What happened to Mika?

lukemindish

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I was browsing the new homepage here on AZ and I found the featured video of him and Lee Van. It got me thinking. Where has he been? I mean a few years ago he was one of the most dominant players in the game. He played and placed in pretty much every tournament he played all over the world. I know he plays the Predator tour in NYC. Im just wondering if there was a specific reason for his lack of tournament play and lack of placing in any major tournaments?

bdorman

Dead money
Silver Member
IMHO:

Just like a house cat that escapes and tastes the outdoors, Mika tried life outside of pool and found there were other things to do for 18 hours of the day.

mal255

Registered
Must be tough constantly being on the road for over 10 years. His standing in the game must have brought other income opportunities, so perhaps he has wound down a little playing only the big stuff. I'm sure he's still playing.

The Renfro

Outsville.com
Silver Member
Basically Mika is mentally and emotionally bankrupt imho... You don't live on the razors edge like he did for several years staying at the pinnacle of your sport without having to pay the piper.....

I think all the fun was gone and it was way too much like a job... Shane said something to the same effect a few months ago....

Pool may be the most brutal cue discipline out there... The rolls and the bad beats are hard to fade over any length of time.....

Over the last year of his amazing run you could see the stress adding up. His preshot routine was starting to vary and you actually could see the color coming into his face from the blood pressure kicking up when he missed a ball or 2....

I have no doubt he will be back in his own time... When he was in "Mika" form... DiLiberto said he may be the best 9-ball player ever... And he saw them all.....

Chris

JAM

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Good for Mika. I hope he is enjoying life to the fullest. There is life after pool. Some do not realize that until it is too late to form meaningful relationships, to include a family.

It's darn near impossible to compete on a full-time basis around the world without a full-time sponsor. Most traditional jobs would never condone taking off to compete in tournaments, much less finding the time to practice to get in stroke. There are not too many partners or spouses, either, that can fade their other half away from home so much.

Pool is a rich man's high. Again, unless you have a full-time sponsor, pool should be a recreational game to be played for pleasure. It is not possible to earn a decent living when close to a half of earnings go to expenses and taxes.

I hope Mika is happy! :)

Baxter

Out To Win
Silver Member
Good for Mika. I hope he is enjoying life to the fullest. There is life after pool. Some do not realize that until it is too late to form meaningful relationships, to include a family.

It's darn near impossible to compete on a full-time basis around the world without a full-time sponsor. Most traditional jobs would never condone taking off to compete in tournaments, much less finding the time to practice to get in stroke. There are not too many partners or spouses, either, that can fade their other half away from home so much.

Pool is a rich man's high. Again, unless you have a full-time sponsor, pool should be a recreational game to be played for pleasure. It is not possible to earn a decent living when close to a half of earnings go to expenses and taxes.

I hope Mika is happy! :)

Sounds like you are talking about golf. Trust me, I've been there (on the golf side). As far as significant others fading their other halves being away so long, I think the better halves of our nations Armed Forces have them beat by a mile. All in all, I do agree with you. Good luck in life Mika, pool isn't the only thing that exists.

Maniac

2manyQ's
Silver Member
At least they cover it up, Blue.
On the other hand though, have you ever seen a cat shit on a hardwood floor. It drives them crazy. :)

No, but I've had 'em shit in my kid's sandbox.

Reminds me of of a good subject for a GEICO commercial:

"How happy are GEICO customers?"

"As happy as a cat in a sandbox!"

Maniac (uses Allstate)

billy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I was browsing the new homepage here on AZ and I found the featured video of him and Lee Van. It got me thinking. Where has he been? I mean a few years ago he was one of the most dominant players in the game. He played and placed in pretty much every tournament he played all over the world. I know he plays the Predator tour in NYC. Im just wondering if there was a specific reason for his lack of tournament play and lack of placing in any major tournaments?

might be called ' money '

cleary

Honestly, I'm a liar.
Silver Member
Mika plays a lot in NYC. He plays in the Predator tour and Amsterdam leagues. I see him at Amsterdam a lot. He's also on board for bonusball and he's hopeful it does well. He's still playing pool on a very high level but he can't beat me.

lukemindish

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Mika plays a lot in NYC. He plays in the Predator tour and Amsterdam leagues. I see him at Amsterdam a lot. He's also on board for bonusball and he's hopeful it does well. He's still playing pool on a very high level but he can't beat me.

Well that explains why is isnt traveling and playing in major tournaments. If you cant beat one of the best bonus ballers around hes got a lot of improving to do.

BarneyCalip

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Mika needs a little help......

Mika needs a new girl friend who will take care of Him.

Their are a lot of Groupie girls that will take care of him.
You can see them at all the big tournaments.

He will then have time to re-focus on Pool.

JAM

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Yes, that's the right philosophy for professional pool players. Discriminate against women, something the American pool culture has done for years, use them for everything they've got, and then when their well runs dry, leave 'em.

Welcome to AzBilliards Discussion Forum where professional players get little respect and women get none.:)

raise1

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

After the heist you did at the last Super Billiards Expo in New Jersey, Mika - and most pros - would be foolish to get into the box with you.

BarneyCalip

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
No Respect

Tramp Steamer, not everyone.
First you have to be a top player.

JAM, I do not always agree with all your posts.
I do not agree that Pro Pool Players and Women do not get respect.

I have a tremendous respect for the way you tamed that wild man KEITH.
Thanks to you, for keeping Keith safe and healthy, for all of us to enjoy,

Thanks for being a Good Women, Barney

Jerry Forsyth

I don't think anything has happened to Mika. He is in second place (behind Efren) on career earnings over the last fifteen years and he still plays as tough as a bucket of nails. Just because he hasn't won a big one the last few months means very little. And if he has quit pool this is the first I have heard of it. He has signed up and paid his entry fee for the Ultimate 10-Ball Championship. It would be no big surprise if he won it.

Island Drive

Otto/Dads College Roommate/Cleveland Browns
Silver Member

Women and Pool, both need 100% focus to win and loose and feel good about it from both perspectives....:banghead: but since women Sounds like Winnen. Where's my linen ?:thumbup::thumbup: