• Pentax------more than 500.00

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

New Guy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
New Poll.

Please if you will indicate the brand camera used for pleasure and posting here on the AZ.

I really need to buy one.I have a bug for it ,
I used to take a few as a hobby, and also have a lot of stuff for the Flee-bay

Please indicate a different Brand . . . if you use something else.

I guess I could have asked for who has a camera . who doesn't --Brand /performance should help me make a decision.

Any one with a camera for sale , or have a link to buy reasonable would help.

Thanks fellow broke AZ'ers ,it's an investment in my future.
The New Guy strikes again.
As you guys might figure detail to a degree ,easy to use and reasonable(what is reasonable these days) in price --I do not want to buy something and be un- happy later.

Last edited:

Demondrew

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I just upgraded from my Canon A650IS to a Nikon D3000. Both are great cameras but I wanted interchangeable lenses and bigger glass. I'm giving up 2 mega pixels or so but don't ever blow up over 11x17. I get the new camera delivered in the next few days, I feel like a kid just before christmas.

Sorry the other camera is already sold.

Andy

Last edited:

New Guy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Camera poll

NIKON/CANON/CANON/NIKON/PENTAX ----BLAH , BLAH

I WANT TO TAKE 8'S = 9'S PHOTO QUALITY --I HAVE COINS AND ANTIQUES TO LIST , DETAIL IS VERY IMPORTANT. sorry about the caps--

Detail on cue handles,coin imaging, jewelry detail.

Is your new one the best bang for the buck or do you know something else.

I have a Mac and the iphoto is ok but not the best editing software ,
the canon outfit has a pretty good rep also Apple recommends Canon ?

Thanks for any help.

Budget matters but saving a hundred or ?$$ and being short a couple of sandwiches at the pic-nic ?? Posting, web site building Detail, Macros lens expense, , stuff like that on down the road are pitfalls I WOULD LIKE TO AVOID. caps sorry

Chris

ftgokie

D player extraordinaire
Silver Member
Canon Rebel t1i 15 meg pixl camera......Easiest camera I have ever used, and best quality pictures. I am a dummy and I can take great pics with this camera:thumbup:

atthecat

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I use my iPhone for taking cue pics for this site. They look great and you don't have to do any editing. The video is great too with no computer editing. You can do all that on the phone!
If I need some better resolution I use my Sony Cyber-Shot 10 mega pixel.

JasonS

jason-sadler.com
Silver Member
Any one with a camera for sale , or have a link to buy reasonable would help.

I've been wanting to sell my camera for a while to buy something that can keep up with me a little better. I currently own a Canon Rebel XSi with the vertical grip and the kit 18-55, a cheapo 70-300 sigma (sample from Reyes vs. Archer match), and a vivitar 8mm fisheye. The only problem I really have with the camera is the shutter sound is kind of loud (all entry-level canons posses this quality) so in a quiet setting I feel like I'm intruding a bit. Anywho, it is for sale and I recently cleaned the sensor myself so it is completely spotless. If you're interested send me an email at http://www.jason-sadler.com/contact. I'm after a 40D for the larger body and quieter shutter, myself... Image quality isn't really different between the two but I'm mainly interested in the quiet shutter.

skor

missing shots since 1995
Silver Member
I used a Nikon D40x with 18-200 lens on older pictures.
Recently I made a HUGE jump....
My current equipment:
Body: Nikon D700
Lens: 24-70 f/2.8
70-200 f/2.8 VR
105 f/2.8 Macro VR
50 f/1.8
Flash: SB-600

For coins I would suggest a good macro lens, if you're going with Nikon then even the old 60mm Macro is a great lens that is not that expensive and will serve you well.
A good lighting is a must, I suggest to build a light box

A tripod will also make your pictures sharper and easier to take.

As for camera body, any entry level DSLR would be sufficient. I would recommend the Nikon D5000 or the Canon EOS 500D

coin.jpg

Hierovision

Dios mio, man.
Silver Member
Several point-and-shoots come with very effective macro features. If you're looking to stay in the budget category, a quality point-and-shoot is an extremely good option.

For a DSLR I suggest Nikon (D40X is by far the best value for entry-level DSLR's IMO)... been a Nikon fan since high school. I suggest investing in three lenses: 17-35mm Nikkor (best lens ever invented, IMO), 50mm (on skor's list), and 70-200mm (also on skor's list). Also grab the SB-600 flash (on Skor's list lol). That should cover almost any application for an amateur photographer. It will also be really expensive, but is completely and totally worth it once you start taking shots. If you can only afford one cheap(er) lens, go with the 24-70. If you can afford the 17-35mm GET IT. If I'm in love with anything more than an exceptional cue, it's this lens lol.

mullyman

Hung Like a Gnat!
Silver Member
Canon Rebel t1i 15 meg pixl camera......Easiest camera I have ever used, and best quality pictures. I am a dummy and I can take great pics with this camera:thumbup:

I have the same one as you. Only I'm in Japan and it's called "Kiss x3". Love it. The photos that come out of this thing are amazing.
MULLY

TATE

AzB Gold Mensch
Silver Member
It's the software too...

I WANT TO TAKE 8'S = 9'S PHOTO QUALITY --I HAVE COINS AND ANTIQUES TO LIST , DETAIL IS VERY IMPORTANT. sorry about the caps--

Thanks for any help.

Budget matters but saving a hundred or ?$$ and being short a couple of sandwiches at the pic-nic ?? Posting, web site building Detail, Macros lens expense, , stuff like that on down the road are pitfalls I WOULD LIKE TO AVOID. caps sorry

Chris

The camera and learning to use it is part of it. It takes experimentation and practice. I would suggest just starting off with a Canon G9 or G10 for $500. It has plenty of powerful, controllable features and a macro mode.

Photo editing software is a huge part of the final product. I use an inexpensive but powerful program called Paint Shop Pro which was made by Jasc originally but is now owned by Corel. It's $99 for the full product.

I've never used photoshop, but I can say this Paint Shop Pro does way more than I need - and does it quickly. There are invaluable tools for touching up and editing the photos. I also suggest at some point a class or two on how to use it, or at least picking up an instructional book. Photo editing software can be pretty frustrating and difficult to use well.

Chris

ftgokie

D player extraordinaire
Silver Member
I have the same one as you. Only I'm in Japan and it's called "Kiss x3". Love it. The photos that come out of this thing are amazing.
MULLY

Yea, My wife is a teacher and I bought her one also for her to use at school, she loves it also. Amazing how easy it is to use it and how great the pics come out.

LWW

MEMGO5
Silver Member

Thanks for any help.

Chris

Here's what you need, and I'm assuming that you are using it primarily for web based and/or no enlargements bigger than 11 X 14:

ON THE CHEAP (Under $200):
- A point and shoot with macro capability and a lens faster than F5.6.
- A cheap tripod.

Sensible starter setup that you won't regret (Under $700):
- DSLR of 6MP.
- A kit zoom lens of F5.6 or faster.
- A decent tripod, I like Bogens.

Killer startup set that will let you do much more and is expandable (About $1K):
- DSLR of 6MP.
- A kit lens of F5.6 or faster.
- A 50MM AF lens of F1.8 or faster.
- A set of AF macro extension tubes.
- A decent tripod, I like Bogens.
- Genuine Fractals software.
- Photoshop Elements.

I use Nikon and believe it is the bes choice based on the glass and add ons available. Canon would be a very close second choice.

LWW

skor

missing shots since 1995
Silver Member
Several point-and-shoots come with very effective macro features. If you're looking to stay in the budget category, a quality point-and-shoot is an extremely good option.

For a DSLR I suggest Nikon (D40X is by far the best value for entry-level DSLR's IMO)... been a Nikon fan since high school. I suggest investing in three lenses: 17-35mm Nikkor (best lens ever invented, IMO), 50mm (on skor's list), and 70-200mm (also on skor's list). Also grab the SB-600 flash (on Skor's list lol). That should cover almost any application for an amateur photographer. It will also be really expensive, but is completely and totally worth it once you start taking shots. If you can only afford one cheap(er) lens, go with the 24-70. If you can afford the 17-35mm GET IT. If I'm in love with anything more than an exceptional cue, it's this lens lol.

D40x is an old model that was replaced by the D60 and recently was replaced by the D3000.
The D5000 that I recommended is the next level but it's a big jump as it has the same CMOS sensor that you'll find on the more expansive D90 and D300. I would not recommend the 17-35 (as great as it is) because he would probably do better with an all-around lens for everyday use, something like the 18-105VR that can come as a kit lens that will save some money and an additional macro lens for his needs (photographing coins and such)

blah blah

Shoebat
I have a regular old Canon Powershot- it's cheap, decent and reliable.

That said, and especially given your need for very good quality, I've been absolutely longing for a Canon Rebel T1i like fgtokie's for months, now.

phread59

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
So I'm done lurking. Just signed up to answer this one.

Without doubt a Nikon. And Ill say why. In one word, GLASS. There are new Nikon DSLR"s (digital Single Lens Reflex) comming on line with full 35mm Cmos's. With a full size CMOS any autofocus lens will work on this body. I believe that some of the newer more expensive bodys will even meter properly with old manual lenses. This opens up huge oppertunity's to buy older primo glass at great prices. Old AIS glass can be picked up for peanuts. Nikon uses the F mount on most modern cameras. So lense interchangability is fantastic.

Now I'm not in anyway Dissing Cannon, Minolta,and so on they all make great cameras. The Digital rebels are a fantastic bang for the buck. But the lens situation for Nikon really helps beginners get hooked up easier.

Check Adorama and B&H Photo. They are both reputable dealers. They sell all kinds of guaranteed used stuff. I have bought from both. Great places for new and used.

I wish you luck with your purchase. BTW My shooters are F-4, F-3. n-80 and an older SN-2(I think that's it), all old school 35mm.

Oh yea take a look at Tamron and Sigma glass. Great glass at great prices. Have several of each and love each one.

best of luck.

Mark Shuman

Guerra Cues

I build one cue at a time
Silver Member
Have a Canon XSI. Will always need a ton of new lenses but looking to get a good Macro lens very soon.

MitchAlsup

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Realistically, this is the kind of discussion that should be happening over at:

http://www.dpreview.com

Basically, Canon and Nikon are tops of the heap, Canon leads in some kinds of lenses, Nikon in others. If you choose between N&C you basically can't make a mistake.

New Guy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Camera ---

Thank you guys very much ,
I have had a time in deciding now it's just budget.

Unbelievable --amount of friendly --honest--information

Thanks everybody !!

The New Guy will be buying a camera.

Chris