What would entice you to spend money on a TAR (The Action Report) stream?

worriedbeef

The Voice of Reason
Silver Member
i see what blackjack is saying but i'm not sure i agree. providing informative commentary on the games and discussing shot selection is not nessecarilly the idea behind this coverage of the DCC. they've shoved a camera in the GAMBLING room inside which there are thousands and thousands of pounds and hundreds of huge ego's wanting to beat each other for the cash and banter away till the early morning. they're just putting a few people behind the mic, some pro's, some az'ers, some of the commentary intelligent, some of it just mindless banter and chat.

but that's the idea behind it. i don't think they're trying to revolutionise the sport and smarten it up. personally i've loved every minute of the coverage. it's made me feel like i've been there, and just being able to chat with some of the pro's and have them talk and banter with us a bit has been great. if i wanted high brow discussion on a match i would watch an accu-stats video.

the PPV is a different kettle of fish. they deliver here, no problems.

tpdtom

Really Old School
Silver Member
I'm deviating from the current focus of the thread to return to the original question of the thread. "What would entice you to spend money on a TAR (The Action Report) stream? "

All along I've said, SVB vs Francisco Bustamante ! Well, it's happening tonight ! It wasn't scheduled. It was rumored, but it's happening tonight around midnight! Race to 30 in 10 Ball for a reported 5K. The PPV is $15. Go to www.theactionreport.com and pay with Paypal...Tom

smokeandapancak

what?
Silver Member
Yesterday while I watching the live stream SPiderWeb was in the booth with Fred and the converstaion turned to this thread. Spidey was a little bothered by the fact that some were insulted or putt off by his use of the word "shit".. he was also defending TAR by saying that they already have big plans and a vision for the path they want thier product to go.

I would certainly hope so , and I dont doubt it for a sec....
I dont think this thread was meant to bag on those guys, the intent of most of the posts are to help.

Do you know how much money compianies spend on FOCUS groups. groups where folks just sit around and ***** about this and that....
TONS of cash.. just so they listen to people talk about their experinces as a consumer.

TAR should take the bad with good and be thankful that have a forum full of their customers willing to run off at the mouth... :D

yobagua

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Well I think I owe some of you an apology. During last nites match with Shane and Alex two of the most premier players in the world, the commentating was the worst Ive ever heard. I actually was disgusted and just turned it off and went to bed reading Card Player magazine.
John Schmidt, Darren Appleton, Bobby Hunter, was on. John and Darren just kept blithering on about this and that not even knowing if there was a game on. At one point someone said the score is 10 to 7 and John said who's winning! See how much Im watching the game. Then they brought Jeannette on and the party just went from there. Here is one of the most exciting matches in pool and these self absorbed egos were just going on about their thoughts on the pool world and god how good you look girl.
We the audience were left with ourselves to try and figure out what was going on. I tried to turn the sound off but the picture was so jerky that I couldnt follow the game. I wouldnt mind technical difficulties if there was someone to keep me in the loop about the game. But there was absolutely no one interested in nothing but what they wanted to hear themselves say. Giving short shrift to a very exciting match up.

the420trooper

Free T-Rex
Silver Member
I liked hearing from Shawn Putnam and Charlie Bryant. They were definitely among the most knowledgeable, but they had the respect and civility that most others lacked. Does anyone remember Tony Chohan saying "Look at this idiot," when Hennessey missed a ball? That's not cool, and his partner, Scott Frost was just as bad. It really makes me long for the reasoned, professional analysis of an Incardona or a Buddy Hall.

punter

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I tend to agree for the most part that some of the commentary could be better. But realize, this is on the FREE stream. TAR usually puts together some more experienced guys on the PPV. I'm sure none of these guys on the free stream are getting paid, so TAR is trying to get some name players to commentate and give some interviews. I appreciate being able to hear from these players and even more, to see the action TAR has shown. Most of the announcers in the booth on the free stream are doing their best, commenting for 8+ hours I'm sure is not easy. Others are just being themselves, probably without much thought on how it reflects on things as far as being a saleable product in the future. In any event, I appreciate the coverage, thanks TAR.

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
I loved the commentary of Bob Hunter and Jeanette Lee during the Shane-Alex match. Their analysis was excellent and they were hilarious together. John Schmidt sat in with them and so did I. These two should team up more often.

The DVD is worth buying to listen to them go at it. Not to mention it's a great match with a little bit of everything. I said it had to go hill-hill and it did.

My hat's off to the boys at TAR for this dream team of Jeanette and Bob together in the booth. I listened on a head set for a while before getting into the booth with them. I was totally cracking up!

JesPiddlin

Designed by Mother Nature
Silver Member
BPG24 said:
Nice to see someone understands the power of being positive towards people.

The other thread makes TAR look bad IMO... Offering everyone an awesome service for free and then trying to make people feel bad for watching it without paying is just awful. Really rubbed me wrong.

I have every intention of buying any PPV that they put on as long as I agree with the price and the matchup is one that I want to see. I would buy alot more of them if they could easily be recorded. Purchasing something like this and being able to watch it at our convenience would be a huge plus...

The all week for $25 is a good idea, It would draw alot of viewers and 25x200 or more adds up fast.

Getting players to commentate on matches is great, i just wish they would do it without talking trash about the guy that they aren't betting on.

The DVD prices are currently too high for me, i think the prices will go down after they recover their expenses

More to come

I pretty much agree with this. If I am interested in the match, have available time when the match is scheduled, and the commentary is primarily about the match with other stuff added in, it would be worth paying for. Even if I don't understand the game they are playing, as long as the commentators are explaining some of the shots and strategy, I could learn the game from a strategic point of view. THAT would be worth paying for.

The only thing I would suggest is that the freebie version be the same thing as the PPV version, but in a lighter mode... maybe less important matches and a little lighter on the game focus. The freebie version can easily sell or kill the PPV version, just by what it portrays to the viewing public.

In case it matters, I saw and heard some pretty disgusting things on the freebie chat and microphone, one night. Was considering the PPV version, until that. I closed the browser and haven't been back. Usually, a freebie version of something gives a good idea what the pay version is like (and how well it is policed is a good indication of the morals of the folks running the deal) and none of us here were interested in THAT. If it's been cleaned up a good bit, then I am glad and would consider the PPV version. It will be a while until I go back to see, though. I was looking forward to some of the PPV stuff coming, but am not in a hurry to pay for things that disgust me.

KMRUNOUT

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
First of all, let me say that I really appreciate what TAR is doing, and love the idea. However, the following would be required for me to spend money on this: (what I say is based on my experience with the free feed)

1) The video quality was poor at best. The feed froze frequently. When it didn't freeze, it was at a terrible frame rate. I would need to see 30 frames per second, with a better clarity. The primary interest for me in watching pro pool is to witness the stroke of a pro player in action and see how the balls behave. You really cannot get a sense of any sort of stroke with this level of video quality.

2) The camera should involve more "work". Without zooming at least, it is hard to appreciate the subtleties of each shot. Also, it was challenging to see all the action, especially when the shooter was in the forground.

3) The rest was fine. Not all of the commentary was especially great. I have grown accustomed to Billy Incardona on Accu-Stats, and feel that he is now the standard by which others will be measured. Still, I don't care that much about this. As long as there is any reasonable commentary I would be happy. (And I thought there was-so ok here by me)

So, this really shows how the quality of the free feed speaks for the PPV feed. I don't know what the difference is, but based on the free feed, I didn't find out.

I will certainly tune in more to see what improvements are made. This stuff should be things you guys can work out and I'm sure you will.

Thanks again,
KMRUNOUT

JesPiddlin

Silver Member
SpiderWebComm said:
I'll throw your same quote back at you. More than 50 out of 1000 people buy the PPV, the more money TAR gets, the easier it is to kick me and the others out of the booth and get a real commentator -- someone paid. It's a chicken or the egg thing at the beginning of everything. Sometimes you have to support stuff that isn't perfect to make it perfect in the long run. TAR doesn't need AZ posts to know how to improve their product (sorry for running through your bubble garden with a pin). They have visionary ideas with this streaming, they're just trying to cover expenses and flip the cash into product improvement. It is what it is because of the minimal revenue collected at this point - not because they don't know what to do.

Many people of here have really done a fine job supporting them. I was around when a few people donated cash, bought a few t-shirts and signed up for the PPV. For those who supported them with donations and purchases, you understand what I'm saying. Those who are logging in for free saying they'd never buy it because of this and that, well, have fun reading text messages on match updates in the future if it doesn't fly.

Like others love throwing around..... "IMO"

Actually, I believe the first post in this thread ASKS for IMO responses and wants to know what would make it "buyable". That's just good business. If you can find out what the target audience wants, it's easier to please them and it costs a lot less than wandering around in the dark with hit-and-miss stuff.

As for you being commentator, I still stand where I was before. You'd be great enough to pay, if you'd apply yourself to it. You've got lots of potential, but it all depends on whether you have enough pride in yourself to try for more. Or, whether you even care, because it's possible that you really don't care. If that's the case, it's a real shame. The pool world could use some really good commentators.

Regarding how much impact the freebie stuff has on the PPV stuff...

If you're going to buy a $1000 pure-bred dog and you see a filthy, scraggly dog outside the house when you get there, you're probably just going to drive on by.

Last edited:

BAR BOX HATER

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The Action Report Rocks!!!!!
Haters Suck!!!
Maybe You Nerdy Computer Geeks Could Go Help!! Instead Of *****ing Here Endlessly!!
These Guys Are So New, When Was The First Match A Few Months Ago? What Do You Expect From Pool Players Risking Their Own Bankrolls To Bring This To Your Couch.
And If You Are Whining About The Commentary. You Should Go Back To Playing Computer Pool. Oops The 9 Ball Game On My Cell Phone Talks Trash. Maybe You Should Just Quit Forever!!!

Thank You Action Report

9balllvr

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
BAR BOX HATER said:
Haters Suck!!!
Maybe You Nerdy Computer Geeks Could Go Help!! Instead Of *****ing Here Endlessly!!
These Guys Are So New, When Was The First Match A Few Months Ago? What Do You Expect From Pool Players Risking Their Own Bankrolls To Bring This To Your Couch.
And If You Are Whining About The Commentary. You Should Go Back To Playing Computer Pool. Oops The 9 Ball Game On My Cell Phone Talks Trash. Maybe You Should Just Quit Forever!!!

Thank You Action Report

you missed the entire thread purpose altogether. one of the other threads on the forum was shaming everyone for not participating in the PPV. someone thought they would start a thread asking why that was, thus, that is where we are now. i think just about everyone commends TAR for doing what they do, i for one do. i think that everyone understands that they are just starting up. many of us want them to succeed, that is why we offer up our thoughts. we could just not watch, then they wouldn't be anywhere anyway. as i mentioned, i have enjoyed the streaming quite a bit over the last week or so, it allowed me to be there when i was not. the good outweighed the bad in my opinion, but the "bad" was mentioned to be helpful and to see the guys prosper. if i owned a business, i would like to have feedback as well. when you work for a company, you receive reviews do you not? you don't ask for them, they offer them to you. this thread is a real advantage for TAR to see what people are thinking, that is how it should be used.

ShootingArts

Smorg is giving St Peter the 7!
Gold Member
Silver Member
"truth statements"

Many moons ago I had to put together truth statements. You assemble the facts and they lead to an inevitable conclusion.

A. self proclaimed Bar Box Hater
B. States Haters Suck!!!
Conclusion: :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

I always find it funny when people's messages and handles or tag lines get them into ridiculous positions.

Hu

BAR BOX HATER said:
Haters Suck!!!

Thank You Action Report

BAR BOX HATER

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
ShootingArts said:
Many moons ago I had to put together truth statements. You assemble the facts and they lead to an inevitable conclusion.

A. self proclaimed Bar Box Hater
B. States Haters Suck!!!
Conclusion: :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

I always find it funny when people's messages and handles or tag lines get them into ridiculous positions.

Hu[/QUOTe
i play on the bar box often, i prefer 9' tables as i feel the bar scene has perpetuated the the nevative public opinion of the greatest game on earth!

BPG24

Banned
jay helfert said:
I loved the commentary of Bob Hunter and Jeanette Lee during the Shane-Alex match. Their analysis was excellent and they were hilarious together. John Schmidt sat in with them and so did I. These two should team up more often.

The DVD is worth buying to listen to them go at it. Not to mention it's a great match with a little bit of everything. I said it had to go hill-hill and it did.

My hat's off to the boys at TAR for this dream team of Jeanette and Bob together in the booth. I listened on a head set for a while before getting into the booth with them. I was totally cracking up!

I AM SURE IT WOULD HAVE BEEN NICE TO HEAR THAT COMMENTARY AND ACTUALLY SEE THE MATCH... THE FEED WAS SO BAD THAT I HAD TO REFRESH EVERY FEW SECONDS.

WAS ALSO DISSAPOINTED THAT THE BUSTA PPV DIDN'T GO DOWN. HE IS MY FAVORITE PLAYER AND SEEING HIM PLAY SHANE A RACE TO 30 FOR $15 WAS FAIR IMO

JesPiddlin

Silver Member
BAR BOX HATER said:
... What Do You Expect From Pool Players Risking Their Own Bankrolls To Bring This To Your Couch...

It would be really nice if this was brought to my couch, as the metal folding chair I sit in to watch my computer monitor is pretty durned uncomfortable. I think someone forgot my couch when they were "risking their own bankrolls."

Last edited: