Where is ShootingArts? Wanna chat old strokes!

Buster8001

Did you say shrubberies?
Silver Member
Where has the slip-stroke gone?

The slip-stroke has been a study of interest of mine for years. I can't seem to find an example on video, and I've never been able to replicate that stroke.

Later in life, I've realized my grandfather had a slip-stroke. A always found his stroke odd. It seemed, on his final back stroke, he would pinch his bridge and reposition his back hand. It happened fast, so I couldn't figure it out. When I got in stroke, in my teens, I was already a better shooter than my father and grandfather. But, for whatever reason, my grandfather could move the cueball. I mean effortlessly. He might dodge or rattle the shot, but his cueball would travel and travel. I've never been able to do that. Maybe it's nostalgia. But, I seem to remember the same being said for the old slip-stroke guys - they could really move the rock.
 
Where has the slip-stroke gone?

The slip-stroke has been a study of interest of mine for years. I can't seem to find an example on video, and I've never been able to replicate that stroke.

Later in life, I've realized my grandfather had a slip-stroke. A always found his stroke odd. It seemed, on his final back stroke, he would pinch his bridge and reposition his back hand. It happened fast, so I couldn't figure it out. When I got in stroke, in my teens, I was already a better shooter than my father and grandfather. But, for whatever reason, my grandfather could move the cueball. I mean effortlessly. He might dodge or rattle the shot, but his cueball would travel and travel. I've never been able to do that. Maybe it's nostalgia. But, I seem to remember the same being said for the old slip-stroke guys - they could really move the rock.

I think it is an unneeded weak stroke trait that has been all but lost.
 
Here's a video of an aging Jimmy Moore...around 12:30, a good look at his slip stroke.../QUOTE]

Only saw that when I returned to Nashville on a visit. My brother-in-law (at the time) took me to some pool hall to see “Lil’ John” shoot. Very smooth and interesting stroke with the drop-back stroke. Never seen it since.
 
Where has the slip-stroke gone?

The slip-stroke has been a study of interest of mine for years. I can't seem to find an example on video, and I've never been able to replicate that stroke.

Later in life, I've realized my grandfather had a slip-stroke. A always found his stroke odd. It seemed, on his final back stroke, he would pinch his bridge and reposition his back hand. It happened fast, so I couldn't figure it out. When I got in stroke, in my teens, I was already a better shooter than my father and grandfather. But, for whatever reason, my grandfather could move the cueball. I mean effortlessly. He might dodge or rattle the shot, but his cueball would travel and travel. I've never been able to do that. Maybe it's nostalgia. But, I seem to remember the same being said for the old slip-stroke guys - they could really move the rock.



ShootingArts (Hu) don’t come around here much now days. Before Facebook Hu was one of the top dogs on this site for story telling. I was so impressed by his writing skills and great tales that I decided to take a trip down south to see if he was for real. Well I will tell you he toned it down a little when he was online. ShootingArts is actually more impressive in real life! If you want to PM me I can share his FB info, I am sure he would love to share his ideas on strokes with you.
 
One of the last times Hu visited us on NPR, a neighbor wouldn't stop flying his drone
over Hu's property...after several warnings, Hu blew out of the sky.
...the law investigated...and deemed it a justified shooting.
 
Here's a video of an aging Jimmy Moore...around 12:30, a good look at his slip stroke.
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct...=bY2wCC9EXIc&usg=AOvVaw2ZKSL8WYirIo6tF_TGuWib

Couldn't find one of Cornbread Red...another great example of the slip.

Thanks, looks like the Cowboy played with a Balabushka - Johnny Ervolino also used a slip stroke. the cowboy sure had soft hands on that Bushka - he was a one-two slip and stroke guy with real soft hands on the cue- some of his cut shots were just amazing given his age- this guy could really play in his day!
 
Here's a video of an aging Jimmy Moore...around 12:30, a good look at his slip stroke.
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct...=bY2wCC9EXIc&usg=AOvVaw2ZKSL8WYirIo6tF_TGuWib

Couldn't find one of Cornbread Red...another great example of the slip.

Awesome! Thank you.

ShootingArts (Hu) don’t come around here much now days. Before Facebook Hu was one of the top dogs on this site for story telling. I was so impressed by his writing skills and great tales that I decided to take a trip down south to see if he was for real. Well I will tell you he toned it down a little when he was online. ShootingArts is actually more impressive in real life! If you want to PM me I can share his FB info, I am sure he would love to share his ideas on strokes with you.

Sending a PM to you, sir.

Thanks, looks like the Cowboy played with a Balabushka - Johnny Ervolino also used a slip stroke. the cowboy sure had soft hands on that Bushka - he was a one-two slip and stroke guy with real soft hands on the cue- some of his cut shots were just amazing given his age- this guy could really play in his day!

Damn right!
 
One of the last times Hu visited us on NPR, a neighbor wouldn't stop flying his drone
over Hu's property...after several warnings, Hu blew out of the sky.
...the law investigated...and deemed it a justified shooting.

And I'll bet that if he did allegedly shoot that intrusive thing down, he did it with one shot. :smile:

Hu's one of the smartest and nicest guy's I've, unfortunately, never met. :thumbup2: Spoke with him a few weeks ago, keeping himself busy and doing pretty well. Hope he decides to start hanging out here again...real soon.
 
Don (‘The Preacher’) Feeney tought me the ‘slip stroke’. Gave me some lessons on his home table in Naperville back in the 90s (relevant excerpts from his instructional video can be found on YouTube).
BTW: I used to run into him later on when I was at the top of my game, and tried get him to play me 14.1, but he always refused. Puzzling, since he was once a 150+ ball runner, and even at his advanced age, I never expected to beat him. My own negative experiences with teaching just left me to assume that, if it happened to be a bad day for him, and a lucky/good one for me, the student beating the teacher might be just too hard to take (?).
 
Like a bad penny . . .

I just keep turning up! This is a very good video of a slip stroke, only twenty seconds long. Looks blurry on my 'puter now but lock in on the back hand. He uses a big slip here.

I like a slipstroke and think it is still the best solution for some problems. Even when it isn't needed, it is an art. An art worth keeping alive I believe.

Hu

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RVRo4IiBaJc
 
I just keep turning up! This is a very good video of a slip stroke, only twenty seconds long. Looks blurry on my 'puter now but lock in on the back hand. He uses a big slip here.

I like a slipstroke and think it is still the best solution for some problems. Even when it isn't needed, it is an art. An art worth keeping alive I believe.

Hu

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RVRo4IiBaJc

Thanx, Hu
I have a theory that a slip stroke works because it’s impossible to clutch the cue.
....I have certain tricky one pocket banks where I gotta hold whitey to my opponent’s side
of the table with a lot of outside english....can’t do it with slipping...just a couple inches.
 
I just keep turning up! This is a very good video of a slip stroke, only twenty seconds long. Looks blurry on my 'puter now but lock in on the back hand. He uses a big slip here.

I like a slipstroke and think it is still the best solution for some problems. Even when it isn't needed, it is an art. An art worth keeping alive I believe.

Hu

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RVRo4IiBaJc

What ? Quit staying low bro. Thank you, Jesus.
Honestly, you may post daily, but after losing JohnnyT...peace.
 
started to come post when I heard about Johnny

What ? Quit staying low bro. Thank you, Jesus.
Honestly, you may post daily, but after losing JohnnyT...peace.


I started to come post something when I heard we lost Johnny. Seems like the last few times I have came was to put in well wishes for the dead. Not many JohnnyT's left in the world, he will be missed. Odd thing, I hadn't thought about Johnny in months and I was thinking about him at roughly the time he died. Makes me wonder if he brushed by in passing. Second time that has happened in only a few months.

Not much to say these days, so many of the old gang are gone. I do like seeing a few "Serve and Spice" badges still up.

I hope things are great your way!

Hu
 
I just keep turning up! This is a very good video of a slip stroke, only twenty seconds long. Looks blurry on my 'puter now but lock in on the back hand. He uses a big slip here.

I like a slipstroke and think it is still the best solution for some problems. Even when it isn't needed, it is an art. An art worth keeping alive I believe.

Hu

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RVRo4IiBaJc

Thanks for turning up, Hu. I sent you some messages on FB messenger, as well.
Any tips you can give me would be most appreciated. My timing is off, right now. But, I did just start experimenting with the stroke.

Josh
 
what I have found . . .

Well, bearing in mind that I just learned on my own too here is what I have found. First, I looked at old players and saw their idea of a level cue was still four to six inches higher at the back of the butt from the tip. Raising the back of the cue that little bit makes a slip stroke much easier and easy to do with an open bridge.

Another thing, my wrapless cue is too grabby for a slip stroke, works much better with a linen wrap. I think the wrapless cue would work with a little powder on the handle but don't remember if I tested that or not. A little wrist motion can break the cue loose if it is sticking but I believe that to be bad practice.

It can be very momentary but I slip from a stop or after the cue has just started backwards as I see the old practitioners do. It is easy to release if you do it while the cue is still going forward but very hard to control.

Cuebuddy has played with the slipstroke more than I have. He eventually abandoned it for the most part.

Jimmy Moore used it for a lifetime and used it well as we all know. "Cowboy" had one of the most complicated strokes in pool. He did his practice strokes an inch to the side of where he was hitting the cue ball, then shifted to his contact point after slipping the final back stroke. For all of that he could shoot finesse shots with the best of them. Still some Cowboy Jimmy Moore video on youtube. You won't see his slip stroke often because the cameras have an annoying habit of swapping views at just the wrong time!

Somebody is probably very confused about the messages on facebook, I am not getting them! :D

Hu
 
Back
Top