What do you think of Southwest Cues?

Nitro Psycho

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
What is your opinion on there overall performance, quality, value, and anything else you feel a potential customer of theres should know, good or bad, just looking for data.

Thank You

Simon

JCIN

TheActionReport.com
Gold Member
What is your opinion on there overall performance, quality, value, and anything else you feel a potential customer of theres should know, good or bad, just looking for data.

Thank You

Simon

They are one of my favorite cues. They are what they are as far as design. Won't see anything new or earth shaking but fantastic execution and quality is a given. Also one of the few cues out there that really does hold its value providing you do your homework and don't over pay.

I find the stock shaft tapers stiff for me but when I get them around 12.75 they feel great. SW's are not light cues. Won't see many under 19. I know the people who make them and they are some of the nicest people I have ever met. South West cues are one of the yard sticks against I measure any other cue I am looking at. Big fan if you couldn't tell.

Ratta

Hearing the balls.....
Silver Member
Top notch quality with best playing-ability you can get for your money.
And about the weight: If you have a south-west in your hands with about 19-19,5 oz......it sure won t feel like that. They re greatly balanced. Would love to have one.

lg
Ingo

JolietJames

Boot Party Coordinator
Silver Member
We've seen a few brand new ones over the past few years and the butts are all bowed. They then lie to the customers telling them it's a parabolic taper lol. That's not taper, it's warp. The last one to be in the local hall, when rolled, the joint went from flush to the felt to 1/4" off the felt.
This is why I am currently looking for an 80's SW. I'm looking to trade the middle cue in my avatar (Greg Hearns), and cash for a good condition older SW.
I hit with one back in the 90's and it played great.

RiverCity

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
We've seen a few brand new ones over the past few years and the butts are all bowed. They then lie to the customers telling them it's a parabolic taper lol. That's not taper, it's warp. The last one to be in the local hall, when rolled, the joint went from flush to the felt to 1/4" off the felt.
This is why I am currently looking for an 80's SW. I'm looking to trade the middle cue in my avatar (Greg Hearns), and cash for a good condition older SW.
I hit with one back in the 90's and it played great.

To tell if its warped as opposed to a parabolic taper, it has to be spun on a lathe not rolled on a table.
That said, personally I do not care for them. They are high quality, solid well built cues, but the hit isnt for me. IMO, they are overrated because of the mystique they carry. 7+ year waiting list is due to cue flippers, not people who wind up playing with them.
Chuck

TheBook

Ret Professional Goof Off
Silver Member
I have one and it is a nice cue. Have to keep bragging it up to keep the resale value up.

Chances are if you picked one up and no one told you what it was I don't think you would feel anything magical about it. Fact is I don't think if you played with 10 cues from cue makers in the same level in a "blind" test that it would be the one you liked the best.

Reactions: LC3

Pushout

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I had two and sold both. I wish I had the first one back, Franklin era, {they both were} Indian Rosewood with BEM points. First class quality, in my experience. I believe the wait is now about 10 years if you order from Laurie. If you buy one on the secondary market, be prepared to pay a lot. I made money on both of mine, the first was double what I paid. There have been instances in recent years about the nose rising a bit when the butt is rolled. My second one did it, just a hair, and I never worried about it and it didn't have any effect on my selling it.
I have yet to play with anything better. My Dishaw comes closer than anything else I've played with and I've had it 17 years now. Dan played with Southwest cues himself before he started making cues and modeled his after them.
I sold both of mine because I was STUPID, ok?

jayman

Hi Mom!
Gold Member
Silver Member
To tell if its warped as opposed to a parabolic taper, it has to be spun on a lathe not rolled on a table.
That said, personally I do not care for them. They are high quality, solid well built cues, but the hit isnt for me. IMO, they are overrated because of the mystique they carry. 7+ year waiting list is due to cue flippers, not people who wind up playing with them.
Chuck

Not so. If it is round (as cues are supposed to be) and straight (as cues are also supposed to be) whether rolled on a flat surface or spinning on its center in a lathe, all areas will stay equidistant from the true center. Thus no wobble, no joint moving further then closer to the surface. If it wobbles something has moved from the center of the axis / warped / bowed.

This B.S. about a parabolic taper causing it is a lie. and believe me experienced quality cue-makers know this.

A well made cue should show only the very slightest movement in the butt even after many many years. Shafts can be expected to have a tiny wobble. although its nice when they stay perfectly straight!

JCIN

TheActionReport.com
Gold Member
Forget it. I know better than to try and make sense on the internets.

Last edited:

eyesjr

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Parabolic taper is actually a fancy word to say that the standard taper has been modified to have a 'relief' To give the cue a 1-modified, 2- accenuated, or 3- completely artificial Node point along the shaft.

It has absolutely nothing to do with butt warp.

And FWIW older SW cues rock, and the last 5-7 years are all over the place, some good, some bad...

CocoboloCowboy

Cowboys are my hero's
Silver Member
They hit like a Southwest!:cool:

That is the truest thing anyone has said so far IMHO. No Cue, Tip, Shaft, etc. is Magic, it is the SKILL of the Player that turns a Cue into a Magic Wand.;)

Trust me if I was to go play today, with a Southwest, or Black Bore I am 110% sure Scott Frost with a HOUSE CUE could still whip my BUTT at One Pocket!

cigardave

Who's got a light?
Silver Member
Since we're on the subject of SW cues, I'm curious as to their balance point.

Considering they all have brass pins (a DPK carry-over), I'd expect a weight forward balance point... like 19.5" or more from the end of the butt.

Would those of you with SWs, pls post the balance point of their cues... and the weight.

TIA, cd.

JolietJames

Boot Party Coordinator
Silver Member
Yeah the weight is an issue. You gotta try pretty hard to make a cue out of light wood be that darn heavy. Has anyone seen a SW under 19.5 oz? I prefer 19 and would LOVE to get an older SW at that weight -if one exists.

malidave

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

That is the truest thing anyone has said so far IMHO. No Cue, Tip, Shaft, etc. is Magic, it is the SKILL of the Player that turns a Cue into a Magic Wand.;)

Trust me if I was to go play today, with a Southwest, or Black Bore I am 110% sure Scott Frost with a HOUSE CUE could still whip my BUTT at One Pocket!

I will say I was at a hall the other day and did not have my cue, picked up a house cue and I swear it warped almost like a C, so I think even a pro with a stick like that will have a problem =)

CocoboloCowboy

Cowboys are my hero's
Silver Member
Yeah the weight is an issue. You gotta try pretty hard to make a cue out of light wood be that darn heavy. Has anyone seen a SW under 19.5 oz? I prefer 19 and would LOVE to get an older SW at that weight -if one exists.

If you search this site that sell a lot of SouthWest's you will see Several under 19.5 OZ, check page 1 & 2. FYI

Nick B

This is gonna hurt
Silver Member
I have hit about 10 over the years and all except one hit great (owner had retaperd the thing and should burn in hell). My only complaint it the warp area is really far forward. Just this man's opinion.

Kind of like a Ferrari. Beautiful cars but they have their steering wheel way up high on older models which gives you a bus driver type sensation.

Nick

This beauty popped up last night in the forsale/wanted section:

attachment.php

Here is what I posted (after the cue sold):

"Just wow. It breaks my heart that beauties like this are locked up in their leather cages, never to raise the havoc for which they were thoughtfully, painstakingly, lovingly created to raise. A little piece of me just died inside"

Please, people, ensure that I never find the means to acquire a cue like this. I would name it "Bucephalus", ride it into any battle I could find, and conquer the world.

I've never gotten to hit with a SW. There was a thread in the action forum after the SVB v Earl match where a poster stated something to the effect of "If SVB could play with a SW instead of XYZ cue he is paid to play..." - this comment struck me, because I wonder what the difference really is. In another thread similar to this one Grey Ghost said there is about a 1/2 ball difference in his play from the best and worst cues in his case.

TLDR: Dont have one, would play the crap out of one if I did, wonders if they are as good as the mystique.

leminhnam

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
deflection

out of curiosity, how's about deflection of SW cues? low or high? please enlighten me.