What's hurt pool since I've been working in and around it for the last 34yrs.

easy-e

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Xbox and playstations. Is what hurt pool and among other things in our lives. Kids live on these things. I remember when they first came out. Asteroids and Space Invaders. Then all of a sudden the technology became better. The graphics phenomenal these kids are getting hooked on these violent games and even little stupid ones. And that's all the kids did play goddamn games. And then we got our freaking cell phones social media selfies it's out of control and mom and dad let it happen. And then the price of it all the new game every month . new release had to have it.no one's going to save up for a pool cue upgrade to the newest system. I believe technology has hurt a lot more than just pool. Granted it has its place technology that is.

I totally agree with you on this one. Once this internet fad is over, pool will finally be back on top!:thumbup:

mchnhed

I Came, I Shot, I Choked
Silver Member
Video Gaming Tournaments

Looks like Video Gaming Tournaments pay out better than Pool Tournaments in America.
Only a handful 40+ make decent money just like Pool.

As of 2013, the 15 highest-paid professional gamers in the world earned between $226,776 and $454,544. Over the course of about two or three years, these pro gamers participated in an average of 30 tournaments around the world.

Some top prizes clock in at $100,000 to $200,000 for a single victory. In some exceptional cases, tournaments offer prize pools reaching into the millions of dollars, but that amount is typically divided among a winning team of about five or six players in a competitive multi-player game.

Reality Check
Being able to subsist solely on a pro gaming salary is a lofty dream indeed. "Business Insider" and e-Sports Earnings reported that only 60 professional gamers worldwide have earned more than $100,000 in prize money, as of 2013. Speaking to “The New York Times” in 2012, Sundance Giovanni of Major League Gaming estimates that “only about 40 people in the U.S. can make a living playing video games. I'd like to get it to a hundred. I think we're a year or two away from that.”

How is Professional Pool doing?

Xbox and playstations. Is what hurt pool and among other things in our lives. Kids live on these things. I remember when they first came out. Asteroids and Space Invaders. Then all of a sudden the technology became better. The graphics phenomenal these kids are getting hooked on these violent games and even little stupid ones. And that's all the kids did play goddamn games. And then we got our freaking cell phones social media selfies it's out of control and mom and dad let it happen. And then the price of it all the new game every month . new release had to have it.no one's going to save up for a pool cue upgrade to the newest system. I believe technology has hurt a lot more than just pool. Granted it has its place technology that is.

Mr. Bond

Orbis Non Sufficit
Gold Member
Silver Member
A) Worsted woolen cloths, ie; Simonis, Championship and all the rest.
B) Racking aids.
C) Jump cues.
D) Double elimination tournaments.
E) Shorter races.
F) No Pro player division.
G) No Semi Pro division.
H) Pool table manufactures.
I) Aramith pool ball manufacturing.
J) Cell phones.
K) The internet.
L) Tournament promoters.
M) Tighter pockets.
N) Constantly changing rules for play.
O) Alternating breaks.
P) People that constantly complain about the "state of pool" but never lift a finger to change anything.

trentfromtoledo

8onthebreaktoledo
Silver Member
B) Racking aids.
C) Jump cues.
E) Shorter races.
G) No Semi Pro division.
J) Cell phones.
K) The internet.
L) Tournament promoters.
M) Tighter pockets.
O) Alternating breaks.
P) People that constantly complain about the "state of pool" but never lift a finger to change anything.

POOL IS DOIN JUST FINE! Enjoy the game and most importantly : HAVE FUN!

Trent

Looks like Video Gaming Tournaments pay out better than Pool Tournaments in America.

As of 2013, the 15 highest-paid professional gamers in the world earned between $226,776 and $454,544. Over the course of about two or three years, these pro gamers participated in an average of 30 tournaments around the world.

Some top prizes clock in at $100,000 to $200,000 for a single victory. In some exceptional cases, tournaments offer prize pools reaching into the millions of dollars, but that amount is typically divided among a winning team of about five or six players in a competitive multi-player game.

Reality Check
Being able to subsist solely on a pro gaming salary is a lofty dream indeed. "Business Insider" and e-Sports Earnings reported that only 60 professional gamers worldwide have earned more than $100,000 in prize money, as of 2013. Speaking to “The New York Times” in 2012, Sundance Giovanni of Major League Gaming estimates that “only about 40 people in the U.S. can make a living playing video games. I'd like to get it to a hundred. I think we're a year or two away from that.”

You hit it on the head! This is the single biggest issue in pool. It's the paramount problem. All the other points are negligible. Pay the players more and you will elevate the sport. Everything about it will be lifted including up and coming players and pool room owners.

Sent from my iPhone using AzBilliards Forums

Jaden

"no buds chill"
Silver Member
the only problems in pool...

There are only two problems with pool. On marginal equipment, it's played at too high a level, and the players, promoters and manufacturers think TOO short term and too individually for pool to get to a better place.

Jaden

mchnhed

I Came, I Shot, I Choked
Silver Member
So the question is.....
Where does the money come from?
Sales of what?
Cues?
Tables?
Pay per View?
Commercial time on pool shows?
Donations?

Throwing money at Tournaments will not bring new people into the sport.

You hit it on the head! This is the single biggest issue in pool. It's the paramount problem. All the other points are negligible. Pay the players more and you will elevate the sport. Everything about it will be lifted including up and coming players and pool room owners.

Sent from my iPhone using AzBilliards Forums

Reality Check

BC21

https://www.playpoolbetter.com
Gold Member
Silver Member
B) Racking aids.
C) Jump cues.
E) Shorter races.
G) No Semi Pro division.
J) Cell phones.
K) The internet.
L) Tournament promoters.
M) Tighter pockets.
O) Alternating breaks.

I could go on and on, but i think I've listed enough to get some good conversations started and to bring in the trolls as well.

J, K, and M (in my opinion). For a good many years, from the early 1990's anyway, the Internet has confined millions of people to their homes, glued to chairs in front of bulky monitors, now flat screens and laptops. I wonder how many of these people would've become pool players? Nowadays, every kid has a mobile phone, usually beginning around 10 years old or earlier. It's a form of entertainment, along with virtual reality gaming, that is so much more convenient than playing baseball or any other classic activity/sport, pool included.

Tighter pockets may cause enough frustration for beginners that they simply give up on trying to learn how to play pool. I love going to pool halls that accommodate weaker/recreational players by having a few easy (big pocket) tables in the place. This helps keep potential pool players involved in the game. It's much more fun to pocket balls than miss balls. If they're having fun they'll come back, they'll stick with it, and eventually a percentage of those recreational players will be playing on the tougher tables, hooked like the rest of us!! LoL

As I think someone else already posted, good billiard apps/graphic gaming may actually help drive a few people back to real pool tables.

mchnhed

I Came, I Shot, I Choked
Silver Member
We have a winner!

Add in the Governing Bodies and Leagues that think short term.

There are only two problems with pool. On marginal equipment, it's played at too high a level, and the players, promoters and manufacturers think TOO short term and too individually for pool to get to a better place.

Jaden

realkingcobra

Silver Member
A) Worsted woolen cloths, ie; Simonis, Championship and all the rest. Been using Simonis since 1971--so if Simonis hurt pool over the last 34 years, its been hurting for a lot longer than that.

B) Racking aids. Yes, these suck, big time

C) Jump cues. Adds a degree of excitement, makes safeties harder to play

D) Double elimination tournaments. When only 1/2 as many players show us, a DE torney makes it look like all of them showed up.

E) Shorter races. Err, no: wrong game.

I) Aramith pool ball manufacturing. Why?

J) Cell phones. I play people all the time, between shots they use their cell phone. I call these people Victims--their mind is never in the game

M) Tighter pockets. This turns off up and coming players.

N) Constantly changing rules for play. --THis--

O) Alternating breaks. If someone has not missed a ball, why should the inning be relinquished to the other player?
I lived in TX in 74'-75' stationed at FT Hood, played a lot of pool in bars in that area, and never came across any Simonis cloth anywhere. Stationed at CT Carson CO also in 1979-80 played a lot of pool there also, Scott Smith had a pool room there, Grady Matthews had a room there, 5 corner pocket pool roomz in the area, never played on Simonis. First time i ever seen Simonis cloth was in 1986 when i tried it for the first time installing it on a bar table, Simonis 760 green. Covered about 1,000 tables with it over a 2 year period, then pioneered the Granito cloth in about 1988, then Championship tour edition started sbowing up around 1990 or so which was when i decided to quit playing pool because i didn't like the direction pool was headed with the worsed woolen cloths, Stevens 22oz super weave was what we were all playing on at the time, closest cloth to the Stevens today would be the Championship Titan cloth, still requires a stroke to get around the table, less ball skids, easy to use a full length cue to jump on, but you can't putt your balls on it like todays players do...putt putt pool.

BC21

https://www.playpoolbetter.com
Gold Member
Silver Member
It's richly deserved reputation for sleaze and dishonesty.

I don't know.....the biggest surges in the the number of people becoming interested in pool (in the US anyway) occurred following the release of the film, The Hustler, back in the 1960's, and again in the 1980's after The Color of Money hit the theaters. Both movies glamorized the sleazy, gambling side of the game, which is what appealed to most people. They wanted to be Fats, or Fast Eddie, or Vince. A few years ago, when I was struggling with trying to make a buck in the billiards retail industry, we expected Poolhall Junkies to provide another big boost, but it fell flat on it's face. I liked the movie, regardless of the over-the-top unrealistic use of profanity. Maybe the movie would've done better if the dialogue would've been geared toward a more mature audience instead of a teenage audience. Hard to tell.

mchnhed

I Came, I Shot, I Choked
Silver Member
I don't know.....the biggest surges in the the number of people becoming interested in pool (in the US anyway) occurred following the release of the film,
The Hustler, back in the 1960's, and again in the 1980's after
The Color of Money
hit the theaters.

Both movies glamorized the sleazy, gambling side of the game, which is what appealed to most people. They wanted to be Fats, or Fast Eddie, or Vince.

My point exactly.
Everyone in America loves Gangsters.
Why do think Rap is so popular with White Kids?

A few years ago, when I was struggling with trying to make a buck in the billiards retail industry, we expected Poolhall Junkies to provide another big boost, but it fell flat on it's face. I liked the movie, regardless of the over-the-top unrealistic use of profanity. Maybe the movie would've done better if the dialogue would've been geared toward a more mature audience instead of a teenage audience. Hard to tell.
What about 9 Ball the movie?

easy-e

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
My point exactly.
Everyone in America loves Gangsters.
Why do think Rap is so popular with White Kids?

What about 9 Ball the movie?

The two best rappers on the planet are white. Eminem and Lil Dicky.

mchnhed

I Came, I Shot, I Choked
Silver Member
The two best rappers on the planet are white. Eminem and Lil Dicky.
I did not say Rappers were not White.
I said that the people who purchase the vast majority of Rap are White
and romanticize The Thug Life.

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I wonder in today's Facebook world, if this would work:

Every table in the pool hall has a stream, and when a banger goes to play, they live stream it on their Facebook page.

FB seems all about letting people know what you are doing, (the check in feature, for example). If people see something you are doing as interesting, they might come join you.

Sweatin'

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
All these things or any of them may or may not have played a part in the current status of pool in the U.S., but here's a fact: all things of this nature go through periods where they wax and wane. Sometimes there is an identifiable reason or set of reasons, sometimes not. It's just the nature of the universe.

Sadly, pool right now is on the wane. Live long enough and you'll likely see it come back.

mchnhed

I Came, I Shot, I Choked
Silver Member
I wonder in today's Facebook world, if this would work:

Every table in the pool hall has a stream, and when a banger goes to play, they live stream it on their Facebook page.

FB seems all about letting people know what you are doing, (the check in feature, for example). If people see something you are doing as interesting, they might come join you.
I would love it if the table had an overhead camera that you could get a download of for a small fee.
Start a "Strava" like website for people to post and compare plays.

mchnhed

I Came, I Shot, I Choked
Silver Member
All these things or any of them may or may not have played a part in the current status of pool in the U.S., but here's a fact: all things of this nature go through periods where they wax and wane. Sometimes there is an identifiable reason or set of reasons, sometimes not. It's just the nature of the universe.

Sadly, pool right now is on the wane. Live long enough and you'll likely see it come back.
Kinda like the Buffalo and the Dodo Bird?