What is your favorite shot for...

Donovan

A little security, goes..
Silver Member
Getting Out of Trouble.

There are certain situations that we have all gotten in and we have found creative ways of getting out of them. What are some of your favorites?

Not everyone can use the new cuetable...although I found their instructions to be great. (Today was my first real attempt at it.) So anyway, describe your shot in anyway or form that you can come up with.

Playing 8-ball: Here was my solution to getting on the 8 after getting on the wrong side of my last solid in to the side pocket and having balls blocking my path to get a round the table. (remember to hit page 2 to see how I did it)

Getting on the 8!

Mr. Wilson

El Kabong
Gold Member
Silver Member
I like the "kick masse".

Getting left hooked and needing to kick off a rail with enough english to bring it back for a good hit.

ps, I cannot see the description due to filters Corporate has installed.

Billy_Bob

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Sometimes a player will break an 8-ball rack with follow and leave the cue ball on the foot short rail and not make any balls. (The person breaking looks pleased with himself as many times I have no shot.)

So I just shoot a nearby ball toward the head of the table with draw. This leaves the cue ball back on the foot short rail and leaves my opponent with the same shot he left me with (no shot). This wipes the grin right off my opponent's face!

Vahmurka

...and I get all da rolls
Silver Member
For some reason my Safari browser doesn't allow me to use Cuetable properly: I can move the balls, but can not draw lines. Therefore I will have to describe it with words.
My first (and only) decision was to draw the CB off the long rail with extreme left, cheating the pocket to the left side in order to minimize cut angle. There is a big risk of scratching, but that's the way I would've played it. I'm not that creative to come up with your solution, Donovan, though I like it. Next time I'm in trouble I will remember to think in 3D and go airborne :)

Aaron_S

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Donovan said:
Playing 8-ball: Here was my solution to getting on the 8 after getting on the wrong side of my last solid in to the side pocket and having balls blocking my path to get a round the table. (remember to hit page 2 to see how I did it)
Getting on the 8!

I like your shot, but I actually find myself using this one more often, especially if the ob and cb are close together. I find it a little easier to judge my speed with this one than the jump shot. It's basically just a straight-side masse, and it's a lot easier than it looks with just a little practice.

CueTable Help

I usually don't try the longer ones, but I did make this one recently in a for-fun game.

CueTable Help

Aaron

Billy_Bob

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Aaron_S said:
...I usually don't try the longer ones, but I did make this one recently in a for-fun game...

Wow! (When I grow up, I'd like to be able to make a shot like that...)

tigerallenyim

Hate has no home here
Silver Member
At this current moment, it would have to be kick shots to where the ball is pocketed. Depending on the percentages, I will attempt to kick the shot to pcoket it in.... result? Awesome! Kick-safes is still something I am working on. Actually happened last nite, and took the time it deservered in order to pocket the ball. But I want to make sure I don't take it too seriously as we should all develop other skills.

Aaron_S

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Billy_Bob said:
Wow! (When I grow up, I'd like to be able to make a shot like that...)

LOL. It's really not that hard. Give it shot next time you practice (start with the first one, though).

JimS

Grandpa & his grand boys.
Silver Member
For most kinds of trouble I prefer the 12 gauge double 00 shot. :D

Yes... I know it's dumb and I tried to resist and just couldn't.

Donovan

Silver Member
Aaron_S said:
I like your shot, but I actually find myself using this one more often, especially if the ob and cb are close together. I find it a little easier to judge my speed with this one than the jump shot. It's basically just a straight-side masse, and it's a lot easier than it looks with just a little practice.

CueTable Help

Aaron

You know what is so funny? A really good player asked me how I would shoot this shot. I looked at it and did what I showed. I looked up and he was standing there with his mouth open when I went up and over and said, "umm, yeah, that is a great way out of that, but umm what I was going to show you is this..." He eventually showed me this version. Then afterward, he said, We'', now I have 2 ways out that mess. Thanks." ;)

BTW, thanks for posting that, it really brought back the memory!:)

mosconiac

Job+Wife+Child=No Stroke
Silver Member
I'll share 3 shots. Check all 3 pages in the following SueTable.

Cuetable for Mosconiac

I found the first shot by accident. I was playing 9-ball and I needed to get from the 8 to the 9. I jacked up to power the CB around the table and instead it bounced up onto the rail and proceeded to run straight down table for perfect position. I later saw Reed Peirce shoot a very similar shot at the 1995 or 1996 US Open (whatever year it was that he won).

The second has been posted above. The balls start in the same position as in page 1, but you masse up table. The CB view is as you are looking at it from above.

The third shot is a 1P shot. Your opponent has just broken and left a ball near his pocket on the side rail. I saw Corey shoot this shot a few years back and have used it very successfully ever since. You simply kick that ball to your side and use the head ball as a stopper (that head ball always ends up on the rail after the break). If you make the ball, you can generally run a few.

Last edited:

Andrew Manning

Aspiring know-it-all
Silver Member
I coached a teammate out of this situation recently:

http://CueTable.com/P/?@4ASiE4DPMw1HRUh4PVCs@

She was solids, and her opponent missed the 8, leaving her this. I'm not sure if I diagrammed it perfectly, but it looked like it would be an extremely difficult shot to make a good hit on the 1 because the CB was so close to it, and it looked nearly impossible to play a good safe. So I coached my SL4 teammate to shoot it this way:

http://CueTable.com/P/?@4ASiE4DPMw1...UBti3UQVW4kVCs4kUlv8kWBS8kbRj4kQGi4kPIa1uClO@

Using a soft stroke and extreme low-right english, she was able to make a natural stroke that avoided the scratch, avoided the double-hit, and had a good chance to leave a safety, which she fortunately achieved. It won her the game.

-Andrew

Blackjack

Illuminati Blacksmack
Silver Member
PointSHot.jpg

I learned this shot by watching Buddy Hall unsuccessfully try this shot against Jose Parica in the 1992 US Open. I was able to use this shot successfully about a year later and it helped me to win the finals of a tournament.

poolplayer2093

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Andrew Manning said:
I coached a teammate out of this situation recently:

http://CueTable.com/P/?@4ASiE4DPMw1HRUh4PVCs@

She was solids, and her opponent missed the 8, leaving her this. I'm not sure if I diagrammed it perfectly, but it looked like it would be an extremely difficult shot to make a good hit on the 1 because the CB was so close to it, and it looked nearly impossible to play a good safe. So I coached my SL4 teammate to shoot it this way:

http://CueTable.com/P/?@4ASiE4DPMw1...UBti3UQVW4kVCs4kUlv8kWBS8kbRj4kQGi4kPIa1uClO@

Using a soft stroke and extreme low-right english, she was able to make a natural stroke that avoided the scratch, avoided the double-hit, and had a good chance to leave a safety, which she fortunately achieved. It won her the game.

-Andrew

why didn't she just shoot the 4 in the upper left corner. she leaves a tough bank if she misses and she should be out if she makes it. it's like a free shot

Andrew Manning

Aspiring know-it-all
Silver Member
poolplayer2093 said:
why didn't she just shoot the 4 in the upper left corner. she leaves a tough bank if she misses and she should be out if she makes it. it's like a free shot

Good catch; it was probably because the 4-ball wasn't exactly there. This was 4 or 5 weeks ago, and I don't remember the exact positions of the balls except the CB and the 1. Maybe the 4 was uptable a bit so she couldn't take a shot at it without risking selling out. Anyway, wherever the balls were exactly, we agreed that her best move was to hit the 1 and leave the CB on the foot rail, and I showed her a creative way she could do it without risking a scratch or a double-hit, even for a player without a lot of experience and without a lot of finesse at her disposal.

-Andrew

Donovan

Silver Member
Blackjack said:
I learned this shot by watching Buddy Hall unsuccessfully try this shot against Jose Parica in the 1992 US Open. I was able to use this shot successfully about a year later and it helped me to win the finals of a tournament.

A quick note on this shot David. High-right English will get this done with some consistency. I've even made this shot once going the long rail, but it was a "just for fun" game. :)

Blackjack

Illuminati Blacksmack
Silver Member
Donovan said:
A quick note on this shot David. High-right English will get this done with some consistency. I've even made this shot once going the long rail, but it was a "just for fun" game. :)

I use high left (inside) english to get the job done.

This was the beauty of being able to watch and learn from Buddy Hall in his prime. 25-30 years ago, Buddy was THE man. I would watch him for hours and if I had a chance I would ask a lot of questions and he was always willing to share his knowledge with everybody. It was a sad day when I watched some guy named Cesar Morales frustrate him so easily. Buddy was the first victim of the Filippino invasion, and would certainly not be the last. If anybody wants to know how strong Efren's game was - remember he frustrated the greatest players with EASE. I learned more tricks by watching and talking to Buddy Hall than anything else.