What's hurt pool since I've been working in and around it for the last 34yrs.

The 5 1/8 is in the setup. LetGlen chime in and explain that. A lot of these hall owners don't know the difference and the people they hire probably don't either. That's not a table thing.

Sent from my iPhone using AzBilliards Forums

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
What difference does a 5" or 5 1/8" pocket make towards attracting a banger? (I know all about angles and such to make a pocket play harder or easier).

Sure, a banger wants to make balls. Unless the table is a "player's table", it will accept balls pretty easily.

Valley bar table have the easiest pockets in the world. Yet bars with one or two tables are often not played on. Years ago, there would be a line of quarters on the rail. That's proof right there that the pocket size doesn't matter.

Its not the equipment, or the rules. For whatever reason, the allure of the game no longer attracts new bangers in this year 2017.

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Debit cards and direct deposit pay requirements from employers put a ***** slap on pool too.

People are less likely to have cash and if they do, you don't wanna bet that in a given room, many are carrying more than a hundred.

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Debit cards and direct deposit pay requirements from employers put a ***** slap on pool too.

People are less likely to have cash and if they do, you don't wanna bet that in a given room, many are carrying more than a hundred.

I used to think this too for years. But in the past 3 or 4 years, everyone seems to have a digital wallet of some type on their phone. I've yet to see in person gambling paid that way, but I wonder if it will switch at some point. You could make the argument now that people have easier access to money, and access to a greater amount of money, at any given time, since they always have their phone with them.

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I used to think this too for years. But in the past 3 or 4 years, everyone seems to have a digital wallet of some type on their phone. I've yet to see in person gambling paid that way, but I wonder if it will switch at some point. You could make the argument now that people have easier access to money, and access to a greater amount of money, at any given time, since they always have their phone with them.

Until it starts getting used...it ain't in the conversation, imo.

poolguy4u

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
:frown:

What has hurt pool?

The war on drugs, video and listening devices, forfeiture, and snitches and *****es.

To add to that is the price of gas and no more $19.95 motel rooms.

All the play money has been sucked up by cops, the court system and the government.

It will never be like it was in the mid 1980's.

:shakehead:

jeffj2h

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
For the sake of argument, maybe Soccer is hurting pool.

John McEnroe has a new book out and I listened to the NPR interview of him. He said Soccer in schools hurts Tennis in schools. The reason? If you put in a soccer field you can have 20 kids running around, thinking they are doing something, with just a few coaches. But Tennis courts are more expensive to build, the game is more complex, requiring more expensive 1on1 interaction. And it's easier to find someone qualified to teach Soccer than Tennis.

All that seems to apply to Pool too.

That, and bar boxes.

mchnhed

I Came, I Shot, I Choked
Silver Member
IMO, what has hurt pool, is that there are fewer and fewer bangers that step foot in the pool hall.
Bangers are the ones who eventually turn into serious players.
Its all about attracting new bangers to the game.
They feed the funnel.
So the question is...

Why is it that new people don't try Pool?

Reputation?
Intimidation?
Exposure?
No youth programs?
No beginner's programs?
Too many entertainment choices?
Too hard?
Lack of commitment?

Last edited:

M.G.

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
So the question is...

Why is it new people don't try Pool?

Reputation?
Intimidation?
Exposure?
No youth programs?
No beginner's programs?
Too hard?
Lack of commitment?

Actually, in Germany a lot of people are trying pool. Even girls and young people.
They all disappear eventually.

First and foremost, most of the establishments are not really open, clean and friendly.
Depending on the venue it can come off as quite shady or family-like friendly.
So it's reputation, and this is not improved by all those rough and tuble hussler betting characters.

Then, there is no beginners introduction - even 5minutes would suffice, and then at later time again 5min, to see how they get along.
Other players also really don't give a shit about yougsters, they show them nothing, youngsters also do no ask.
There is zero exposure in schools, also to other billiard disciplines.

Lastly yes, too hard and lack of commitment. It takes months with weekly practise to get somewhere. Most youngsters are not used to staying on a topic and fighting for results and rewards. Their smartphone world has told them otherwise.

Cheers,
M

Low500

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Actually, in Germany a lot of people are trying pool. Even girls and young people.
They all disappear eventually.

First and foremost, most of the establishments are not really open, clean and friendly.
Depending on the venue it can come off as quite shady or family-like friendly.
So it's reputation, and this is not improved by all those rough and tumble hustler betting characters.<===hustlers are always on the prowl to shear a lamb and most have the diplomatic skills of a bulldozer.

Then, there is no beginners introduction - even 5minutes would suffice, and then at later time again 5min, to see how they get along.
Other players also really don't give a shit about yougsters, they show them nothing, youngsters also do no ask.
There is zero exposure in schools, also to other billiard disciplines.

Lastly yes, too hard and lack of commitment. It takes months with weekly practise to get somewhere. Most youngsters are not used to staying on a topic and fighting for results and rewards. Their smartphone world has told them otherwise.

Cheers,
M
In my opinion, I've highlighted in blue the things that are the biggest detractors from the game.
(loudmouth hustlers and blowhards just piss most people off)
You made a good post. :)

jojopiff

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
So the question is...

Why is it new people don't try Pool?

Reputation?
Intimidation?
Exposure?
No youth programs?
No beginner's programs?
Too hard?
Lack of commitment?

As I'm only 36 years old I missed what was evidently the mecca of pool, in the 70's or 80's or whenever. So for anyone who does know what on this list has changed since then?

Reputation? --- I doubt this has changed.
Intimidation? --- Possibly, as I believe were raising a society of kids who are terrified to fail, maybe trying something new IN PUBLIC WHERE EVERYONE CAN SEE IF THEY LOSE/FAIL.
Exposure? --- Not sure at all??
No youth programs? --- I doubt there were youth programs "back in the day", but again, I can't say with certainty.
No beginner's programs? --- See above answer
Too many entertainment choices? --- Also a good answer I believe.
Too hard? --- Don't think this can apply for why people don't try it. Absolutely a reason why people don't stick with it.
Lack of commitment? --- ???

Not directed at your or anyone...

To quote Frank Martin, Head Coach at South Carolina mens basketball:

"You know what makes me sick to my stomach? When I hear grown people say that kids have changed. Kids haven't changed. Kids don't know anything about anything. We've changed as adults. We demand less of kids. We expect less of kids. We make their lives easier instead of preparing them for what life is truly about. We're the ones that have changed."

So, in my opinion, the above quote is why there's less interest in pool. Pool is hard, really freaking hard. We haven't taught (many) kids work ethic. We haven't taught (many) kids that it's ok to fail, moreover, we haven't taught kids that failing is ABSOLUTELY ESSENTIAL if you're ever going to succeed. There's much, much more in this area but I digress.

Now, at the ripe old age of 36 I'm under no illusion that I'm, or many my age, are nearly as "tough" as our parents. And, our parents weren't as tough as their parents. And so on and so on.

Low500

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
As I'm only 36 years old I missed what was evidently the mecca of pool, in the 70's or 80's or whenever. So for anyone who does know what on this list has changed since then?

Reputation? --- I doubt this has changed.
Intimidation? --- Possibly, as I believe were raising a society of kids who are terrified to fail, maybe trying something new IN PUBLIC WHERE EVERYONE CAN SEE IF THEY LOSE/FAIL.
Exposure? --- Not sure at all??
No youth programs? --- I doubt there were youth programs "back in the day", but again, I can't say with certainty.
No beginner's programs? --- See above answer
Too many entertainment choices? --- Also a good answer I believe.
Too hard? --- Don't think this can apply for why people don't try it. Absolutely a reason why people don't stick with it.
Lack of commitment? --- ???

Not directed at your or anyone...

To quote Frank Martin, Head Coach at South Carolina mens basketball:

"You know what makes me sick to my stomach? When I hear grown people say that kids have changed. Kids haven't changed. Kids don't know anything about anything. We've changed as adults. We demand less of kids. We expect less of kids. We make their lives easier instead of preparing them for what life is truly about. We're the ones that have changed."

So, in my opinion, the above quote is why there's less interest in pool. Pool is hard, really freaking hard. We haven't taught (many) kids work ethic. We haven't taught (many) kids that it's ok to fail, moreover, we haven't taught kids that failing is ABSOLUTELY ESSENTIAL if you're ever going to succeed. There's much, much more in this area but I digress.
Now, at the ripe old age of 36 I'm under no illusion that I'm, or many my age, are nearly as "tough" as our parents. And, our parents weren't as tough as their parents. And so on and so on.
You nailed it. :thumbup:

MitchAlsup

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
A) Worsted woolen cloths, ie; Simonis, Championship and all the rest. Been using Simonis since 1971--so if Simonis hurt pool over the last 34 years, its been hurting for a lot longer than that.

B) Racking aids. Yes, these suck, big time

C) Jump cues. Adds a degree of excitement, makes safeties harder to play

D) Double elimination tournaments. When only 1/2 as many players show us, a DE torney makes it look like all of them showed up.

E) Shorter races. Err, no: wrong game.

I) Aramith pool ball manufacturing. Why?

J) Cell phones. I play people all the time, between shots they use their cell phone. I call these people Victims--their mind is never in the game

M) Tighter pockets. This turns off up and coming players.

N) Constantly changing rules for play. --THis--

O) Alternating breaks. If someone has not missed a ball, why should the inning be relinquished to the other player?

TurboDraw

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
A) Worsted woolen cloths, ie; Simonis, Championship and all the rest.
B) Racking aids.
C) Jump cues.
D) Double elimination tournaments.
E) Shorter races.
F) No Pro player division.
G) No Semi Pro division.
H) Pool table manufactures.
I) Aramith pool ball manufacturing.
J) Cell phones.
K) The internet.
L) Tournament promoters.
M) Tighter pockets.
N) Constantly changing rules for play.
O) Alternating breaks.

I could go on and on, but i think I've listed enough to get some good conversations started and to bring in the trolls as well.

geez, this is a Glen special, here we are into the 3rd page of this thread and nobody has posted the one thing that could be nearest and dearest to the Mighty RKC...:grin:

TABLE MECHANICS :eek: :eek:

mchnhed

I Came, I Shot, I Choked
Silver Member
The Internet is my favorite reason on that list

Television is what has been killing Billiards and Bowling since it was invented.

Honestly Pool was already dying a slow death after WWII.

From 1878 until 1956, pool and billiard championship tournaments were held almost annually, with one-on-one challenge matches filling the remaining months.
At times, including during the Civil War, billiard results received wider coverage than war news. Players were so renowned that cigarette cards were issued featuring them.
Pool went to war several times as a popular recreation for the troops. Professional players toured military posts giving exhibitions; some even worked in the defense Industry.
But the game had more trouble emerging from World War II than it had getting into it. Returning soldiers were in a mood to buy houses and build careers, and the charm of an afternoon spent at the pool table was a thing of the past.
Room after room closed quietly and by the end of the 1950’s it looked as though the game might pass into oblivion.

Last edited: