When Matchroom purchased the U S Open from the Behrman family

alstl

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Were there no Americans willing to take it on?

The Brits would never consider changing the color of the balls in the English snooker championships because they have respect for the game. They have no respect for the American game which is why they screw with it for the sole purpose of trying to sell sets of balls with these new colors.

In order to watch the finals I was supposed to give my email address to the Brits and then likely get a bunch of spam in my inbox.

MajorMiscue

Democat
Gold Member
It’s good to be the king.

-td
That depends on whether the juice is worth the squeeze. Grey cloth and purple 5 balls does not make up for a game that discourages creativity in favor of safe play and staying in line and can be won on a fluke.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

The Brits would never consider changing the color of the balls in the English snooker championships because they have respect for the game. They have no respect for the American game which is why they screw with it for the sole purpose of trying to sell sets of balls with these new colors.

In order to watch the finals I was supposed to give my email address to the Brits and then likely get a bunch of spam in my inbox.
Wow. Paranoid much? The balls(which i detest too btw) were co-designed by Emily at Matchroom and Aramith. The 'story' is that these are 'supposed' to be easier to see on smaller screens aka smartfones. I don't know if MR gets any $ from Aramith on sets sold. You're overstating the possibility of getting spammed to death. I have not heard that at all. IMO MR is the best thing to happen in pro pool since i started playing pool in '78. The PBT was good but this is on a global level. As for the US Open purchase everything i read/heard was that MR made the family an offer that no US person/co. could come close to.

rexus31

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Wow. Paranoid much? The balls(which i detest too btw) were co-designed by Emily at Matchroom and Aramith. The 'story' is that these are 'supposed' to be easier to see on smaller screens aka smartfones. I don't know if MR gets any $ from Aramith on sets sold. You're overstating the possibility of getting spammed to death. I have not heard that at all. IMO MR is the best thing to happen in pro pool since i started playing pool in '78. The PBT was good but this is on a global level.
Agreed. Hate the balls but LOVE what Matchroom is doing for pro pool. At least I haven't heard of player's checks bouncing or them being asked to wait a month until they cash it, so Matchroom must be doing something right.

skogstokig

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

what kind of spam? there's usually quite a few tricksters posing as event promoters whenever there's a sporting event

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
what kind of spam? there's usually quite a few tricksters posing as event promoters whenever there's a sporting event
I've heard zero reports of this happening if using MRSport or DAZN streams. Now if you go cheapass and stream via one of those Russian-based sports streamers you better be prepared for the worst. I watched a F1 race onetime on one of these sites and i got HAMMERED with ads, spam, offers from Belarus hookers(maybe should'a tried that), you name it.

td873

C is for Cookie
Silver Member
That depends on whether the juice is worth the squeeze. Grey cloth and purple 5 balls does not make up for a game that discourages creativity in favor of safe play and staying in line and can be won on a fluke.
Disagree completely. Remember IPT. They paid the bills. They made the rules.

Matchroom selling out 256 in minutes. Players love it. Train is moving with or without you.

Repeat: it’s good to be the king.

-td

benjaminwah

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Now they need to get a partnership with ESPN. I had the matches on my lap top at work all week, everyday I’d explain what I was watching and it would turn into questions why an American event is only available to watch on an English channel and not ESPN. (I know you can watch it with DAZN).

Fatboy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

I agree they disrespected our tradition and changed our balls

Let’s set up a gofundme and buy snooker and make their coveted black ball orange!

Best
Fatboy <——-the Queen’s dead (rip) now the window is open to attack the UK. J/K

EL'nino

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I truly hope Matchroom can elevate pool to the next level but for me everything they have touched they have broken with the US Open.

L.S. Dennis

Aside from the color of the balls being screwed with, the game of nineball as is played is fundamentally flawed in my opinion. I idea that one person run a whole rack up the eight, then hang the nine and their opponent taps in the bal and wins the rack is ridiculous. Also the format being used in the US Open where someone can come from the 1 loss side and eliminate someone who has never lost in the last sixteen is also ridiculous. They should allow for a true double elimination where everyone can lose once, whereby the person who enters the finals with one loss has to beat his opponent who has not lost twice. If not that then simply go to a single elimination for the whole tournament.

I know this won’t happen, just some thoughts,

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Now they need to get a partnership with ESPN. I had the matches on my lap top at work all week, everyday I’d explain what I was watching and it would turn into questions why an American event is only available to watch on an English channel and not ESPN. (I know you can watch it with DAZN).
I think ESPN (a Disney brand) is only interested in what it has total control over. Unless they buy Matchroom, I doubt ESPN/Disney is going to get involved.

pwd72s

recreational banger
Silver Member
"Well, that's what happens when the money comes in."

The above was Stirling Moss commenting on today's version of formula one racing. But somehow, I think it applies to the US Open as well.

Whether this is bad or good is up to the individual to decide. Not that our opinions matter to those in power. The only decision we have is whether or not to watch.

CaptainBly

Registered
I don't understand why everyone is fixated on ESPN, a dying network on a dying distribution model. Actually, streaming IS the future, just not on DAZN. Very few people under 40 watch any cable tv, we haven't had it in almost 10 yrs. My understanding is DAZN was chosen as Matchroom already had a mutli year, multi million dollar contract with them for Boxing. So the partnership was already there.
Here is the thing, most of the pool shown on ESPN back in the day, paid to be on there not the other way around. Think about that.

RunoutJJ

Professional Banger
Silver Member
Elite equipment (like others have said about the balls I agree) elite competition, elite setting, players paid and solid promotion….

I really can’t see a problem other than the color of the balls. Matchroom has single handedly set the bar higher than any other organization for professional pool. Everyone should be cheering them on and I’m sure the players are extremely happy so what’s the problem?!?

As far as I’ve noticed it’s amazing that the last 16 have been players that most have never heard of before. The next step in this endeavor is to get pocket billiards recognized as a true sport and get a shot at the Olympic level!! It’s almost undeniable at this stage to deny it any longer!!

If it does go Olympic you can thank matchroom for making that happen.

muskyed

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
While I agree, streaming seems to be the future for now, cost wise it's just not an option for a lot of us. My only option for streaming capability would be starlink, at a setup fee of $600, and monthly fee of $125. Just not worth it to me. Have not had internet available for 15 years in my last two houses. Only internet has been off our phones, with unlimited capped at 15 gig a month, but that has been just increased to 50 gig.
Agree or disagree, I feel the best future for pool is free streaming. Only way to actually grow pool to the masses. Pay per view will only work for the die hard players.

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
ESPN has little to no relevance to pool's future. The top players are making twice the money they were making just a year ago. Pool as a sport is growing. Nine-ball has led the way for growth in our sport, and the Matchroom Tour is the best we've seen in this century.

alstl

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Let’s set up a gofundme and buy snooker and make their coveted black ball orange!

Best
Not even Trudeau came up with a scam where he changed the color of the balls so he could try to make a few bucks selling the goofy balls. That's a new low.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member

Best
I think you may want to watch your step. How would you like this to happen?

1665971230681.png

(Stolen from a FleeceBunk post about the unorange five.)