What tip and hardness is right for me?

Mikey Town

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hello all,

Please excuse my ignorance, but I'm still a novice when it comes to tip knowledge.

I will be ordering a new shaft for my player soon (probably an OB-1), but I have no idea what kind of tip to have put on it.

So far I have only had the chance to play with Elk Master, Le Pro, and a Tiger Emerald tip. The Emerald is a bit to hard for me and I like the Le Pro the best of the three... probably because that is what I started playing with, so I'm the most used to it.

I am leaning toward a layered tip and have heard good things about Moori, Kamui, and the Tiger Sniper. Does anyone have any suggestions about these and/or any other tips on the market?

Also, what hardness should I go with? I like a softer hit and am looking something that will put easy spin on the ball... especially for lower speed shots. I play mostly 8 and 9 ball with a little 1-pocket mixed in (if that makes any difference).

I am well aware that much of this is left to personal preference and feel, but I'm not exactly in the position to try a new tip every week and narrow it down that way. I am hoping that some of the knowledge and suggestions from the forum can help me to make a good, educated decision.

Thank you all in advance.


Cheers,

Mike
 
Mikey , one simply question : why not try several new tips ? You are in the perfect position to do so .

First , order your new shaft with the LePro . It's what you're used to , and it seems to work for you . That way you're only changing one variable in your game at a time !

Now , take your old shaft , and use it to learn to change tips . Tips aren't that expensive - maybe try a different one every 3 weeks. The only way to decide what tip works best for you is trial and error .

Don't know how to change tips ? No problem - use your search key , there's plenty of threads on here for that .

Once you've decided which tip you prefer , you can put one on the OB-1 , and you'll see the difference in how that plays with a different tip . . .
 
The available durrometer readins on the
A) Le Pro are 78.2
B) Tiger Emerald 76-79
C) Elk Master 60.1

This leads me to believe that your "not liking the hardness of the Emerald" but "liking the hardness of the LePro" means you are not feeling the hardness, but some other quality of these tips.
 
Mikey , one simply question : why not try several new tips ? You are in the perfect position to do so .

First , order your new shaft with the LePro . It's what you're used to , and it seems to work for you . That way you're only changing one variable in your game at a time !

Now , take your old shaft , and use it to learn to change tips . Tips aren't that expensive - maybe try a different one every 3 weeks. The only way to decide what tip works best for you is trial and error .

Don't know how to change tips ? No problem - use your search key , there's plenty of threads on here for that .

Once you've decided which tip you prefer , you can put one on the OB-1 , and you'll see the difference in how that plays with a different tip . . .

Great post. this is what i do!
 
you didn't think the le pro was harder than the emerald?

No, I didn't. Then again, it could be because I'm miscuing more with the Emerald. Could it be that the tip is glazing over and it's not the actual hardness? The tip doesn't hold chalk well at all and I have to scuff it quite often to get it to do the job.

Are there any layered tips that are known for holding chalk better than others? Maybe that will help on shots that require more english.
 
Hello all,

Please excuse my ignorance, but I'm still a novice when it comes to tip knowledge.

I will be ordering a new shaft for my player soon (probably an OB-1), but I have no idea what kind of tip to have put on it.

So far I have only had the chance to play with Elk Master, Le Pro, and a Tiger Emerald tip. The Emerald is a bit to hard for me and I like the Le Pro the best of the three... probably because that is what I started playing with, so I'm the most used to it.

I am leaning toward a layered tip and have heard good things about Moori, Kamui, and the Tiger Sniper. Does anyone have any suggestions about these and/or any other tips on the market?

Also, what hardness should I go with? I like a softer hit and am looking something that will put easy spin on the ball... especially for lower speed shots. I play mostly 8 and 9 ball with a little 1-pocket mixed in (if that makes any difference).

I am well aware that much of this is left to personal preference and feel, but I'm not exactly in the position to try a new tip every week and narrow it down that way. I am hoping that some of the knowledge and suggestions from the forum can help me to make a good, educated decision.

Thank you all in advance.


Cheers,

Mike

If you get an OB, it comes with an Everest. I would just try that for awhile but it will harden up. I'm playing with a Tiger Onyx and they are a medium firm tip that holds that feel for a long time and grips very well. The Sniper eventually gets very hard too.

Layered tips can last for years, so it's a good move to use them.

Chris
 
You question is like how deep is the ocean. All tip preference is up to you. Member he can show you the way but you will have to try different tips. But if you want to have the best layered tip out there that holds chalk an very little if any mushrooming uses KAMUI SOFT BROWN. I hope that helps grass hopper. :smile:
 
You question is like how deep is the ocean. All tip preference is up to you. Member he can show you the way but you will have to try different tips. But if you want to have the best layered tip out there that holds chalk an very little if any mushrooming uses KAMUI SOFT BROWN. I hope that helps grass hopper. :smile:

Thank you for the recommendation, Sensei :smile:
 
You and I seem to prefer the same feel from a tip and I have been using Blue Diamonds for over a year now.
These are fantastic tips, hold chalk well, grip the cueball, and are CHEAP :)

Regards,
Koop
 
Please excuse my ignorance, but I'm still a novice when it comes to tip knowledge.

Also, what hardness should I go with?
FYI, a good summary of tip info and hardness effects, along with additional resources can be found here:


IMO, the tip choice isn't as important as some people think (as long as the tip holds chalk well, and you practice long enough to get a "feel" for the new tip).

Regards,
Dave
 
Hello all,

Please excuse my ignorance, but I'm still a novice when it comes to tip knowledge.

I will be ordering a new shaft for my player soon (probably an OB-1), but I have no idea what kind of tip to have put on it.

So far I have only had the chance to play with Elk Master, Le Pro, and a Tiger Emerald tip. The Emerald is a bit to hard for me and I like the Le Pro the best of the three... probably because that is what I started playing with, so I'm the most used to it.

I am leaning toward a layered tip and have heard good things about Moori, Kamui, and the Tiger Sniper. Does anyone have any suggestions about these and/or any other tips on the market?

Also, what hardness should I go with? I like a softer hit and am looking something that will put easy spin on the ball... especially for lower speed shots. I play mostly 8 and 9 ball with a little 1-pocket mixed in (if that makes any difference).

I am well aware that much of this is left to personal preference and feel, but I'm not exactly in the position to try a new tip every week and narrow it down that way. I am hoping that some of the knowledge and suggestions from the forum can help me to make a good, educated decision.

Thank you all in advance.


Cheers,

Mike



Mike, you are going to get some interesting responces, some will be ingnorant, some will be meant to help you, and some will be just another sales pitch to sell their products.

Mike you have to experiment and find what best for you no one can tell you what is best, because there is no best only what works well for you. Try a number of tips and see what you like, there is no easy answer.

Take care
 
Super Pro's are what I prefer. I want a hard tip that transmits the feel of the tip striking the cb. I like Chuck Starkey cues with the big wood joint as more feel is transmitted. imo.
 
Are there any layered tips that are known for holding chalk better than others?

I have been using Talisman hard for a couple of years now without complaint. Holds its hsape, holds chalk well, good feel--rather equivalent to the pressed lePro that cam with my 314-1.
 
Give onyx a try, you won't regrit it, I know I didn't.

P.S. I used to play with Lepro aswell.
 
Well here's a quick advice. You will be getting a lot more spin easily with the new shaft, so you wouldn't need to settle for something softer. Hope that helps.
 
Well here's a quick advice. You will be getting a lot more spin easily with the new shaft, so you wouldn't need to settle for something softer. Hope that helps.

That does help... I didn't take that into account.

In some initial research, I haven't been able to find anything bad at all about the Onyx tip. I'll probably give one of those a try.

Thank you all for your responses.
 
That does help... I didn't take that into account.

In some initial research, I haven't been able to find anything bad at all about the Onyx tip. I'll probably give one of those a try.

Thank you all for your responses.

Of course there are those like me that say that I believe that you don't get any more spin from one shaft or tip than another and that it's all hype and opinion and what you are used to and that I can get the same spin from my Z2 with a Super Pro tip as i did from my South West with a LePro tip or soft Morri, or or or or...... :groucho:

It's the stroke that makes the difference. Build a stroke and find equipment that fits your stroke for that time period. Then try other equipment as you go along and be willing to make changes in your case.

Learning and growing and trying different shots and different equipement and comparing your stuff with the stuff your friends have is great fun.
 
Back
Top