What would entice you to spend money on a TAR (The Action Report) stream?

bomber

Jeopardy Is My Road Game
Silver Member
I dont believe anyone asked for any kind of red carpet greeting...as a matter of fact...i could give a damn less what you think of me. I have real problems to worry about. I was just relaying what happened, which was off putting. The question that was posed was "What would entice you to buy the action report stream..." and I answered it. If the commentating was more profesional, I would watch it and if I had gotten my ticket like I was promised from your partner, I would buy all the things that you guys produce. It's just that simple. I was going out of my way to treat you fellas nicely. I welcomed you to my hometown. I congratulated you on your venture and wished you the best.

What you need to remember, JCIN, is that people like ME and the other fans out there who are buying the feeds. You have had several folks in this thread alone discuss the commentating...maybe you should think about it.

I would say that, due to your sarcastic and bitter reply to my message, I will not be buying your feed from the Shannon/Tony match, but it looks like we have another postponed match so I dont guess I will be worrying about that one. Perhaps the better response would have been, "Hey, sorry about that bomber. We had a lot of things going on over here and it must have slipped Big Nasty's mind." But you had to be hateful...so, you lost another viewer. Welcome to the business world, it ain't an easy world.

worriedbeef

The Voice of Reason
Silver Member
I would buy it if it was easier to use...I don't want to install a new version of Media Player etc...why can't it work just like the free version, embedded in a web page, so that once the free version was working, it was really easy to get the PPV version working....

this is nothing to do with the action report, it's just life. and computers.

at some point you installed and upgraded the latest macromedia flash on your computer otherwise the free streaming wouldn't work. all you need for the PPV is the latest version of windows media player.

shag_fu

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I've bought the shane cory ppv, and the dvd from that match. the only problem I have is how long paypal takes to go through. It would def be an improvement if credit cards were taken as I dont keep money sitting in my paypal account all the time.

softshot

Simplify
Silver Member
Truthfully... If I am going to PAY money to watch a pool match... I want it on my 46 inch wide screen where I can sit on my couch, enjoy it and not guess as to what ball is what. because all the colors look the same...I very much enjoyed the SVB vs someone match I saw for free the other night.. but it was you tube quality video ,,,, it was live and I had a decent view and it was free... but to get me to pay for it... I want a HD stream or at least TV quality.. I want it big as life on my nice TV not a blurry square on my PC.

Thats where I draw the line between enjoying it for free, and paying to enjoy it.

I think the TAR guys are doing a great job and wish them the best...

but I am just being honest.

smokeandapancak

what?
Silver Member
ARCHIVED FOOTAGE !!!!!!

Due to my location I cant really catch events aas they happen in real time Stateside.... so the abilty to go back and watch event after the fact would be a big deal to a guy like me.

Also, I kinda liked the comentary piece on the free feed...cause well it was free !!! It might not have gone over so well if I paid for the stream and had to listen to whoever bag on another player for 30 mins...

9balllvr

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
JCIN said:
I am sorry you did not get the red carpet welcome you feel you deserved. We had a few things going on at the time

Hi. I have been one of the faithful viewers since last week and have enjoyed watching the matches and some of the commentary as well. The more knowledgable players really made me think about my own approach to my game - Shawn Putnam, Charlie Bryant, Scott Frost, and Tony Chohan. What a treat those guys were and kudos for you guys for pulling them into the booth. I have purchased at least one PPV from you guys in the past and had every intention of doing the same for the Chohan/Daulton match, but understandably, it did not happen. As far as what would make me pay $$$ - I would have paid money to watch many of the match-ups or even a weekly or daily rate - just an idea for future streaming, although free is great, but we all know it costs money to do even that.

The thing I do not like is your response above - I am disappointed at the defensiveness/arrogance - I know you can't make everyone happy, but this is a feedback thread that can help you make $$$ or correct issues that kept people from paying, etc. And, another note, although entertaining at times, some of the commentators that you guys threw in the booth were just ridiculous and made you look bad. I have to note that I realize you guys could not stay there non-stop and you had equipment to watch, but the mouths of some on the stream and the content discussed was a bit much to listen to.

Since the thread was about what would make the experience better, I added my two cents. Overall, I was one of the addicted individuals watching the stream and will continue to be throughout the event. I very much appreciate what you guys have done to show the action room, it has been GREAT (coming from someone that was stuck at home). I do encourage you to take the advice as just that and do with it what you will.

Best of luck and I for one look forward to future events.

Hal

Beer Player
Silver Member
The Action Report never asked for a penny. That was me in the chat room. I was trying to get them paid for all the work they've done. Think about it. You've watched the action free 24 hours a day. That ought to be worth a couple of bucks.

Hal

SpiderWebComm

HelpImBeingOppressed
Silver Member
I know I said a few random cuss words when I got up in the emotion. My apologies to everyone I offended. There's always the volume knob.

If "sh*t" offends you to the point where you can't take it, you should leave your basement once in a while and visit a real, live pool hall.

It's refreshing to see people critique a bunch of non-commentators like myself and the others who never did that before in their life. In the meantime, if the knockers were put in the box for 12 hours at a pop - one of two things would happen: 1) You'd freeze up and puke on yourself 2) You'd be as boring as the rest of us. Show up with your church show one time on the DCC TAR stream and see how many out of 1000 blast your testicles in.

BPG24

Banned
My main problem with the commentary has come when other players were in the box. Now DD did talk about nothing for hours it seemed, but he was probably tired and it's not like he is getting paid for it.

Unbiased commentary form Frost/Chohan would have been nice.
For the most part the AZers did well

yobagua

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Bomber get over it. You are not dealing with your high school class. So what you have some experience with your high school broadcasting. You are dealing with real adults who are trying to do real adult things. So you had to run up and take a shower and get ready well do things like normal people do pay for it up front. It is more than the red carpet treatment you are asking for. If I am a merchant I am not going to wait for you in the hopes that you will be around to pay the bills I am going to take the next customer.
The TAR has only been very professional with me. They have extended every effort to fulfill my needs. However I dont think the world revolves around me. The TAR people are on the verge of revolutionizing our sport. Think if there were a TAR in every region of our country and the world. We could get access to all kinds of billiard events where we could not get to. Billiards in Europe, pool in Asia, Gambling Jamborees, even specialty events like Balkline, Korean 4 ball billiards,trick shot events, etc.
We have been treated to free Shane Van Boening, Cliff Joyner, Grady Mathews, Justin Cone, Bobby Pickle, etc every nite free. The work that entails doing this for us is enormous. So JCIN responded in a personal manner. Do you know the pressure this young man is under. I say young because I remember when I was his age and if some of the ungrateful comments Ive heard came my way I would shut it down and go on and just make my own money my way and screw the ingrates.
Customers sometimes require the red carpet treatment but its those customers that support the product wholeheartedly. They have treated me and others well above beyond what is expected. Hell you are getting this FREE! Its like the bum complaining about the free soup line doing winter. And it is winter for us pool lovers, particularly us who love the gambling aspect.
As far as the commentators. Please these guys are doing their best. Some are just enjoying what they do. Some are involved in the technical aspects. You have your Howard Stern, your Dan Rather, your Frank Gifford, your Rush Limbaugh,etc, You dont like it turn the sound down.
All in all we got to give TAR thanks for all they are doing. And if you dont like it turn it off.

derekdisco

We woulda won state!
Silver Member
Its tough to get good commentators on at 2 am or later. When I get on the mic, I figure its better than dead air. And if I'm not just turn the speakers down!!

smokeandapancak

what?
Silver Member
yobagua said:
Bomber get over it. You are not dealing with your high school class. So what you have some experience with your high school broadcasting. You are dealing with real adults who are trying to do real adult things. So you had to run up and take a shower and get ready well do things like normal people do pay for it up front. It is more than the red carpet treatment you are asking for. If I am a merchant I am not going to wait for you in the hopes that you will be around to pay the bills I am going to take the next customer.
The TAR has only been very professional with me. They have extended every effort to fulfill my needs. However I dont think the world revolves around me. The TAR people are on the verge of revolutionizing our sport. Think if there were a TAR in every region of our country and the world. We could get access to all kinds of billiard events where we could not get to. Billiards in Europe, pool in Asia, Gambling Jamborees, even specialty events like Balkline, Korean 4 ball billiards,trick shot events, etc.
We have been treated to free Shane Van Boening, Cliff Joyner, Grady Mathews, Justin Cone, Bobby Pickle, etc every nite free. The work that entails doing this for us is enormous. So JCIN responded in a personal manner. Do you know the pressure this young man is under. I say young because I remember when I was his age and if some of the ungrateful comments Ive heard came my way I would shut it down and go on and just make my own money my way and screw the ingrates.
Customers sometimes require the red carpet treatment but its those customers that support the product wholeheartedly. They have treated me and others well above beyond what is expected. Hell you are getting this FREE! Its like the bum complaining about the free soup line doing winter. And it is winter for us pool lovers, particularly us who love the gambling aspect.
As far as the commentators. Please these guys are doing their best. Some are just enjoying what they do. Some are involved in the technical aspects. You have your Howard Stern, your Dan Rather, your Frank Gifford, your Rush Limbaugh,etc, You dont like it turn the sound down.
All in all we got to give TAR thanks for all they are doing. And if you dont like it turn it off

The OP was just asking what could be done to make it better....
crticiscm is constructive ... even if it comes from an asshole... (not saying it did :D )...

BOmber told a story of his experince in dealing with the TAR guys...
Justin hit back kinda hard, justified or not, that isnt how you build youe base...selling to and providing service to the GP is a tough gig that forces you to eat shit quite often....just the way the game is.

Lastly, I highlighted your quote for a reason... it was quite evident that a number of folks didnt "like it", therefore didnt buy the PPV portion it, effectivley TURNING IT OFF. (not counting the cheep bastards that pool players can be ) Which brings back full circle to the point of the thread ....

How could this be made a better product, worthwhile of a purchase.

Last edited:

SpiderWebComm

HelpImBeingOppressed
Silver Member
smokeandapancak said:
How could this be made a better product, worthwhile of a purchase.

I'll throw your same quote back at you. More than 50 out of 1000 people buy the PPV, the more money TAR gets, the easier it is to kick me and the others out of the booth and get a real commentator -- someone paid. It's a chicken or the egg thing at the beginning of everything. Sometimes you have to support stuff that isn't perfect to make it perfect in the long run. TAR doesn't need AZ posts to know how to improve their product (sorry for running through your bubble garden with a pin). They have visionary ideas with this streaming, they're just trying to cover expenses and flip the cash into product improvement. It is what it is because of the minimal revenue collected at this point - not because they don't know what to do.

Many people of here have really done a fine job supporting them. I was around when a few people donated cash, bought a few t-shirts and signed up for the PPV. For those who supported them with donations and purchases, you understand what I'm saying. Those who are logging in for free saying they'd never buy it because of this and that, well, have fun reading text messages on match updates in the future if it doesn't fly.

Like others love throwing around..... "IMO"

Last edited:

Blackjack

Illuminati Blacksmack
Silver Member
I'll take a different angle to this, he realistic business end of it.

If I was a prospective sponsor for the sport of pocket billiards, and I tuned in to watch and listen to last few minutes of the Shane Van Boening Vs Jon Hennessee match the other day, I would have shook my head in disbelief - clicked out and never returned.

FWIW,

I support The Action Report.

I support pool.

But.... IMO, several of the comments made by the commentary team at the time were uncalled for, immature, stupid, and not in the best interest of promoting our sport in any other direction but down the toilet bowl.

Some will agree, some may not agree. Sorry, but no outside industry sponsor in their right mind would attach their business or advertisements with comments like "Shut up - I won't play you because your a F'n dick."

If you believe that type of language should be used - or if you believe that attitude is appropriate during commentary, that's fine. It irritated me to the point where I won't watch any more of the Derby because I find that type of behavior embarrassing to be associated with. While I am not watching, I won't lose sleep over it, neither will anyone else. Perhaps it was an isolated incident - perhaps this is the edge they're going for - who knows...

Chad and Justin are not directly responsible for what I heard, but I would hope that in the future they would supervise or monitor what is being said during their broadcasts because they have a lot to offer the game. Not everybody wants to hear all of that nonsense, and yes, most of it was immature nonsense. TAR have done so much in such a short time, I would hope that this is not a preview of what the norm will be in the booth from now on.

If we want our sport to be viewed as a great investment for sponsors, clean it up. There is no excuse for having relentless foul mouthed trash talking taking precedence over relaying basic information such as the score - which btw, neither of them mentioned or had any clue to what it was for the entire time they were in the booth.

corvette1340

www.EpawnMarket.com
Silver Member
Blackjack said:
I'll take a different angle to this, he realistic business end of it.

If I was a prospective sponsor for the sport of pocket billiards, and I tuned in to watch and listen to last few minutes of the Shane Van Boening Vs Jon Hennessee match the other day, I would have shook my head in disbelief - clicked out and never returned.

FWIW,

I support The Action Report.

I support pool.

But.... IMO, several of the comments made by the commentary team at the time were uncalled for, immature, stupid, and not in the best interest of promoting our sport in any other direction but down the toilet bowl.

Some will agree, some may not agree. Sorry, but no outside industry sponsor in their right mind would attach their business or advertisements with comments like "Shut up - I won't play you because your a F'n dick."

If you believe that type of language should be used - or if you believe that attitude is appropriate during commentary, that's fine. It irritated me to the point where I won't watch any more of the Derby because I find that type of behavior embarrassing to be associated with. While I am not watching, I won't lose sleep over it, neither will anyone else. Perhaps it was an isolated incident - perhaps this is the edge they're going for - who knows...

Chad and Justin are not directly responsible for what I heard, but I would hope that in the future they would supervise or monitor what is being said during their broadcasts because they have a lot to offer the game. Not everybody wants to hear all of that nonsense, and yes, most of it was immature nonsense. TAR have done so much in such a short time, I would hope that this is not a preview of what the norm will be in the booth from now on.

If we want our sport to be viewed as a great investment for sponsors, clean it up. There is no excuse for having relentless foul mouthed trash talking taking precedence over relaying basic information such as the score - which btw, neither of them mentioned or had any clue to what it was for the entire time they were in the booth.

Would you expect anything less from Scott Frost?

yobagua

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Blackjack I have been in agreement with you many times but not here. This is the ACTION report. Action in my concept of things is GAMBLING. Like the sign says abouve the door at the Derby-No No Gambling. If you want no woofing or barking or no prop bets watch ESPN, Snooker (the gentlemands game), Carom, etc. The Action Report is the alternative to all of that. It harkens back to the days of Johnston City. It is American as apple pie. If you want to clean up the sport go to Dragon Productions and their 14.1 in Parsipanny. But this is the other side of the coin. We want to hear what the players are thinking and saying to each other. We want to be in on the life they are living. TAR does the closest to that possible. I want to see Cliff Joyner in action not some tuxedo and shirt collar. I want to see Monster John the road warrior play Tony COleman banks for $500 a game. I want to see Tony Watson play Richie Richeson in all nite action. I want to see the truth that lies in the underbelly of America. Why try to throw a pretty carpet over it. It will always exist as long as the dollar does.

Blackjack

Illuminati Blacksmack
Silver Member
yobagua said:
Blackjack I have been in agreement with you many times but not here. This is the ACTION report. Action in my concept of things is GAMBLING. Like the sign says abouve the door at the Derby-No No Gambling. If you want no woofing or barking or no prop bets watch ESPN, Snooker (the gentlemands game), Carom, etc. The Action Report is the alternative to all of that. It harkens back to the days of Johnston City. It is American as apple pie. If you want to clean up the sport go to Dragon Productions and their 14.1 in Parsipanny. But this is the other side of the coin. We want to hear what the players are thinking and saying to each other. We want to be in on the life they are living. TAR does the closest to that possible. I want to see Cliff Joyner in action not some tuxedo and shirt collar. I want to see Monster John the road warrior play Tony COleman banks for $500 a game. I want to see Tony Watson play Richie Richeson in all nite action. I want to see the truth that lies in the underbelly of America. Why try to throw a pretty carpet over it. It will always exist as long as the dollar does.

I said it earlier and you obviously did not comprehend a word of it... big money won't touch that type of COMMENTARY with a 10 foot pole.

What the hell are you talking about?

I didn't say anything about action being bad.

I didn't say anything about gambling being bad.

I didn't say anything about 14.1 in Parsipanny or Dragon Promotions.

(Thanks for giving me directions on where I should spend my time) :rolleyes:

If you got any of that from my post, I don't know what you were reading.

My comments were directed at the childishness that myself and 900 others were subjected to while we were trying to enjoy some of that action. I'm all for a little woofing here and there, as long as they keep up with what is going on at the table. They didn't do that. What they did was draw attention AWAY from what was going on at the table and nobody knew what the score was except a few people in the chat room. That is completely unprofessional and it reflects poorly upon everyone involved, sadly this includes TAR.

I'm not saying that be mean.

I'm not saying that to sound like a prude.

I' saying it because that is exactly how that type of behavior will be judged by people that live on the outside of the "bubble" known as the microcosm of the pool world. Like it or not, that's reality.

I support everything that TAR is doing. All I am saying is that they would be doing themselves a disservice by allowing that type of behavior to continue in their broadcasts. Its a minor problem that they could fixed in a heartbeat - just ask the guys to be professional. I'm all for action - but cussing, being ugly, disrespectful, and immature will reflect poorly on the entire game - not just the guys playing around in the booth.

Last edited:

kryptonite9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I agree with BlackJack. He did not say to remove woofing, game making, gambling, even "colorful" comments from the TAR site. If it happens in the room it happens in the room. What he is saying is take it out of the commentary box. The people commentating are a representation of your product and can be controlled by the people who run it, the action in the room which at times can be very entertaining is not under that same controll. Poker tournaments have rants, woofing, self promotion but not by the people in the booth.

I also could do without hearing how good every player is and how he matches up. Please talk about the match, the tournament, the other action in the room. An occasional ME story is fine, but over and over. I ended up turning off the sound during the Shane/Hen match because everybody in the booth bet Shane's side and that is all they were talking about.

Put a colorful guy and a play by play guy in the box, no other mix. I love all the people that commentate for these matches. Frost, Bartrum, Billy, Danny D., Putnam etc but the wrong mix makes it unbearable to listen to. You would not put two John Maddens in for MNF.

TAR Please keep this up. Also take the suggestions here as constructive critcism. This post is asking how to make it better, well that is what you are getting. ;)

yobagua

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I see what you are saying Blackjack. I guess I was responding to the kind of criticism Ive heard of TAR. People being unappreciative of the work those guys do. Ive been here since the start of the Derby and these guys are beat working round the clock to give us the fans a venue to this event. They are working hard and selflessly. The criticism that I hear are the most inane.
Now as far as the commentary I agree it can be improved but I dont know if I want big money or media to touch TAR. I want a pure unadulterated inside of the Action world. I dont want a sanitized version just to be more acceptable and commercial. I dont want that kind of commentary. Thats me.
Now I apologize if I misinterpreted your post. However I dont think that TAR is trying to upgrade the sport but give us a report on Action and to create some. When I brought up the other venues I was talking about those events that are trying to be more acceptable and commercial. I think thats far away from what TAR represents. I may be wrong but it is my opinion.