your sights high?

John is the first to admit running 100 more balls is "ten times harder" or "a hundred times harder"
...whether you're talking about 100 vs 200, or 400 vs 500. He says this all the time in interviews.

He has NEVER claimed to be better than Mosconi.

I cannot understand why people talk like he's some kind of a**hole for even trying,
like he's arrogant and needs to be taken down a peg.
John has a lot of humility for a guy who plays at his level.

These two records are not even in the same ballpark. You're comparing something
that is basically skill with a dash of luck, vs. something that is basically luck with a dash of skill.

L I F D 1

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
exactly the same happened in the movie w Gleason and Newman.
Gleason (fats) missed the side pocket.

reason I mention this, I believe visually something happens to the eyes after playing long shots or corner pockets.
Happened to me and several others as well.

During a long run, you come up on the side pocket with an relatively easy shot and Miss.

The eyes flex, so... focus is good but maybe the eye hasn't finished flexing when you take the shot.

???

the side pocket gets everybody

no ever gives thought to this

Attachments

• moori_1539273800_moori_850.jpg
    moori_1539273800_moori_850.jpg
    159.1 KB · Views: 311

JoeyInCali

Maker of Joey Bautista Cues
Silver Member
Pete Rose broke Ty Cobb's hit record by playing for a team on artificial turf.

I guess that needs to be erased.

Nostroke

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
So people work hard to break every sports record there is ... but in pool we shouldn’t do that? Non sense. Go back to the old folks home... it’s time for your cooked carrots.

People try to break records during the normal playing of the games. When Bob Beamon broke the long jump record by almost 2 feet in 68, no one set up a pit and took a stab at it every day.Nobody had down the middle fast balls pitched at them every day at Yankee Stadium either til one was hit out of the Park.

If John breaks the record, it will certainly be an achievement but definitely will have an asterisk.