What would you do here?

Playing 9 Ball: In which pocket would you try to shoot the seven ball?

• A

Votes: 22 14.4%
  • B

Votes: 15 9.8%
  • C

Votes: 63 41.2%
  • D

Votes: 5 3.3%
  • E

Votes: 65 42.5%

• Total voters

JC

Coos Cues
That's actually the best aspect of that pattern. Versatility.... Regardless if you come up a little short or a little long, it's still the same shot with a little tweak with the same type of spin. ...and the gap between short/long is largest of all your options.

This highlights the problem with all the other options.., the lack of versatility. If you blow passed or fall short of your intended shape on the 7, you now need to hope you get good enough on your alternative pockets to recover with a high precentage.
The other thing a lot of people aren't seeing here who haven't taken this to the table is that although the 6 is pretty straight it's not so straight that you can put a stop shot on it and hold for the 7 in it's tracks. It will stun toward the rail unless you really baby it and we all know not to do that. Leaving you longer from the 7 with the cue ball than you will like to put a good follow stroke on. And very likely off line left or right too.

Try it you will hate it.

ChrisinNC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If you can’t shoot the seven up into either corner because you are concerned with missing the pockets then you might have bigger problems than trying to run out this rack.

Sent from my iPad using AzBilliards Forums
Yes, I will admit that until I find my stroke and confidence which may come after a few hours of playing, long shots like that are to be avoided if I have an alternate option that requires going a couple of cushions with spin and speed control which leads to an easier shorter shot I’d have far more confidence in executing. See how you like those all the way down he table shots when you’re 65!

BC21

https://www.playpoolbetter.com
Gold Member
Silver Member
The other thing a lot of people aren't seeing here who haven't taken this to the table is that although the 6 is pretty straight it's not so straight that you can put a stop shot on it and hold for the 7 in it's tracks. It will stun toward the rail unless you really baby it and we all know not to do that. Leaving you longer from the 7 with the cue ball than you will like to put a good follow stroke on. And very likely off line left or right too.

Try it you will hate it.

Yep. And playing that 6 with straight top gets you a good shot on the 7 with room for error. You don't need inside spin on this shot, and that makes it even more favorable for position on the 7.

ThinSlice

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yes, I will admit that until I find my stroke and confidence which may come after a few hours of playing, long shots like that are to be avoided if I have an alternate option that requires going a couple of cushions with spin and speed control which leads to an easier shorter shot I’d have far more confidence in executing. See how you like those all the way down he table shots when you’re 65!

Haha! I get it. I am creeping up on that age. If you get straight on that 7 you will be drawing with control. How’s your control? I don’t see the advantages of shooting the 7 in the lower corner. Too many things can go wrong. You have option if you take it up table. Might me long but you have options. You don’t get good shape on the 7 and you end that run right then and there.

Sent from my iPhone using AzBilliards Forums

ThinSlice

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Try it you will hate it.

Tried it and ran out the first time.

Sent from my iPhone using AzBilliards Forums

cueman

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I seriously can't believe anyone can look at those comparisons and chose a pocket other than E?
1. You're playing for A or D, you're not playing on tight pockets, I can tell you that right now.
2. You're playing for B, your speed control better be perfect, which is also true of A. Small errors in direction or speed will spell disaster in both these shots. With this length of travel, you don't need to be off by more than a fraction of a tip or just a little bit off on your speed. You can scratch, land on the rail, land straight in or come up short. Depending on your angle from the 6 you can end up on top of the 8 as well.
3. C and D are just a nightmares overall. You miss your position window by even a fraction, either way, the position can become from very difficult to downright impossible to pull off consistently. The side pocket can get in your way, you may have to shoot with speed with spins that many players are unfamiliar with. Stun run through, with sidespin, long distance....Yeah, I don't think any sub 600 fargos are pulling those shots off consistently. I'll be happy to be proven wrong.

I'm not saying I, or any other moderately competent recreational player can't pull these shots off. I'm saying that with a 100 tries, the successrate (given time between attempts to avoid "dialing in") is not even going to be close to that of E. With dialing in, it will still be pretty clear, I think. I'm also saying that some of you might be surprised at how difficult these shots can actually be on a normally tight (not gaffy) table.

"Insurance position" is a useful concept. Sometimes, like in real life insurance situations, the insurance is not as good as you thought it was. The very thing you needed has been carefully and precisely removed by skilled statisticians in a way that exempt you from compensation unexpectedly. Bad luck and pool Gods do this work in pool.
That nine is a really big blocker for shape on pocket E. If you go long then there is no good path to shape on the eight. Pocket A is not that tight, but i do agree pocket D is too tight.

JC

Coos Cues
That nine is a really big blocker for shape on pocket E. If you go long then there is no good path to shape on the eight. Pocket A is not that tight, but i do agree pocket D is too tight.
It's a big blocker but it's extremely hard to get blocked by it as the natural roll forward of the cue ball even without any inside will bring you clear of it out of that corner pocket. I set this up at least 100 times and not one time did I get blocked by the 9 ball. Some cuts steeper than I wanted but still very easy it just made it necessary to go two rails across and get shape on the opposite side of the 8 ball, but never hooked. Not once. You can manage somewhat long as you can draw it to the rail and down. Therefore the shape zone is huge and you're naturally entering it.

BC21

Gold Member
Silver Member
Another perspective...

pj
chgo

View attachment 604243

So a player must decide what is most likely to be successful -- getting the cb anywhere over there to shoot the 7 into E, which is a large window for position and leaves a natural angle leading toward the 8, or landing in a much smaller window for a decent shot into A, B, C, or D, and possibly having an off-angle shot on 7 and a more difficult position play to the 8.

With a few exceptions, I believe the more experienced players would choose the shot with a larger window for position and a simple risk-free path to the 8, while less experienced players would tend to play it the hard way thinking they were playing it safer because they'll have more options.

BC21

Gold Member
Silver Member
It's a big blocker but it's extremely hard to get blocked by it as the natural roll forward of the cue ball even without any inside will bring you clear of it out of that corner pocket. I set this up at least 100 times and not one time did I get blocked by the 9 ball. Some cuts steeper than I wanted but still very easy it just made it necessary to go two rails across and get shape on the opposite side of the 8 ball, but never hooked. Not once. You can manage somewhat long as you can draw it to the rail and down. Therefore the shape zone is huge and you're naturally entering it.

Yep... I shot about a dozen times trying different options. And my original impression (going for E) was the best option by far, for me. Even if you get upside down on the 7 (wrong side of the shot line) you can draw off the 9 and get to the 8. The window for position into E is so much bigger and more forgiving that the other options seem risky, despite having several pockets as "insurance ".

cueman

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Did you try stunning the cue ball for shape on pocket A? If so what was the success rate for that.

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
I believe the more experienced players would choose the shot with a larger window for position
I think the combined window for shots A-D is equally large and might offer more shot opportunities. Also, position on the 8 isn't risk free from anywhere.

pj
chgo

8intheside

Hello guys,

I am doing some research for a possible future video. Could you give me your vote on the pocket of your choice for the seven ball? I allowed to choose multiple pockets, in case you are trying to have multiple options depending on your accuracy in cue ball control.

This is the 9 Ball situation you're facing:

View attachment 603295
I would play the cueball to the middle diamond, and play the 7 in pocket C

The_JV

'AZB_Combat Certified'

Try it you will hate it.
Oh I know... I did hit this on my table, which is really slow so even easier to hold a light stop shot. I still would never play for any pocket than E. That said, I've always approached every shot like I can actually cash the cheque I'm about to write, and don't get caught up in the 'what if?' pessimism.

JC

Coos Cues
Did you try stunning the cue ball for shape on pocket A? If so what was the success rate for that.
No pocket A never even crossed my mind as a viable option. I guess that's just me I don't play shape for side pockets when corners are available. Been bit by too many titties.

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Man, you folks playing shape for the sides are either brave or broke. I use them as escape routes but i rarely play shape on a side pocket.
Withstupid⬆️

I'm in with the folks that go forward 2 rails and shoot the 7 in the lowerL) pictured pocket

The_JV

'AZB_Combat Certified'
How’s your control? I don’t see the advantages of shooting the 7 in the lower corner. Too many things can go wrong.
I find it interesting that you find many disadvantages to shooting into E but are seemingly oblivious to the pitfalls of attempting any of the other options. I'm assuming it's simply because you believe that screwing up your first option still allows for some other random option.

How about we do this... remove the 9 from the equation. Now there is no obstruction to fear. How do you play it...? I know all those who would originally opted for E would still play for E. Why is the 9 ball so terrifying when it's really inconsequential to the best pattern..?