What's more important, a good tip or a good shaft?

Pangit

Banned
shaft-1-13.jpg

Nostroke

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Impossible question- If you have a great shaft and total shit crumbling tip, the shaft is more important. If you have a great tip and a banana splintery shaft, the tip is more important.

JazzyJeff87

AzB Plutonium Member
Silver Member
Impossible question- If you have a great shaft and total shit crumbling tip, the shaft is more important. If you have a great tip and a banana splintery shaft, the tip is more important.

Sort of what I was thinking only backwards in a way. It’s interesting how other people see things. Using your same scenarios, in the first one I’d say the tip is more important...your shit tip is holding back your great shaft from performing well. And vice versa.

The tip is most important since it comes in contact with the cue ball. Without a good tip it doesn’t matter what’s going on behind it.

But then again a great tip won’t make up for a crooked shaft that’s unevenly hollowed out and a butt with a sliding weight bolt in it.

ShootingArts

Smorg is giving St Peter the 7!
Gold Member
Silver Member
often overlooked

Most have ferrules on their cues but jump from tip to shaft ignoring what can be a very important piece in between. I redid an even gross of cues for a pool hall. Over a hundred of the ferrules twisted off with a firm grip. Every one of them without exception had blue chalk build up between shaft and ferrule.

As a general statement, the closer to the cue ball the more important a component is. However, that is assuming all components are decent. If you have one really bad component it will outweigh all of the rest while a great component can be lost if there are other mediocre components.

Hu

JoeyInCali

Maker of Joey Bautista Cues
Silver Member
A false dilemma is a type of informal fallacy in which something is falsely claimed to be an "either/or" situation, when in fact there is at least one additional option. The false dilemma fallacy can also arise simply by accidental omission of additional options rather than by deliberate deception.

deanoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I am not sure my comments apply exactly,but I have had cues
when I tought it was the shaft I didn't like only to find that
when I put a different tip on the cue that I liked the cue after all

I bet there are a few out there who don't like their new cues and even selll them
when if they had puta different tip or two on the cue everything would have worked out fine

By going to a softer tip I find that what I thought was a cue with too hard of a hit
played better

Pangit

Banned
But then again a great tip won’t make up for a crooked shaft that’s unevenly hollowed out and a butt with a sliding weight bolt in it.

How many "crooked" cue shafts have you purchased/played with?

Please tell us who made it? Enquiring minds want to know.

You can usually find at least a handful of "straight" house cues in most places.

tips-newsletter.jpg

Knels

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I burnished the sides of a moori soft after a week or two of breaking it in/trimming the mushroom off. Man does it hold the line much better, especially on inside English. Dont know why i ever stopped burnishing, so yea tip is pretty important i would say