What is inside of the REVO shaft?

JoeyInCali

Maker of Joey Bautista Cues
Silver Member
The next generation of carbon shafts will be more expensive and play better than a wood cue shaft. Part of that will be vibration dampening technologies within the fibre structure itself. Like low deflection jump cues cues for example with this new technology. Already been made since 2012, but not mass produced for the masses.
Neil

Isn't that agains the physics of it?
To have low cue ball squirt, the shaft HAS TO HAVE HIGH DEFLECTION.
The tip deflects off the cue ball before the cue ball deflects off the tip.

mortuarymike-nv

mortuarymike-nv
Silver Member
Poor workmanship

An old guy at my pool hall used to demo his OB1 shaft by bending it and twisting it around. One day it broke and everyone was surprised by the foam tubing inside. IDK, it seemed so cheap and slapped together....I know, I know it's there for a reason but, in my my mind, foam is for walls and loudspeakers. When you see a hollow tube filled with foam it seems so lame. At least a regular maple shaft has spent years growing, being matured in a controlled environment, cut in stages. Even if it's not high technology it somehow seems more impressive.

The one impressive thing with the Revo, IMO is the coating or surface treatment. The rest is bleh. My 150 dollar spinning rod is a lot more impressive than anything I've seen as far as cue technology goes. The carbon fiber is high modulus the top being made from a different kind of Carbon fiber, blended into the rest...Held up for 10 years of rough fishing in all kinds of environments, still springy, still outcasts many of my friends rods. There is no way that rod is less expensive to make than the Revo, no way in hell. It even has expensive Ceramic rings and a quality cork handle...

The poorest design or workmanship I have ever seen has been on Laminated LD shafts ………………………..
Seen tenons that looked like the only thing holding them on was the bird dropping ..

marek

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Is it okay if I deal with it by screwing my maple shaft on?

Or..will I be shunned as a non believer?

Sure,why should anyone attack you for your decisions if these decisions hurt nobody :) But the same should apply for Revo buyers - if they have the money to buy expensive carbon shaft it is their decision which is hurting just their wallet. Why anyone cares that Revo is filled with foam is just beyond me. If Revo was filled with the blood of stillborn babies then I would start to worry,other than that who the hell cares:eek::grin:

marek

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Of course all of this is understandable and the first companies on the market can take off the cream). Anyway everybody is free to make his own choice:wink:
By the way you could met my friends and colleagues from Kiev at the Best of the East in Kelce. Recently I had a talk with Vitaliy Patsura who had become one of the youngest european champions winning the 8-ball at EC a few years ago. He asked me about Revo. Fedor Gorst and other "billiard brothers" from Russia are his good friends. One of the feature which attracts Vitaliy is the smoothness of the shaft and of course the transfer of the energy and deflection so on. He tried the shaft when he had possibility and liked it. He liked how smooth it was. He also talked about it to Fedor. And you know what Fedor told he liked the feel of his Jacoby more. But for the pro of his talent and caliber it's more about sponsorship conditions I quess. Of course there is a result after he joined Predator team but I'm just 100% sure the technical side of the game of course is very important but may be only 10% of the game. The rest 90% you cannot just click and buy...
So the long story short I told Vitaliy to remember what cue he played winning the EC and there were some big matches on the way to his gold. He won in deciding racks with Niels in the 1/4 and Francisco Sanchez Ruiz in the final being only 19 years old.
So I just advised him to be patient and keep practicing and fairly soon there will be better choice of composite shafts for better price or even better get sponsorship...

I know who Vitaliy is,if i am not mistaken i played him that year at EPC. :) For me Revo was love for the first sight so to speak. After like 3 shots with it I knew that i NEED that shaft :) And that is coming from someone who had super shaft in Ex Pro by Mezz. And like i said before - Revo is not suited for everybodys game,it just happens to be perfectly suited for MY game :)

Jimmy C-Note

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If the REVO shaft is such a work of art and the balls just seem to magically jump in the pockets, why did the owner of said shaft bust it over his knee? :shrug:

S.Vaskovskyi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
An old guy at my pool hall used to demo his OB1 shaft by bending it and twisting it around. One day it broke and everyone was surprised by the foam tubing inside. IDK, it seemed so cheap and slapped together....I know, I know it's there for a reason but, in my my mind, foam is for walls and loudspeakers. When you see a hollow tube filled with foam it seems so lame. At least a regular maple shaft has spent years growing, being matured in a controlled environment, cut in stages. Even if it's not high technology it somehow seems more impressive.

The one impressive thing with the Revo, IMO is the coating or surface treatment. The rest is bleh. My 150 dollar spinning rod is a lot more impressive than anything I've seen as far as cue technology goes. The carbon fiber is high modulus the top being made from a different kind of Carbon fiber, blended into the rest...Held up for 10 years of rough fishing in all kinds of environments, still springy, still outcasts many of my friends rods. There is no way that rod is less expensive to make than the Revo, no way in hell. It even has expensive Ceramic rings and a quality cork handle...

Very well said. 100% agreed.

What I can add I have nothing against CF shafts. Eventually I have a car and quite a few external and internal parts are in carbon fiber which I made myself. I used to have such a hobby and really love the look of CF on the sun. So I have an idea how to work with it and the costs.
This revolutionary shaft just looks fairly cheap.
After playing and coaching pool almost half of my life it seems I will have one more hobby - cue building. Now I'm in the very beginning and just built a cue for myself and for two of my students. I was really lucky to get some really unique, rare and beautiful woods to work with and I love the look and the feel of the woods. While I like the look of carbon fiber in my car I prefer the look and feel of the woods in my cues. But if you look at the cue I've built for myself it has some revolution in itself:D. https://forums.azbilliards.com/showthread.php?t=463154
I'm experimenting while learning and could not be happier with the results and I love my solid maple shaft because it plays like it plays not only because of the construction used but mainly because of amazingly hard maple which is very stiff.
You know what when I finished the shaft our european champion Vitaliy Patsura came and asked to try it and he played some racks playing shots with different speeds and sides and never missed. He said playing with sides he just aimed like he does when he plays with his Predator 314/2.
I made the taper of my shaft so it plays very stiff but I can easily make it more lively if I want to.
Of course it may be composite cues will be the future some day with all the restrictions and decreasing in availability of many woods but I believe the old school wooden cues still will have their happy owners.:)

Last edited:

AlienObserver

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
This is so strange to me.
I remember some time ago that I had seen a poll here showing the average age of this forum's users, and I would bet it wasn't younger than 12, but after reading this thread I am sure half of the people here are in fact 10 year olds....

gregoryda

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Inside a Revco is a note saying SUCKER.. LOL Johnnyt

Johnny, I'm going to have to use that quote! :thumbup: It looks like there is a 1/4" or more space behind the end of the "ferrule" that is void of foam. Looks like a potential for a crack to form. CF must be strong stuff.

conetip

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Isn't that agains the physics of it?
To have low cue ball squirt, the shaft HAS TO HAVE HIGH DEFLECTION.
The tip deflects off the cue ball before the cue ball deflects off the tip.

That is what my J100 jumpcue is. Look youtube for J100 , there are some videos of jump shots with it.
Yeah it was lets try this and see what happens. Turned out better than expected. Lighter was better , not the other way around.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RJDM04rE-5g&ab_channel=DavidLihou

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wue83sHQUok&ab_channel=DavidLihou

Cardigan Kid

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Very well said. 100% agreed.

What I can add I have nothing against CF shafts. Eventually I have a car and quite a few external and internal parts are in carbon fiber which I made myself. I used to have such a hobby and really love the look of CF on the sun. So believe me I have an idea how to work with it and the costs.
This revolutionary shaft just looks fairly cheap.
After playing and coaching pool almost half of my life it seems I will have one more hobby - cue building. Now I'm in the very beginning and just built a cue for myself and for two of my students. I was really lucky to get some really unique, rare and beautiful woods to work with and I love the look and the feel of the woods. While I like the look of carbon fiber in my car I prefer the look and feel of the woods in my cues. But if you look at the cue I've built for myself it has some revolution in itself:D. https://forums.azbilliards.com/showthread.php?t=463154
I'm experimenting while learning and could not be happier with the results and I love my solid maple shaft because it plays like it plays not only because of the construction used but mainly because of amazingly hard maple which is very stiff.
You know what when I finished the shaft our european champion Vitaliy Patsura came and asked to try it and he played some racks playing shots with different speeds and sides and never missed. He said playing with sides he just aimed like he does when he plays with his Predator 314/2.
I made the taper of my shaft so it plays very stiff but I can easily make it more lively if I want to.
Of course it may be composite cues will be the future some day with all the restrictions and decreasing in availability of many woods but I believe the old school wooden cues still will have their happy owners.:)

If I've learned anything in regards to cues is that they all have a shelf life in regards to their playability.
I've had some LD wood shafts from 4 different companies and they all behaved differently after a few hundred hours of play....My favorite shaft would play even more differently after a thousand hours of play.
There is a science to it all, the wood fibers loosen and separate over time from the linear forces and shock abuse from playing.
Frustrated by breaks, or just loose whippy shafts that never stayed the same, I eagerly made the shift to Carbon composite (my choice was BeCue because they could make a modified ferrule size where predator could not).

That all being said, I believe the weak spot or temperamental spot of Carbon Composite shafts are the filler materials used to fill the void of the shaft or to give weight.
Over 1,000 hours of stress, shock, vibrations, seasonal changes...Will the consistency of that filling material stay the same or break up, loosen, flex, and cause a change to the hit/feel?

Only time will tell because the shafts are so new. But I have a feeling that around a couple thousand hours of quality play, practice, drills, that every shaft will have a different feel.

I'm curious to see how current pros who put in massive amounts of hours with their cues...the ones playing Revo...how many times they change them out, switch, or stick with the same original shaft for long periods of time.

Experienced folks like yourself who also have access to professional players who put in massive amounts of work hours at the table would have access to this type of cue data so please let us know when the time comes if any changes in structure/reliability happen in the carbon composite world.

Cardigan Kid

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I know who Vitaliy is,if i am not mistaken i played him that year at EPC. :) For me Revo was love for the first sight so to speak. After like 3 shots with it I knew that i NEED that shaft :) And that is coming from someone who had super shaft in Ex Pro by Mezz. And like i said before - Revo is not suited for everybodys game,it just happens to be perfectly suited for MY game :)

Marek, see my post above. I'm banking on you to provide some quality data on your Revo the longer you play with it. After 1 year, I would really like to hear your thoughts after picking up a new Revo and hitting some comparing it to your current Revo which I assume you'll have a thousand hours of use invested into it by then.

Cardigan Kid

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I found this on another message board. Apparently someone got mad and broke one, so it got dissected to see what was inside. :thumbup:

Great thread and photos, Chuck. Thanks for sharing because learning about the equipment is just as fascinating as playing with it.

Green rep sent your way. Thanks again.

Icon of Sin

I can't fold, I need gold. I re-up and reload...
Silver Member
Inside a Revco is a note saying SUCKER.. LOL Johnnyt

Why do you say that? If the product delivers what it is designed to and the buyer likes it, why are they the sucker?

Personally, I'm not a fan of synthetic shafts, or laminated/aftermarket shafts. With that being said, a lot of thought and design went into making this shaft feel like a wood shaft weight wise and stroke wise on top of it making it function like a low def shaft. It honestly might not look like it, but there had to be some serious engineering going on. Not to mention this thing was in the hands of pros as a prototype for YEARS before they put it out to the public, and it's initial public appearance was in a raffle/contest.

I'm a custom cue player and I personally feel that no shaft will play better then the shaft that my cue maker made for my cue and I will never use this shaft... BUT... Predator really did put out a good product here that delivers. IMO, it's worth the money and no one who buys it is a sucker.

S.Vaskovskyi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If I've learned anything in regards to cues is that they all have a shelf life in regards to their playability.
I've had some LD wood shafts from 4 different companies and they all behaved differently after a few hundred hours of play....My favorite shaft would play even more differently after a thousand hours of play.
There is a science to it all, the wood fibers loosen and separate over time from the linear forces and shock abuse from playing.
Frustrated by breaks, or just loose whippy shafts that never stayed the same, I eagerly made the shift to Carbon composite (my choice was BeCue because they could make a modified ferrule size where predator could not).

That all being said, I believe the weak spot or temperamental spot of Carbon Composite shafts are the filler materials used to fill the void of the shaft or to give weight.
Over 1,000 hours of stress, shock, vibrations, seasonal changes...Will the consistency of that filling material stay the same or break up, loosen, flex, and cause a change to the hit/feel?

Only time will tell because the shafts are so new. But I have a feeling that around a couple thousand hours of quality play, practice, drills, that every shaft will have a different feel.

I'm curious to see how current pros who put in massive amounts of hours with their cues...the ones playing Revo...how many times they change them out, switch, or stick with the same original shaft for long periods of time.

Experienced folks like yourself who also have access to professional players who put in massive amounts of work hours at the table would have access to this type of cue data so please let us know when the time comes if any changes in structure/reliability happen in the carbon composite world.

As a player and a coach I can tell for sure any shaft is much more consistent then my game, technique. I quess it is the same thing with most of us.
Just a week ago I participated in advanced course of seminars for coaches and players held by professional british snooker coach Alan Trigg helping him with translation. Alan is a great person and coach who used to work in Sheffield's snooker academy, worked and still working with very many pros. He has huge experience and knowledge. As usual I had great time during that week being able to talk to Alan, learn something new, ask questions and so on. You know what every participant was amazingly impressed with? Almost every snooker pro player is capable to pot most of the balls blind (with closed eyes). It means they aim preparing for the shot as soon as they choose and stand on the line of the shot after that close eyes, walk into the shot, have a stance and shoot. Alan told the best in this is John Higgins who can pot approximately 90% of the shots with closed eyes. We had so much fun trying to pot the most easy balls walking into the shot with closed eyes. None could even hit the CB properly even the best of participants, even Vitaliy failed. Alan is in his 60's and does not practice now but he easily does this and most of the times is very close to the pot even on the long pots. Snooker players are trained correctly to walk into the shot so consistently that it is easy to pot the ball even with closed eyes. That is what increases your confidence in your stroke it means your confidence in your game and brings consistancy.
That is just an example and I know for sure this makes any player much more confident in their stroke than any shaft (cue) can do. But you cannot just click and buy it you have to work and it pays off. There are no short cuts but you already know this, don't you? :smile:

marek

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Marek, see my post above. I'm banking on you to provide some quality data on your Revo the longer you play with it. After 1 year, I would really like to hear your thoughts after picking up a new Revo and hitting some comparing it to your current Revo which I assume you'll have a thousand hours of use invested into it by then.

Sure no problem ;) After 4 weeks my Revo has about 80-90 hours on it and I like it even more now than at the beginning :) So yeah, 1 year/1000hours is a good estimate ;) Making review after that time may be useful ;)