What would you do here?

Playing 9 Ball: In which pocket would you try to shoot the seven ball?

• A

Votes: 22 14.4%
  • B

Votes: 15 9.8%
  • C

Votes: 63 41.2%
  • D

Votes: 5 3.3%
  • E

Votes: 65 42.5%

• Total voters

The_JV

'AZB_Combat Certified'
Ball in hand is a different proposition in this case because it equates to perfect position on a pretty tight landing zone. Maybe a realistic expectation for some here, but as someone a bit closer to the speed of the average banger out there, I’m looking at the odds…
I'd play it the same way... It's the best pattern regardless.
Given perfect position. E works best, but miss shape and you’re toast. By comparing the shape zone of E to A, or any other single pocket strikes me as a bit shortsighted. While I’m certainly playing for a specific shape, I’m also looking at the fact that if I miss my shape on, say A, I still have options with B, C, or D. The landing zone for those 4 pockets combined, is a lot more generous than that of E alone…
Sorry but this is really overstating what's required for the E pattern. It does contain an element of obstruction, but it is extremely easy to get to the 7. The margin for error AND to end up playing the same shot is far greater than the other options. Those staying below the 7 are scrambling to recover in different pockets if they screw up and miss the intended shape. Those playing the E pattern simply adjust the amount of spin they use to reach the 8, without any doubt of having an angle to reach the 9.

As stated earlier, even if you really over run the shape to E you still have the option to straight draw back up table. That's normally more comfortable a play for bangers then heavy follow required to play through the 7 up table.

Last edited:

alstl

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I see what you’re saying, but if you can’t get good on the 7 for E, how do you expect to get on the 8 with a harder shot in the 7?
None of those options are difficult for a decent player but I see the possibility of coming up short and getting snookered playing for E. A is easier, just don't overrun position. C is just speed control to get an angle on the 8. If you can't make that shot you aren't going to run out with any of the other options. For me, eliminate the snooker and take a safer route.

easy-e

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
None of those options are difficult for a decent player but I see the possibility of coming up short and getting snookered playing for E. A is easier, just don't overrun position. C is just speed control to get an angle on the 8. If you can't make that shot you aren't going to run out with any of the other options. For me, eliminate the snooker and take a safer route.
I usually tend to avoid any chance of a snooker too. But in this shot, you’d have to hit it so bad to get hooked by the 9.

lastdimetaker

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hello guys,

I am doing some research for a possible future video. Could you give me your vote on the pocket of your choice for the seven ball? I allowed to choose multiple pockets, in case you are trying to have multiple options depending on your accuracy in cue ball control.

This is the 9 Ball situation you're facing:

View attachment 603295
I voted for c because I have better speed control using follow and it looks like it would be the highest percentage to get position to get on 8 to get to the 9 with my abilities. I'm not SVB .

JC

Coos Cues
I voted for c because I have better speed control using follow and it looks like it would be the highest percentage to get position to get on 8 to get to the 9 with my abilities. I'm not SVB .
Set it up and shoot it some. It's not so easy to get the kind of exacting shape on the seven for the far corner, leaving the proper angle or lack there of to get on the 8. The shape zone for this pattern is extremely minute from the 6 to the 7.

ChrisinNC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think the follow up question is with ball in hand where do you play the 7 ?😉
Ball-in-hand on the 6 would certainly change my decision for the pocket to play the 7 from pocket E to pocket C. Keeping it simple, I would play the stop shot on the 6, leaving the 7 straight in to pocket C. If I need to draw it or follow it 1-inch to get that straight in shot on the 7, with ball-in-hand, that shouldn’t be a problem.

Being straight in on the 7 and only 1 foot behind it, playing to pocket C which is 6-1/2 feet away wouldn’t concern me. Then simply following the cue ball down to between the 1st and 2nd rail sight, making sure I don’t end up with the cue ball too close to the side rail, would leave an ideal angle for an easy shot to pocket the 8 and get back up table for an easy shot on the 9.

Last edited:

JC

Coos Cues
Ball-in-hand on the 6 would certainly change my decision for the pocket to play the 7 from pocket E to pocket C. Keeping it simple, I would play the stop shot on the 6, leaving the 7 straight in to pocket C. If I need to draw it or follow it 1-inch to get that straight in shot on the 7, with ball-in-hand, that shouldn’t be a problem.

Being straight in on the 7 and only 1 foot behind it, playing to pocket C 7-feet away wouldn’t concern me. Then simply following the cue ball down to +\- the 2nd rail sight, making sure I don’t end up with the cue ball too close to the side rail, would leave an ideal angle for an easy shot to pocket the 8 and get back up table for an easy shot on the 9.
This is just getting silly now.

Ball in hand you set up a slight cut angle to the left on the six and roll ahead and over to and off of the side rail to shape for the 7 in E. It simply doesn't get any easier than this. You are rolling straight into the heart of the shape zone.

In fact I can't believe anyone who has ever played or watched a rotation game would come up with anything else.

ChrisinNC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
This is just getting silly now.

Ball in hand you set up a slight cut angle to the left on the six and roll ahead and over to and off of the side rail to shape for the 7 in E. It simply doesn't get any easier than this. You are rolling straight into the heart of the shape zone.

In fact I can't believe anyone who has ever played or watched a rotation game would come up with anything else.
To each his own, but I’d guess I’m not alone in choosing to play it the way I suggest, with ball-in-hand on the 6-ball, and I’ve played 9-ball for nearly 50 years.

I generally would play shape to play an object ball in the corner pocket it lies closest to, but for simplicity, I think I would shoot the stop shot to play the straight in 7-ball down the table, with follow.

Last edited:

Lawnboy77

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
To each his own, but I’d guess I’m not alone in choosing to play it the way I suggest, with ball-in-hand on the 6-ball, and I’ve played 9-ball for nearly 50 years.

I generally would play shape to play an object ball in the corner pocket it lies closest to, but for simplicity, I think I would shoot the stop shot to play the straight in 7-ball down the table, with follow.
With all due respect Chris, In this scenario on a commercial 9 ft. table when you play the stop shot on the 6 to get the 7 straight in for corner pocket "C" and play follow all the way up for an angle on the 8 you are basically creating a shot worthy of a Mosconi Cup players drill. You are very closely attempting a shot that Cory Duell introduced for his team to practice a few years ago where 4 balls are placed diagonally from each other and they would all shoot those full length of table shots in a criss-cross pattern and try and make the CB follow the OB into the corner pocket, I think it was called the "X" drill. Except his drill really didn't involve the speed aspect, since it involves intentionally scratching, your shot on the other hand will need to stop a foot, or so short of scratching for a nice angle on the 8, so IMHO you are basically shooting a shot somewhat more challenging than Cory's "X" drill. If you notice, Sharivari didn't even discuss the pocket "C" scenario in his video of his choices, maybe I missed it, someone feel free to correct me if I'm wrong. Isn't the pocket "C" option leading the vote?

Anyway I've enjoyed this discussion. I have especially enjoyed the drill of attempting the various options. Sharivari...thanks again Sir!

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
I always enjoy the WWYD threads. Lots a of varying opinions and it gives you sense of poster's spd.
I wish there were more.

Onepocket.org has a custom of starting all WWYD thread titles with "WWYD" - for example this one might be titled "WWYD - last 4 in 9-ball". Makes 'em stand out and get more participation. I think they're the most popular kind of thread on that forum.

pj
chgo

ChrisinNC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
With all due respect Chris, In this scenario on a commercial 9 ft. table when you play the stop shot on the 6 to get the 7 straight in for corner pocket "C" and play follow all the way up for an angle on the 8 you are basically creating a shot worthy of a Mosconi Cup players drill. You are very closely attempting a shot that Cory Duell introduced for his team to practice a few years ago where 4 balls are placed diagonally from each other and they would all shoot those full length of table shots in a criss-cross pattern and try and make the CB follow the OB into the corner pocket, I think it was called the "X" drill. Except his drill really didn't involve the speed aspect, since it involves intentionally scratching, your shot on the other hand will need to stop a foot, or so short of scratching for a nice angle on the 8, so IMHO you are basically shooting a shot somewhat more challenging than Cory's "X" drill. If you notice, Sharivari didn't even discuss the pocket "C" scenario in his video of his choices, maybe I missed it, someone feel free to correct me if I'm wrong. Isn't the pocket "C" option leading the vote?

Anyway I've enjoyed this discussion. I have especially enjoyed the drill of attempting the various options. Sharivari...thanks again Sir!
His initial scenario question was not with ball-in-hand on the 6, which is the question I was responding to. I chose pocket E for that situation, with the angle that was presented on the 6.

As far as if I had ball-in-hand on the 6, in a pressure situation in what could be a hill-hill match game, I believe I would choose the stop shot option leading to the straight in shot on the 7, feeling confident that I could execute the follow shot to end up between 8 inches and 24 inches (an 18 inch window) short of the end rail / corner pocket.

Now if the table I was on in that situation had any tighter than 4-1/2” Diamond tour cut corners, I would likely not choose to play the 7 ball to a pocket that was 6-1/2’ away, even if it was a straight in shot, with the cue ball 12 inches behind the 7.

Last edited:

mohrt

Student of the Game
Silver Member
I wish there were more.

Onepocket.org has a custom of starting all WWYD thread titles with "WWYD" - for example this one might be titled "WWYD - last 4 in 9-ball". Makes 'em stand out and get more participation. I think they're the most popular kind of thread on that forum.

pj
chgo

Sure miss Freddy.

alphadog

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I only proposed ball in hand on the 7 because some were advocating playing the 7 in multiple pockets as they seemed uncertain of their ability to get better then "area" shape.
So that should simplify which pocket for the 7?

easy-e

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Being straight in on the 7 and only 1 foot behind it, playing to pocket C which is 6-1/2 feet away wouldn’t concern me. Then simply following the cue ball down to between the 1st and 2nd rail sight, making sure I don’t end up with the cue ball too close to the side rail, would leave an ideal angle for an easy shot to pocket the 8 and get back up table for an easy shot on the 9.
I read his post differently. When he said "What would you do with BIH, I assumed he meant he'd be playing a safety. Maybe he banks the 6 two rails and tries to snug the cue ball up to the 7 & 9.

cueman

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
E is easiest to get shape on the 8 from. But it is easiest to get hooked behind the nine. A allows the easiest path to the 8 ball without having to play real precision shape on the 7. So I voted for A.

ChrisinNC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I read his post differently. When he said "What would you do with BIH, I assumed he meant he'd be playing a safety. Maybe he banks the 6 two rails and tries to snug the cue ball up to the 7 & 9.
Not sure why you would play safe with BIH on the 6, but yes, I would do the same, but just make sure you don’t tie up the 6 too close to the 8, which could complicate the run out.

easy-e

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Not sure why you would play safe with BIH on the 6, but yes, I would do the same, but just make sure you don’t tie up the 6 too close to the 8, which could complicate the run out.
I thought he was saying he would play safe with the ball in the position in the diagram, hoping to GET ball in hand.