What would be your hobby if not for pool?

Cdryden

Pool Addict
Silver Member
Fishin
shootin (free handed) (hand guns mainly)
ping pong,used to play tennis
huntin,turkey,deer,tree rats
huntin arrow heads (or points as some like to call them)
Golf
Watching swamp people.Would love to do that stuff with them down there.
I'm also supprised at the # of shooters here that also play pool.That is so cool to me.
Did I mention fishin.That's what i live for.
Taking care of my family's farm and lake that we have had for about 50 years.
Just living in "the happy huntin grounds" of KY
workin on my huntin cabin in the woods
Practicing banks
metal detecting some
Playin banks

Cool thread!!
Thanks,John B.

Glad to see this on your list. I am a huge history buff and have been metal detecting for years. I have even had some success in the past.
md.jpg

This pic is from 12 years ago, I won Best Find of 2000 that year. It was 3 buried jars of coins totaling 10,107 coins! Tesoro, a metal detecting manufacturer, used to run adds in the metal detecting magazines featuring my find! I was kinda neat seeing yourself in a advertisement of a magazine.

John Brumback

Silver Member
Glad to see this on your list. I am a huge history buff and have been metal detecting for years. I have even had some success in the past.
md.jpg

This pic is from 12 years ago, I won Best Find of 2000 that year. It was 3 buried jars of coins totaling 10,107 coins! Tesoro, a metal detecting manufacturer, used to run adds in the metal detecting magazines featuring my find! I was kinda neat seeing yourself in a advertisement of a magazine.

WOW you hit the dream come true!! That's more than neat! That is awesome.John B.

jrt30004

just jokin' around
Silver Member
Just curious what other hobbies pool players are interested in. So for the non pros... what would you do with your spare time if not for pool?

I would take Karate or guitar lessons.

i still do other things even though i play pool. i have played the drums since i was a teenager, i was a chef and still cook for fun. life's too short to be myopic. even the pro level pool players play golf, poker, ride motor cycles. in other words they have other interests too.

Pushout

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
A close friend told me long ago that pool is not a hobby, it's an avocation;)
My choice would be metal detecting, which I just took up last spring. I've been out once with a friend to an estate that dates back to just after the Civil War, owned by a former general, and now used to weddings, receptions, music recitals, etc. We found a very old button with not enough detail on it to date it, a smaller button, and a square head nail. Will be going back again in the very near future. I also have a friend who recently purchased a farm whose original owner is buried on the property. The original owner died in 1792, IIRC. Should be able to find some good stuff there.
It really is remarkable what people find in the ground. And, I know I'm not the only AZ member who does this;)

Pushout

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
md.jpg

Wow! I just posted about my metal detecting hobby which I just started last spring.

Cdryden

Pool Addict
Silver Member
Pushout, If you ever want any tips or help doing research just let me know. I have wrote a few articles on how to find civil war camp sites and some other things. Best of luck to you, it can be a really fun way to spend some free time.

sfleinen

14.1 & One Pocket Addict
Gold Member
Silver Member
Wow! I just posted about my metal detecting hobby which I just started last spring.

What's so difficult/attractive about metal detecting? I can very nearly look at any object, and say with good accuracy, "yup, that's metal!" or, "no, that's wood/plastic/what-have-you." In fact, put a magnet in my hands, with a dare to find objects made of ferrous metals, and my accuracy goes WAY up -- to betting standards.

:p

-Sean <-- all funnin' aside, would like to purchase a metal detector and get into this fun hobby -- many very historic places dating to the 1700s and 1600s in my area

fhopper

I like Points
Silver Member
I have been sailing for 30 odd years, I love cars and got my first BMW recently. I will always love golf but my back doesn't allow me to rotate so I no longer have a swing. Collecting putters is fun though. My primary life long hobby has been my wife, that started in the 7th grade and we are both retiring this spring. But pool is the oldest hobby of all!

web.jpg

Last edited:

Cdryden

Pool Addict
Silver Member
I'd probably take to hitting myself in the head with a hammer, as it would be a good substitute to the frustration from playing pool and the headaches from drinking all night.

I'd have a huge custom hammer collection, try to figure out ways to more effectively hit myself, endlessly debate whether steel, brass or titanium are better for the job, get in arguments about using the claw or head end, and berate people who use peen-type hammers.

Well you would generate more speed with less effort with the titanium which would allow for more accuracy but would lack a little in force. The brass would deliver more force but since it's heavier you cant swing it as fast thus less inertia.
Answer, use a jack hammer cause it the 1st hit doesn't do the job the 2nd one isn't far behind.:cool:

scratchs

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If I had the funds an time,I would take a hike on the peoples trail with my wife,do a little fishing along the way..meet a few folks an enjoy every moment..
This thread is a reminder to me,that there is so much more to life then pool...I'll be doing a little more fishing in the near future..camping as well..

SpiderWebComm

HelpImBeingOppressed
Silver Member
Individual: golf or r/c jet airplanes

W/ the boss: wineries and hosting parties

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk

argonath

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hobbies in general are the difference I believe between those who enjoy life, and those who die within a year of quitting their jobs/careers.

My Dad was this way... never took time to have a hobby while in his working life, and kept saying when he retired he would pick up 'something'.

So he retired, tried a few things (including pool), but just went back to watching television all day.

Indeed, he died a little over a year later.

As Ive gotten older I have been fortunate enough to find a job that I enjoy, and have plenty of time to do whatever hobby I want. Currently, it is billiards, golf, and video gaming.

I used to play softball and basketball in my younger days, but I found when I spent too much time focused on one thing, I burned out after a few short years, so now I spend less time on more things and it seems more enjoyable.

rickdf

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hobbies

md.jpg

Great find there! Were the jars in one place or scattered? What age did the coins date to?

I've detected in the past and am hoping to get more involved this summer.
Minnesota happens to be an unfriendly detecting state though.

My other hobbies include:

Gold prospecting (claims in Colorado)
Photography
Playing the stock market
My wife and 3 kids

Fishing and Golf receive honorable mentions...

Rick

Cdryden

Pool Addict
Silver Member
Great find there! Were the jars in one place or scattered? What age did the coins date to?

I've detected in the past and am hoping to get more involved this summer.
Minnesota happens to be an unfriendly detecting state though.

My other hobbies include:

Gold prospecting (claims in Colorado)
Photography
Playing the stock market
My wife and 3 kids

Fishing and Golf receive honorable mentions...

Rick

They were all within 5 feet of each other. The oldest coin was a Chinese cash coin dating back to around 1735 but most were 1900's silver and allot of wheat pennies and Indian heads.