What I believe is the most pure form of pool

DaveK

Still crazy after all these years
Silver Member
... in snooker the red balls can also be caromed in off another ball near a pocket, this does not make it a bad game or discipline of cuing, this does however separate it from Bank Pool - the purest form of Pocket Billiards.

In the professional game, and top amateur game, caroming a red into a pocket is a very very rare shot (played intentionally that is ... flukes are another matter ... and flukes are legal pots on all colours not just the reds).

If you are saying that flukes make snooker a lesser game then of course you are entitled to your opinion ... one that I disagree with.

Dave

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
To run all 15 balls in order is a major accomplishment

I would say, as a player's opinion of all things considered Rotation is the most "pure" game.

I grew up playing rotation and so did Efren, Bustemante, and ALL Filipinos from what I'm told. I would venture to guess that many of the past and some present champions also grew up playing rotation as well.

To run all 15 balls in order is a major accomplishment and if you can "beat the ghost" playing rotation, that is the highest speed possible. IMHO
This is the game I play 50+% of the time.

Full rack rotation, play all balls (no stopping at 61).

Dan Harriman

One of the best in 14.1
Silver Member
In the professional game, and top amateur game, caroming a red into a pocket is a very very rare shot (played intentionally that is ... flukes are another matter ... and flukes are legal pots on all colours not just the reds).

If you are saying that flukes make snooker a lesser game then of course you are entitled to your opinion ... one that I disagree with.

Dave
Agreed, what I am referring to DaveK is that in bank there are no combo's either. In snooker it is not so rare to play a combo with the red or cherry balls (in the stack), in banks there are no kisses or combination shots - period. The only scoring ball or bank - has to be clean, this DOES separate bank pool from any other Pocket billiard discipline. I am not saying snooker or any other discipline is 'a lesser game' than that of bank, I am stating a fact that in bank - all banks must go completely clean. This does make it one of the purest - if not the most pure form of pocket Billiards, even in 3 cushion billiards it is legal to get a kiss and still fluke in the billiard, bank pool not so - the bank must be pocketed clean and again there are no combo banks allowed. Also alpha jack ass is wrong in that the rack is even a slight factor in full rack bank - it is not - in comparison to other games i.e One Pocket (rack a huge factor) 14.1(factor only once), nine ball (huge factor). Bank Pool is the most pure discipline of all Pocket Billiard games imho, this is just my opinion if anyone chooses to disagree with me - that is fine - those who disagree would not want to try there luck with me in bank pool - they would be a huge underdog - also they would feel uh less alpha after the beating was over.

Last edited:

DaveK

Still crazy after all these years
Silver Member
Agreed, what I am referring to DaveK is that in bank there are no combo's either. In snooker it is not so rare to play a combo with the red or cherry balls, in banks there are no kisses or combination shots. The only scoring ball has to be clean, this does separate bank pool from any other Pocket billiard discipline. I am not saying snooker or any other discipline is 'a lesser game' than that of bank, I am stating a fact that in bank - all banks must go completely clean. This does make it one of the purest if not the most pure form of pocket Billiards, even in 3 cushion billiards it is legal to get a kiss and still fluke in the billiard, bank pool not so - the bank must be pocketed clean and again there are no combo banks allowed.
lol ... bar pool around here is also like that ... call every kiss and cushion contact :D

Are jump shots allowed in bank pool ?

Dave

Dan Harriman

One of the best in 14.1
Silver Member
lol ... bar pool around here is also like that ... call every kiss and cushion contact :D

Are jump shots allowed in bank pool ?

Dave
Yes, but only with a full length playing cue - it is very rare and usually only jumping a half or quarter ball. This is one reason I enjoy bank so much, there are one set of rules and it all must go clean. Yes, there are different formats (by the game = race to 8 or race to 23 = a set) but the main rules are the same, the only time the rack comes into play is during short rack 9 ball break. I do not care to play short rack (9 ball bank) I only play full rack where they never have to argue about the rack i.e. corner ball problem associated with 9 ball bank. So bar pool is nothing like full rack bank, there are never any kisses or combo's - ever. In full rack bank - I no care if they rack em high or low for the opening break or whether they rack lose or tight will not matter much either ( I have very potent follow through on opening break). Although I even enjoy bank on a tavern table, it is not as much of an equalizer as one might think to move to the small table playing a banker either, bank is a different animal and those who do not know much about it should not try to say it ain't a pure game - it is the most pure of all games - again that is my opinion. I feel I am more than 'semi' qualified to say this as well.

Last edited:

Dan Harriman

One of the best in 14.1
Silver Member
The problem with your logic is that it doesn't make any sense. The most common shot in pool is a cut shot, so choosing a game that doesn't allow anything but banks is ridiculous.

One Pocket is clearly the truest test of skills on a pool table. It involves something from every game plus more.
Do you not cut a ball on many different banks? Just cause u never tried to practice bank avidly - it must be ridiculous lol (fear of the unknown much?) Actually it is much easier to sheet'out in One Pocket. There is very little luck involved in banks - compared to One Pocket, when player has opted to turn whitey loose while banking say a thin hit - that is the only exception to the rule. It is true that some patches are opened sooner that others, the best players work in patches. Also I reiterate - the rack is not a factor at all in full rack banks, to any of yall that have not played much bank - u would do well to listen before blurting out impurities.

Z-Nole

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Do you not cut a ball on many different banks? Just cause u never tried to practice bank avidly - it must be ridiculous lol (fear of the unknown much?) Actually it is much easier to sheet'out in One Pocket. There is very little luck involved in banks - compared to One Pocket, when player has opted to turn whitey loose while banking say a thin hit - that is the only exception to the rule. It is true that some patches are opened sooner that others, the best players work in patches. Also I reiterate - the rack is not a factor at all in full rack banks, to any of yall that have not played much bank - u would do well to listen before blurting out impurities.
In that streamed money match you had a few months ago didn’t you have a long rail bank where the object ball was tight to the side rail and after it banked just touched the point of the side pocket? If I remember right you mentioned that is one of the very if, maybe only way a ball can “shit” in. Because it’s almost impossible to hit an extra rail and still have it go in the called pocket. So as this goes I would agree banks is the purist form of pool. Second to carom of course but first with pockets.

Tooler

AhSheetMaDruars
Silver Member
So, when a banked ball "wipes it's feet" when going in, this is still considered clean...?

Texas Carom Club

9ball did to billiards what hiphop did to america
Silver Member
In that streamed money match you had a few months ago didn’t you have a long rail bank where the object ball was tight to the side rail and after it banked just touched the point of the side pocket? If I remember right you mentioned that is one of the very if, maybe only way a ball can “shit” in. Because it’s almost impossible to hit an extra rail and still have it go in the called pocket. So as this goes I would agree banks is the purist form of pool. Second to carom of course but first with pockets.

I dunno, you can shit in plenty of shots in Carom, banks has the biggest balls I guess

8intheside

14.1 (especially leaving and ball breaking into the next rack) any Form of rotation, one pocket are the games that require the most skill IMO

johnnysd

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I rspectfully disagree

There are many banks that must be hit thin in order to make, plus combinations make the game more difficult to film. I am talking about what I think would be marketable from a filming standpoint.I agreet that position and some facets of the game as we know it would be lessoned to a certain degree. There is nothing much more colorful than that watching Glen Rogers dance around banking the lights out like a smooth banking machine ( just an example). A format in which both players would not play safe too much would bring out more offensive shots.
In my opinion the only truly marketable "pool" game is Snooker. It is so vastly above all other forms of pool style games for viewing and especially TV. It is super easy to follow on TV and simple to understand and blends elements of so many games into a cohesive hole better than others. I

Sorry but I am a pool nut but I would never watch a "clean" bank pool game. It is way too limited and specialized to be compelling. Woul;d I watch a highlight and be impressed as a pool player? Sure

I understand why some people love one pocket but it is wholly uncompelling to an a viewing audience and to be honest think it is overrated in terms of skills needed. I think over time 14.1 is a better test.

Rotation is a challenging game but not really all that exciting to watch.

Snooker is compelling. Unlike most other games Snooker quite often has situations that people may have never seen before. "Deciders" in snooker are incredibly compelling unlike say a hill hill game in 9 ball where the breaker probably wins like 70% of the time without the other guy shooting.

For pool to be really popular as a spectator sport here in the US I think there are a couple of possibilities:

1. US adopts snooker (never happening)
2. A completely new game is created. I am not sure what that is exactly but I think it would be some version of 14.1 or possibly a version of rotation. The colors in a game of pool for viewing is important. There needs to be clarity in colors (which snooker has)

One concept I have kicking around in my head is a version of 14.1 that incorporates elements of rotation and possibly snooker. I think I am close to having the idea finalized. It would feature only 5 ball colors.

straightline

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Snooker is too limited as a billiards game. No rail shots. Playable shots drop to unacceptable percentages if they're slightly off angle or involve too much distance. The finer points of play are in short, remedial. I think the only reason it's popular is the empire, and because it is an empire, can easily feed the aristocratic vibe to the populace.

chitownnorth

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The major problems I have watching pool is the new colors of some pool balls, and camera angles are poor. Even some announcers cannot tell what balls are what, and cannot see if a shot goes. Those things really need to be fixed to let the spectator have a better viewing experience. Everyone who watches matches with me complains about these things.

There are some other things I think need to be addressed from a rules standpoint, but it's just my opinion and may not hold much water for some.